Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who
Topic: Doctor Who top 10 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well it seems to be a season of top 10's. I see no reason not to include Doctor Who. 
So pretty much the same rules apply from the other top 10 lists. Only 10 episodes. No honorable mentions.

The only adjustment i'll make is in reference to the classic episodes. Since they were formatted differently than how they are now. It's okay to pick stories instead of individual episodes. For example It's okay to count all the episodes of Tomb of the Cyberman as one episode. 

If you'd like you can include your top 10 Doctor Who moments as well.

I shall post my picks shortly.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been giving this some thought and I realized that there simply aren't many stories in Doctor Who that I find particularly compelling. The reason to watch is usually the performer in the main role and to enjoy watching him bounce off the particulars of a given situation with all that cocksure, cockeyed genius and energy, riddled through with Hawkeye Pierce-like disrespect for authority and an unwavering dedication to the safety and protection of his traveling companions. Sometimes the set-up is more intriguing, sometimes less, but the resolution, especially recently, almost always involves magic macguffins re-magicking the wobbles out of the wibbliness and making the timeys a little less wimey. 

I like scenes and characters. I like certain companions a good deal more than I like others. But I'm having trouble placing my finger on a number of really well-told actual stories from the character's history.

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since I am incredibly old, my "moments" stretch back to the beginning. I'll name two:

• AN UNEARTHLY CHILD -- I have to count the entire first episode as a whole, as I sat there thunderstruck, at 14, as it unfolded before me. (Go look at the recent toys thread. The TV in the background of the picture of my Dad and me was where this introduction took place.)

• The first "appearance" of the Daleks. Was that THE DEAD PLANET? Just meaningless "arms" sticking into the frame while Barbara screamed, but the next week was one of the longest of my life.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My introduction to DOCTOR WHO came in early 1982, at age 8. I started watching it based on some interesting ads in the local (Bay Area) TV GUIDE listings. The PBS station at that point would run ads showing either a photo of a grinning Tom Baker, or of the 'monster'. 
I decided to watch it one night, and it happened to be the concluding episode of 'The Sontaran Experiment'. So, really, beyond the mesmerizing opening title sequence and 'weird' music and 'haunting' Tom Baker face, my first memory was...the Sontaran(Styre, played by Kevin Lindsey) taking his helmet off. 
Even though I'd missed part one,I was hooked...and at the end,  the scene where his head 'deflated' like a burst basketball was even better!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are a few more "moments" that have come floating back into my mind.

• Discovering DOCTOR WHO was on a local college station when I was living in London, Ontario. It was THE DAY OF THE DALEKS, and it caught me up quite nicely, explaining how Jon Pertwee could be the Doctor.

• THE BRAIN OF MORBIUS sequence that showed earlier incarnations of the Doctor. I know this is a fiercely disputed scene among WHOers, but my reaction was "Of course!"

• A memorable "moment" for all the wrong reasons, and often repeated, was when the started showing us what the Daleks looked like inside their metal casings. No connection at all to the glimpse that scared the willies out of me when I was 14.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The cliffhanger scenes really stand out in my mind, especially from Tom Baker's era.

Davros torturing the Doctor, probing his mind to learn how he will defeat the Daleks in the future('Genesis of the Daleks')

Sarah being attacked by a Cybermat('Revenge of the Cybermen')

"Kneel before the might of Sutekh!" ('Pyramids of Mars')

The "Face suddenly falls off" 'reveal' of the Sarah robot ('The Android Invasion')
'The Hand of Fear' wriggling to life
The Master throttling the Doctor, with a 'freeze frame' of his head underwater('The Deadly Assassin')

The Doctor being overwhelmed by the computer programmed with his own personality('The Face of Evil')

The Doctor offering a Jelly Baby to the possessed skull, moments before touching it nearly dying ('Image of the Fendahl')

The 'reveal' of Scaroth, and, from the same story, Scaroth aging his lab assistant to death ('City of Death')

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My introduction to Doctor Who was quite by chance. I was turning away at the UHF knob Tom Baker came on screen and I was hooked. Of course when I tuned in the following week it was Jon Pertwee. I had no idea what was going on. I tried several weeks in a row But no Tom Baker. I made the assumption that he left the show and that Pertwee replaced him. I didn't know about regenerations and had no one to talk about it. So that as it for me until Paul Mcgann played the 8th Doctor. 

Once the current series began. I made it a point to try and watch classic episodes whenever I could. 

These are the top 8 episodes that I can recall at the moment.

The Unearthly Child
The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Genisis of The Daleks
Tooth and Claw
School Reunion
Christmas Invasion
Tomb of the Cybermen
The Brain of Morbius

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My Top 10 Doctor Who Stories...

1 - The Ark in Space
2 - The Seeds of Doom
3 - Genesis of the Daleks
4 - Pyramids of Mars
5 - Spearhead from Space
6 - Tomb of the Cybermen
7 - Dalek Invasion of Earth
8 - The Talons of Weing Chiang
9 - Caves of Androzani
10 - The Robots of Death

...and Top Ten moments...

1 - The fourth Doctor's speech about humanity in 'The Ark in Space'
2 - Ian and Barbara enter the TARDIS for the first time in 'An Unearthly Child'
3 - The end of ep1 of 'An Unearthly Child' when it shows the TARDIS has moved is now standing on a barren, treeless landscape and suddenly a long shadow is cast by an unseen figure
4 - The end of ep 3 of 'The Daleks' when the Doctor and Ian open a Dalek and remove the creature inside wrapped in a cloak and throw it on the floor - as they escape a claw emerges from beneath the cloak - cue closing music!
5 - The end of ep4 of 'The Tenth Planet' and the very first regeneration
6 - The second Doctor's speech to Victoria about his family in 'The Tomb of the Cybermen'
7 - In 'The Invasion' the cybermen are seen taking over London - the shot of them marching down the steps near St Paul’s Cathedral is most memorable
8 - The Sea Devils rising out of the sea
9 - The fourth Doctor's debating on whether he has the right to destroy the Daleks and wipe out a species in 'Genesis of the Daleks'
10 - The shop dummies breaking out of the windows of a shopping centre, the fingers of their hands flipping open to reveal weapons and then attacking pedestrians and shoppers as the Auton invasion begins in 'Spearhead From Space'

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Can`t think of a top ten but some moments that scared
the crap out of me...Pertwee`s Auton story,those shop
dummies made me terrified to go to Wolverhampton as a
kid,i expected them to break through Marks and Spencer`s
window!
The Sea Devils rising from the sea(my uncle had rags in
his garage similar to the material of their
clothing,which made them more real in my head!)

The maggots in The Green Death.

The Spiders of Metebelis 3.
Back to Top profile | search | email

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |