The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Favorite Scenes Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...Storm and the hairpin...

•••

Ah, if only you could have seen that scene as Chris and I created it, before Shooter "fixed" it.

On the topic of the Great Beasts, btw, you're mostly aware that I made all that stuff up, yes? There are no Inuit legends of such creatures, but I sure had fun writing like there were!

Back to Top profile | search

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Thing meeting his earlier self in Marvel Two In One #50. Great story but that page where they first meet each other blew me away when I first saw it. I loved how the "lumpy" Thing was colored, a different shade of orange and the brown trunks. It looked cool.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

MTIO #50 is such a great comic. So much fun.

Back to Top profile | search | email

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Up to that point during the 70's, many of the FF origin flashback scenes had the Thing looking like a teddy bear.

The only time that I remember someone other than JB drawing him with the dinosaur hide was Sal Buscema in FF190.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

On the topic of the Great Beasts, btw, you're mostly aware that I made all that stuff up, yes? There are no Inuit legends of such creatures, but I sure had fun writing like there were!
-----------------------------------------
At the time I originally read the Alpha Flight stories, I thought maybe you were using extant legends and myths. I learnt with interest from you on this forum (a few years back now) that you just made it all up -- you did a great job with it! Alpha Flight had its own vibe and identity and a large part of that was the magical stratum involving Snowbird's mission, Shaman and the Great Beasts. Pretty nifty how you wove Sasquatch into it as well -- poor Walter!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

X-Men #132: The pages where Cyclops follows Jean and Wyndgarde up the stairs in the Hellfire Club to be confronted at the top of the stairs by Mastermind and the Black Queen. It's such a well-paced snap of a mousetrap that had been winding for months.

Fantastic Four #250: The opening where Spider-Man comes across Reed strewn over New York, and Reed relates the story of Gladiator's attack. I read and re-read that issue for years before discovering it was the second part of a story. The recap is so well-integrated it never occurred to me.

Generations 3: I don't have the comics with me, so I can't look up the issue number, but it's a one or two page sequence of the Supergirls flying through space. It's a moment of pure joy. 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Fantastic Four #250: The opening where Spider-Man comes across Reed strewn over New York, and Reed relates the story of Gladiator's attack. I read and re-read that issue for years before discovering it was the second part of a story. The recap is so well-integrated it never occurred to me.

••

I had a similar reaction when I read the second issue of THE NEW GODS by Kirby. I'd missed the first. The issue worked so well as an introduction, I could not imagine what went in front of it!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I dug through the gallery and found the original Storm hair pin scene:

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The death of the X-Men in Days of Future Past. Even if it was in a distant (alternative?) future, it had quite the impact on me.

The whole Death of Guardian sequence, which is a masterpiece of comics narrative!

Dr. Doom's revelation in Terror in a Tiny Town.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I dug through the gallery and found the original Storm hair pin scene:

••

That's Chris' note at the right, referring to himself in the third person.

The point of the scene as written was that Storm was agonized by Nanny coming in and restoring the "hair pin" (actually a lock pick), sat for a moment to compose herself, then resolutely set about shaking the thing loose again.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Another favorite sequence was Annihilus answering a telephone and taking a message for the Human Torch from Juliette D'Angelo. Hilarious!! 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I just thought of the scene where Jean confronts Jason and drives him mad. Really powerful stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Here's an issue that was clever... Fantastic Four #265.. illustrated by JB from the Trapster's perspective, through his eyes, and partly narrated by the Baxter Building itself; viewed through its built-in cameras. Of course, the villain thwarted by the building’s automated defenses... but it was a treat to see "the house that Reed built" from this perspective -

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Couple of more pages from FF #265 -

-C!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

A story for which I actually received a fan letter from STAN LEE!

He called my tale "a little gem." Imagine hopping in my time machine to show that to my 13 year old self!!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Very cool, JB.... praise from Stan and well-deserved. Aside from the Tapster's perspective, I also enjoyed the way you showed all the interior shots you could think of 'touring' the Baxter Building!

-C!

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Shooter's edicts are odd.  His changes actually make the Storm lock-pick sequence less clear.  I seem to recall CC having to put a thought balloon into the middle of the fight with Magneto just to explain how the X-Men got free.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"The House That Reed Built," the sideways issue of FANTASTIC FOUR,  the "Snowblind" issue of ALPHA FLIGHT, and such are grateful examples of how creative and even experimental JB is, and I don't think he receives enough credit in the area of his experimentation. One of the many reasons JB is my favorite all-time artist.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I had to think about this for a while, and try and detach myself from what would be my favourite pieces of art, as opposed to a complete scene.
My choices will probably seem a little bizarre, but in their own differing ways they each blew me away.
The first would be What The? Issue #2

I laughed long and hard at Dr Bloom trying to convince Rex Ruthless that Superbman was really Park Bench. Just the ever increasing exasperated levels of proof that Bloom was bringing up including wheeling in the Smallville parants who happily went along with it. Sheer Genius!

The next would be another Marvel DC crossover, Batman/Captain America.

As a kid I had always thrilled at the thought of those two clashing, as they always seemed like the best of the best from their respective worlds. And this lived up to my expectations. I had so much glee at the thought they would be trying so many different fighting styles on each other that ultimately they would end up recognising who each other was, because quite simply nobody else could do it better!

And finally, this moment from Fantastic Four Issue #288.

Obviously Secret Wars I & II were very flawed stories, and all the editorial interference that had writers scrambling to make the continuity work must have been a nightmare at the time. However I just love Reed standing up to the Beyonder, the all powerful being, and essentially saying, "No, wait a minute. There's something that even you can't have your way with!" It feels like a real James T Kirk moment from Classic Star Trek of the mortal man challenging the god like being, and triumphing through their smarts and passion for a good argument. And Reed's voice feels so on point, as befits the smartest Superhero around. Made me want to punch the air in delight!

I could have quite easily chosen a lot more, for very differing reasons, but those three were unforgettable for me.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Looking thru all these scenes and having just finished your run on NAMOR a couple weeks back has opened up a boatload of great memories. 

JB, please allow me to say THANK YOU for so many years of immeasurable entertainment and joy.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |