Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

1. X-Men #113- Storm almost frees herself from the chair in which Magneto's imprisoned her.

2. FF #268- The doctor tells Reed that Sue has miscarried.

3. Alpha Flight #12- The numerical shaped panels counting down to disaster.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Monje
Byrne Robotics Member

JBF Microes Master

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

The first one that came to mind is from Generations #1, when Superman and Batman first meet.  With Batman dropping Ultra-Humanite's henchman, and Superman catching him.  How Batman says he wouldn't have dropping him if he knew that Superman was going to catch him and  Superman says he wouldn't have caught him if he knew Batman dropped him.  It immediately shows how neither of these guys was as nice about not killing the bad guys when they started as we all came to know them to be.

Second, Fantastic Four #243.  Galactus Falls.  A pretty big moment seeing Galactus take a tumble, but you managed convey the magnitude of it amazingly well.

And finally, Batman Captain America, when they first meet.  A moment the child in me always dreamed of seeing, and never thought would happen, brought to me by my all-time favorite writer/artist.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Definitely one of my top three:
Back to Top profile | search

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

And this one immediately comes to mind as well... Yeah, I know it may be a bit cliche now, but it still has staying power with me.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Susan Richards loses her child. "Fantastic Four" #269.

•••

I look back at all that page today, and think how much my approach has changed. Now I would draw a very complex and detailed scene of the hospital floor. Doctors, nurses, orderlies, patients, gurneys, wheelchairs, cops, perps, you name it, and dead center Reed and the doctor as an island of terrible calm right in the middle of it all.

Something I could not have pulled off back then.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

First one that comes to mind is the Death of Guardian (Mac), AF #12. Back then I was still naive and thought death was real in comic books and his death felt real.

Second is Marvel Two-In-One #50. The page where you drew the present day Thing meeting the earlier era Thing. That was a very geek out moment for me when I was a kid. Loved it.

One more to come later.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 09 May 2017 at 8:53pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

Tough to pick a #1 scene, but this is the first comic book page that I ever showed to my father. I probably did it to prove to him that there was a lot more to the comic books that I was reading than he was giving me credit for... Never heard him make a negative comment afterward, so I guess it did the job.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

About that page to "Avengers" #181, I have wondered for years -- And never thought to ask you on the board, JB -- Did you draw that page first and Perez drew a similar scene used for that issue's cover, or was it the other way 'round?

•••

At that time on AVENGERS I was doing detailed breakdowns. Roger Stern called them "flakedowns" -- halfway between full pencils and breakdowns. Not terrible cost effective, as I would often do pages that took nearly as long to finish as a fully penciled page. That round the table group shot was one such page. It took me two hours to complete.

Unfortunately I mentioned this to Shooter, and the next thing I knew he'd gotten George to recreate the scene for the cover. This created in the minds of many fans the same question you just asked.

(Not the only time this happened. When Chris and I did the circus issue, opening with a bewildered Beast looking up at what was revealed, in a double page spread, to be Banshee as a carnival barker and the X-Men as inmates of a freak show, Shooter said the Banshee reveal should have been the splash. So he had Dave Cockrum do his version for the cover, and the scene Chris and I had plotted was ruined.)

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

1) Fantastic Four #259- Ben is tossed by Terrax in the air, lands hard in front of a grocery store, tells Terrax to do his worst, and then is tossed into the store.

2) Alpha Flight #11- Heather taking a look around the empty apartment with a flood of memories in her head.

3) Fantastic Four #245- The last page with Reed telling Sue the truth about why all of Ben's "cures" have failed.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, I'm certainly doomed...

What can I say about that last one? Dr. Doom & the FF, in the ruins of Latveria... Epic.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

Tough to pick a #1 scene, but this is the first comic book page that I ever showed to my father. I probably did it to prove to him that there was a lot more to the comic books that I was reading than he was giving me credit for... Never heard him make a negative comment afterward, so I guess it did the job.

•••

Unfortunately, I didn't. When Rog and I were plotting that scene, we told Shooter what we had in mind. He went home and pictured it in his head, and then expected me, with no further communication, to draw what he had imagined. When I didn't, he had someone else redraw that last page.

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

X-Men 135 - The scene where Dark Phoenix is flying away from Earth into space on the right side of the page and on the left are panels with the Thing and Mr. Fantastic, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer reacting to her power. As a kid seeing this for the first time I was blown away, not only was Dark Phoenix terrifying to see but the small guest appearances of characters from other books really made the Marvel Universe seem connected and kind of small (in a cosmic sense).

Fantastic Four 243 - The scene where "Galactus Falls". This one was a toss up between this scene and the cover. I love the cover because it depicts Galactus squaring off against some of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel universe and holding his own, but seeing him brought low by those same heroes and falling into the building was awesome. This entire Galactus story is one of my favorites of JB's Fantastic Four run.

Fantastic Four 259 - The scene where Sue Squares off against one of Doom's robot doubles, then Doom himself but ultimately decides that it is more important to help her teammates rather than engage with Doom directly. Your depiction of Sue as a strong, intelligent and powerful woman was one of the highlights of your FF run, before then I was never a huge fan of the character.

This was tough because I didn't want to solely use examples of older work since there are scenes from later in JB's career I really love but in the end these comics were the one's I was reading at an age when comics had a newness and magical quality that didn't last into adulthood. These scenes (and ones like them) had an impact that lasted for years and contributed to me still reading comics decades later.

-edited for spelling and clarification-

Edited by Michael Murphy on 09 May 2017 at 7:47pm

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |