Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Blade Runner 2049 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dam its got Elvis in it, now I have to go see it.
Back to Top profile | search

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm another one of the (maybe not so) few who prefers the theatrical cut.  I really resent Ridley Scott's revisionism when it comes to the "is he a replicant" question.  It renders the entire emotional core of the movie moot if it's just robots beating up on each other.  It kicks the reason Dick wrote the story completely to the curb, and it even undermines the romance angle. 

Ford's dispirited voice over actually never bothered me because I was expecting a futuristic noir film when I walked through the door the first time around. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I like the idea of the film asking the question (but leaving it all subtle and ambiguous), but not with there being a definitive answer.

And, as noted, the emotional core of the film is Deckard getting back in touch with his own humanity after goIng through this experience.

It's been quite some time since I watched the film in any of its incarnations. So, I think I'll be cracking open my Blu-Ray Esper briefcase boxset and rewatching everything (all versions of the film, and all special features), soon.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 03 September 2017 at 8:23pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, I don't remember who told the story (I listen to so many film podcasts that I can't keep track) but I remember someone saying that sometime in the late 80s, Ridley Scott just wanted to say something that would shock people so he randomly said that Deckard was a replicant.  Then in subsequent edits of the movie, he kept inserting more and more stuff to imply it just because he liked blowing people's minds and not because there was any basis for it.  The screenwriters disavowed it at some point (at least David Webb Peoples did). 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I programmed 20 BLADE RUNNER trivia questions into the front of
house POS screens last night. Fun!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is a great article about the making of Blade Runner. It's really interesting with some laugh out loud moments, like the bit about the t-shirt wars with Ridley Scott and the crew and Harrison Ford getting upset when he realized what was happening while shooting the (deleted in the theatrical version) unicorn dream, “Goddammit, I thought we said I wasn’t a replicant!”

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

All I can say about this film, for now, is:

I finally saw the trailer up on the big screen last week, before a showing of IT... the only thing that got me excited was the synth score blaring out of the theater speakers.

The visuals and dialogue left me completely cold.  Almost looks like it should be re-titled as BLADE RUNNER: PROMETHEUS!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They released the second prequel short film to Blade Runner: 2049, I believe last Friday. This one titled Blade Runner 2048: Nowhere to Run and starring Dave Bautista as a replicant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYH9aGEEGg

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

FYI-- I was in a bookstore, this afternoon, and saw that a third edition of Paul M. Sammon's FUTURE NOIR: THE MAKING OF BLADE RUNNER has just come out. This edition is revised and expanded, with new interviews and information.

Ten years ago, I picked up the second edition (a UK-only release), which was put out to promote the Final Cut of the film. This new edition omits sections from the last one, but also inserts a fair amount of brand-new material, so I deemed it different enough to be worth picking up.

FUTURE NOIR is essential reading for any fan of the film, and is also one of the single best "making-of" books ever produced. It's often referred to as "The BLADE RUNNER Bible".

I'll also soon be diving back into my Blu-Ray BR briefcase boxset to watch all of the versions of the film and all of the special features.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks for the heads up, Greg. Sounds like something I really need to read.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |