Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: MST3K Season 11 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm loving the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Netflix. The movie choices are terrific and it's just as fun as the previous seasons. The new cast is great and I love that Patton Oswalt plays TV's Son of TV's Frank.  I'm up to episode 6. Of those, I laughed the hardest at episode 4 (AVALANCHE), which gets absolutely nuts once the titular avalanche hits.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've only watched the first two episodes, so far. My only gripe is that the theme song is kind of weak. (The actual song, not the opening sequence. The sequence itself is great.) 

The show is spot on, but Servo's new voice takes some getting used to, since he sounds nothing like Kevin Murphy. On the other hand, Crow doesn't sound much different. Hampton Yount sounds like he's channeling Trace and Bill as Crow.

(I'm a card-carrying MSTie. Literally. I actually still have my fan club card. And I also own a copy of The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide signed by most of the cast.)
Back to Top profile | search | email

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"I also own a copy of The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide signed by most of the cast.)"

Me, too! I had it signed by the cast right around the time I saw the movie in a theater in Greenwich Village.

As for the revival, I'm happy that it's back, but I do have a quibble or two.

I feel like the riffs are a bit too rapid-fire at times, like the new writers were trying to one-up each other. Sometimes my brain is still processing a riff while they fire off another so I end up missing some.

I also still don't care for Servo's new voice. At least when they went from Josh to Kevin, the voice was still deep and distinct. There are times during the new show where I can't tell who's doing the riffing because the voices sound too similar. And with my above rapid-fire issue, it all blends together a bit too much. I will say that the new Crow is excellent. If someone had told me that Trace returned to do the voice, I may have been fooled for a bit.

I've only watched AVALANCHE all the way through so far. I never really cared for the 50's Sci-Fi flicks, which yes I realize was their bread and butter. I'll have to get around to finishing more episodes.

The original MST3K had some growing pains, so it's not a big deal that the revival has a couple. Though with replacing the entire cast at once, unlike the gradual changes made previously, I don't quite feel at home yet. But thankfully we have Rifftrax for that!

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 May 2017 at 7:49am
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |