Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Unfortunately, I didn't. When Rog and I were plotting that scene, we told Shooter what we had in mind. He went home and pictured it in his head, and then expected me, with no further communication, to draw what he had imagined. When I didn't, he had someone else redraw that last page.

I guess that means I get to make an alibi choice for my #1 :-)

Sorry to hear about Shooter's intrusion into you and Stern's work... Has enough time passed to where you can give me and the other forum members an idea of what you and Roger had crafted for the final page?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Captain America #254 - The Brother Blood decapitation scene. 

X-Men #136 - Professor X confronting Dark Phoenix.

Man of Steel #3 - Batman revealing to Superman that the innocent life that Batman put in jeopardy was Batman's.

I didn't include anything from Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Generations or Superman, because there are far too many scenes for me to have to narrow down from those titles.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 09 May 2017 at 11:19pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 3  

Guardian's death scene in Alpha Flight #12. (Most shocked I've ever been reading a comic.)

"Galactus falls!" in Fantastic Four #243. (As I've mentioned before, this issue got me back into comics at 13 after I'd given them as "kid's stuff.")   

The Guardian as Delphine Courtney reveal after the fake out that he was "back from the dead" at the end Alpha Flight #26. (And I thought I couldn't get more upset than I did reading Alp;ha Flight #12. Damn you, JB!)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:45am | IP Logged | 4  

Avengers West Coast issue 50 The return of the Human Torch

Captain America destroy's Baron Blood

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 10 May 2017 at 2:51am

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 5  

This one was a real challenge and, despite giving myself time to think before posting, I suspect my favourite scenes will continue to change.

I've gone with all Alpha Flight scenes. It's the title I have read again and again far more than any other title and from which the scenes resonate the most.

I discounted some of my favourite moments because I felt they were exactly that, moments, rather then fully fledged scenes. (Northstar flying on page 3 of AF #8 may be my favourite comic book image ever but it's not a scene per se.) So, my three scenes are as follows:

AF #22 There is a two-page interlude where Heather and Elizabeth are out shopping in the rain and Heather thinks she sees Mac, but of course, as Elizabeth puts it, "But ... but Heather ... he's dead!!!" Of course, Elizabeth puts it down Heather grieving but we saw him too. So much in two pages and beautifully setting up what was to come.

AF #28 Omega Flight are fleeing having arguably beaten Alpha Flight for a second time only to be taken apart over nine pages by Madison Jeffries who literally just lifts a finger. Bitter-sweet of course because being JB's last issue on AF we would never find out quite what he would have done Jeffries with the character instead simply becoming another version of Box.

AF #7 This was a close one for my third slot but I have always loved the final two page of this issue, dubbed an "unconnected interlude", where Delphine Courtney recruits chess-playing, hot dog munching Alec Thorne ("Or should I say Smart Alec of Gamma Flight?") to join Omega Flight, although we don't yet know this.

Edited by Matthew Wilkie on 10 May 2017 at 5:21am

Jeffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 6  

The difference between John's early and later art is so contrasting.
What happened to that early wonderful art?...What..happened!!! 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 7  

The difference between John's early and later art is so contrasting.
What happened to that early wonderful art?...What..happened!!! 

It got better?

I've been guilty of "his old stuff is better" thoughts in the past to be honest; however, only this week, prompted by another thread, I was browsing through Triple Helix and Alpha Flight and, as much as I love AF, the improvement and development was significant.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 8  

It got better?

And how!

I love JB's FANTASTIC FOUR, but his art on something more recent like COLD
WAR is Hulk-sized leaps beyond that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nelson Zeppilli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 9  

It was so tough! Picking only 3 scenes seems so unfair for all those scenes I love in your work, JB, so many stuff that touched me, shocked me or made me laugh. But here we go:

1. Black Jesus (JBNM 21). That you, an atheist, could touch me, an atheist, with a character finding faith tells a lot about your talent as a writer.

2. The death of Jean Grey (X-MEN 137). Heart-wrenching to my young self (even more considering I related a lot to Scott).

3. Nova returning to Earth and encountering the Shakesperian robot (THE LAST GALACTUS STORY). A beautiful and bitter-sweet moment in an epic story-line.

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 10  

The scene of Wolverine, under Sauron's control, fighting the X-Men. This issue seem to be where I started to see how much of a badass Wolverine could be, my favorite scene, from my favorite issue, and this locked in Wolverine as my favorite character!

Terrax vs the FF and the Thing knocking Terrax through multiple buildings with a single punch. That whole Galactus arc has such a epic cinematic feel to it. It felt like John was BOTH drawing the comic and directing the movie that was playing in my head.
Scan taken from Eelco's wonderful FF collection. Here's link to his Byrne treasures on ComicArtFans 

And finally, the death of Guardian in Alpha Flight 12. WOW sooo unexpected and shocking to kill the team leader just 12 issues into the series. I thought the countdown sequence was amazing.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11  

My first two choices are pretty-much written in stone for me:

The final page of FF 238, THE MORE THINGS CHANGE

"No, I ain't alright...I ain't never gonna be alright again..."

Page 14 of Captain America 250, CAP FOR PRESIDENT!

"I...I won't, Mrs. Crosley."

As for a third choice...boy, if you asked me on ten different days, I'd probably give you ten different answers.  Today's answer is:

Pages 4 - 6 of FF 249, MAN AND SUPER-MAN!

Two chance meetings in the park.  One does not go well:
"She was scared.  She tried ta hide it, but I scared her."

One does:
"You're the Thing!  Oh, thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!"

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 12  

I'll mention some that I don't think have so far.

1. X-Men#136: The scene during the Dark Phoenix saga when Logan decides he has to kill Jean, she reverts some level of control and pleads with him to do it and he hesitates...

2. The glimpse in AF#1 where you see the team members of Beta and Gamma Flight.

3. FF#285 - the final few pages of "Hero". 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |