Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I enjoyed the newest episode as well. It seems some of the other writers are finally starting to get what works in the MacFarlane stories on The Orville. Maybe by next season you won't even be able to tell a difference in the MacFarlane episodes and other writers', save for a few clunker episodes here and there, which is the case with pretty much any show including TOS.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Something interesting in that video chat I linked to--MacFarlane says that the scripts for the first season were all done before any episodes were filmed. Of course, it usually takes writers actually seeing the actors performing the roles onscreen before they really start producing their best work.

I have a feeling that the second season will be more polished, writing-wise, since they'll have a foundation to build on.

Remember, the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trinity only came into being once the writers saw the chemistry between the actors, after the first few episodes were in the can.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

2 episodes left. I recall reading that Seth wrote 7 episodes this season, so at least one of the next 2 will be written by him. I'd lay odds on that being the finale, given that's usually how showrunner/creator-written episodes usually get doled out.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I read that the last episode produced for this season is now being held over to air during the second season. Huh.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hope we get a full second season. Fox has had issues in recent years when the 'hot new show' has an extended hiatus, and doesn't quite get its mojo back the net season (SLEEPY HOLLOW, for one...not to mention GOTHAM).

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Orville has become the only show that I actually watch on a week-to-week basis.  I don't watch it "live," but I usually watch it a day or two after it airs.

Definitely one of my favorite new shows.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Good one! The "2D" effects were a bit TRON for my tasres, but the rest was just fine.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I could tell this was a MacFarlane episode during the opening teaser. There's just something about the ease of his writing style, and his more character-based humor.

Enjoyed the heck out of this one. The Ed/Kelly dynamic was really well-handled. This was way deeper and more interesting than the farcical sexcapades in "Cupid's Dagger", and their subplot really helped to ground them as people, rather than surface-level comedic characters.

Nice to see Lamarr come into his own. I see what MacFarlane was going for. This is totally a riff on Geordi La Forge being transferred from Conn/Bridge duty to Engineering. Early on, when Chief Engineer Newton was introduced, I found myself wondering why the show didn't have a main character serving as Chief Engineer. Well, now we know. It was clearly the plan all along to reveal Lamarr as an underachieving genius, and then move him to Engineering. He seemed a little redundant in early episodes, since Malloy already filled the "snarky helmsman" role, and Lamarr just being Malloy's buddy seemed to serve the character not quite as well as he deserved. 

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm wondering if Lamarr's move to engineering will lead to a rotating 'second helmsman' spot next to Malloy.  Would be a good way to intorduce new characters or feature guest stars.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

...intorduce...

One of my favorite typos. And appropriate here. I automatically read it as some kind of sci-fi term.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

LaMarr's revelation can be used to explain away my one little nit about the Social Media episode - his public statue humping. I felt like someone of his position should have known better than to act like that in front of an unknown culture. But looks like he may have just been taking playing in character too far.

It would have been nice to see Yaphit learn about LaMarr coming to his defense so they could have buried the hatchet. Those Gels get no respect.

I feel like J. Lee's acting abilities are a bit...off. His reaction to Isaac offering to assure Mercer and Grayson that he's not intelligent was a blank stare. But perhaps that's more the director's responsibility to catch that and request a different take. Anyway, here's hoping that he'll be able to strengthen that next season.

I was assuming that letting the cat out of the bag about Grayson's recommendation would have lead to a major fallout with Mercer, but I was glad to see that it wasn't the case. It was handled much better than I was expecting. There was a lot of heart in this episode (as well as Alara's previous episode, now that I think about it).

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. Several episodes this season revolved around the theme of self-doubt, which works for a neophyte crew but maybe not so much as time goes on.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Would be a good way to intorduce new characters or feature guest stars."

I'd like to see Patrick Warbuton make an appearance, maybe as a rival ship commander or something. He works on FAMILY GUY regularly so it should be pretty easy to get him. He has a knack for comedy but I get the feeling he could handle the serious moments well, also.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I liked the "callout" to 'Doctor Who'...but it would have been nice to hear the correct term!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Solid episode and all the different story elements that comprised it were nicely interwoven into a cohesive whole. I also like that Norm Macdonald is being given more and more to do. Yaphit's character seemed like little more than light relief in the first episode or two, but he's got quite a bit of potential.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

We did some On Demand binge watching out of curiosity...I am more than
impressed with this show on multiple levels.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The reveal about LaMarr and subsequent promotion are interesting, but I hope he doesn't take his position/job so seriously now that he quits joking around and goofing with Gordon entirely. Their friendship is one of the things about the show I enjoy. Then again, it hasn't stopped Captain Mercer from making bad jokes that no one (in the crew) laughs at.  Obviously, the practical jokes are going to be dialed way back after their reprimand in this episode. 

I think McFarlane has shown a knack for creating well rounded likable characters as I've grown to really love most of the characters on this show in a very short amount of time. It took me much longer with all of the Star Trek sequels like TNG, Voyager, and DS9  to really connect with most of their respective crews.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 05 December 2017 at 12:47am

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I liked the "callout" to 'Doctor Who'...but it would have been nice to hear the correct term!

sigh

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

You have no objection to 'Doctor Who's phone booth'? With all the other pop culture references in the series, I doubt the audience would be perplexed by the word 'TARDIS'.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 05 December 2017 at 12:52pm

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

You have no objection to 'Doctor Who's phone booth'? With all the other pop culture references in the series, I doubt the audience would be perplexed by the word 'TARDIS'.

I have no objection to "phone booth" in this context. Why should I? Why SHOULD you?

Unlax.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I didn't really object, it just sounded a little more 'civilian' than the kind of references Macfarlane's been doing  so far.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

A satisfying season finale, if perhaps a touch too reminiscent of the giant starship episode.

Now the long wait begins.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

As has been noted, one episode was held over for next season, so this one presumably wasn't originally intended to be the season finale.

Too bad it's gonna be a friggin' year until the second season!

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Loved this series! I'll be back for season

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

As has been noted, one episode was held over for next season, so this one presumably wasn't originally intended to be the season finale.

Yes, knowing this I half expected last night's episode to end on a cliffhanger. One half of a two part season closer.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Pretty solid first season. It overcame any preconceived drawbacks I may have given it, as I was not much of a Seth (the actor) fan.

I'll be rewatching the first season on demand.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |