Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies
Topic: CARS 3 Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Trailer suggests this franchise may have gotten back on (ahem) track.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 2  

The one Pixar film I absolutely did not like. Never bothered with the sequel. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 3  

The one Pixar film I absolutely did not like. Never bothered with the sequel.

CARS was one that I warmed up to very slowly. Mostly it was the voice talent that did it. The film as a whole has some deep "philosophical" flaws -- such as that annoying question of why a world where the lifeforms are cars would have those cars, and their buildings, scaled to human proportions. And why are there door handles?

CARS 2 skidded totally off the track.

CARS 3, based on one trailer, seems to have something of what I finally came to enjoy about the original.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Generally not a fan of this series, and my kids don't seem to be too wild about it, either.  Over the years, interestingly enough, it was CARS 2 that they returned to more often, rather than the original film.  And I have to admit, although Part 1 has the better story (and the added bonus of some of the last roles for both Paul Newman and George Carlin), the sequel did make me laugh out loud a number of times.

My kids are now 12, 10 and almost-7, and I feel that they think the CARS films are now "for babies."  Doesn't look likely that we'll be catching Part 3 in the theaters... though they might still check it out when it reaches Netflix.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 28 April 2017 at 8:21pm

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 5  

I saw the first one and moderatly enjoyed it. Never bothered with the sequel.
Even as a child I would have had asked myself the same questions : why are they so much mimicking the human condition ?
The only answer I can find is that this takes place far away in the future, where human species is long gone, and machines and A.I created for the car industry have taken over the world and adapted to their masters lifestyle, mimicking them unconsciously while following their basic programs (like creating handles).
I'm thinking too much, I know.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 3:16am | IP Logged | 6  

I thought of the first as a big budget WHEELIE AND THE CHOPPER BUNCH.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

I saw CARS 3 over the weekend, and I absolutely loved it. It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention or chatter - the reviews were more positive than the second installment, but some reviewers have been lukewarm on it. I think it is an emotional and funny story, and it really hit me. It's great to see Lightning McQueen front and center, and what he goes through in this really resonated with me.

I like the first CARS a lot when I saw it in the theater, and I grew to appreciate it even more on DVD viewings. CARS 2 didn't do much for me to the point where I can't remember much about it!   CARS 3 stands proudly next to the original - I even like it more right now, but I think that is because I just saw it. Time will tell if I continue to favor this over the original.

Highly recommended as a theatrical experience. I missed it opening weekend, so I didn't get the big audience experience. It was a relatively small crowd, but it didn't matter - the movie looked and sounded great, and it turned out to be a benefit to see it without too much distraction.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm a pretty big Pixar fan, but I still haven't sat through either of the Cars films. I did watch "Planes" and I was not ignited with the fervor I get from "The Incredbles" or "Monsters Inc." But I surely will give "Cars 3" its chance.

As to why there are door handles and human sized (and concepts)... that's explained in the Great Pixar Theory; the idea that all the Pixar movies take place in the same universe. It includes magic, super heroes, self-aware vehicles, and all.
http://www.pixartheory.com/

After all, that damned Pizza Planet Truck keeps showing up in every movie... :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post Reply | Post New Topic |