Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: They were at their best. Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I enjoyed reading some of the responses in Greg's Trek Top Ten. While reading what some of you wrote about the top ten moments. It made me wonder what you thought were each cast member's single greatest moment.  

So with that in mind I'm starting this thread to learn what you all think. Here are the rules. Pick only main cast members from any of the series. These moments can have come from the series or the films. That is entirely up to you. You may included as many of the cast members or as few as you like. But remember only one moment per character. 

I shall give some thought to my characters and post my response when I can give my complete list.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: May 16 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shatner had a lot of good moments, but for my money his finest was wrapped up in one line, "Let's get the hell out of here." ("The City on the Edge of Forever")

Working on NEW VISIONS has made me extra aware of how much Nimoy got out of the smallest change of expression. By keeping his face mostly immobile, he could cock an eyebrow and steal the scene. And for the best example of that, I'll take the final moments of THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK. Left me weeping like a girlie-man!

Kelley also got a lot out of a raised eyebrow, but choosing from many favorite moments I'll take giving the old lady a new kidney in THE VOYAGE HOME. I'm tearing up just thinking about it!

Doohan had one moment, again among many, when he was in charge on the Bridge, and identified himself to an enemy as "the commander of the U. S. S. ENTERPRISE," standing beside the empty captain's chair with that ramrod straight posture he did so well. That was also my father's favorite "Scotty moment". Annoyingly, I cannot right now recal which episode it was in!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Kirk tapping the console to get the Helmsman's attention back in his work in BALANCE OF TERROR. So subtle.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My favourite Kirk moment:

"I don't believe in the no win scenario..." and then flips open his communicator to find Spock and the Enterprise right on schedule.

"I don't like to lose."

Edited by Peter Martin on May 16 2017 at 1:21pm

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Doohan had one moment, again among many, when he was in charge on the Bridge, and identified himself to an enemy as "the commander of the U. S. S. ENTERPRISE," standing beside the empty captain's chair with that ramrod straight posture he did so well. That was also my father's favorite "Scotty moment". Annoyingly, I cannot right now recal which episode it was in! "
Was that from The Enterprise Incident when Scotty responds to the Romulan's demand for surrender, while Kirk and Spock are in her office?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Was that from The Enterprise Incident when Scotty responds to the Romulan's demand for surrender, while Kirk and Spock are in her office?
+++++

It's from "A Taste of Armageddon", when Scott had been ordered to implement General Order 24 on Eminiar VII.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: May 16 2017 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There it is!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 16 2017 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thinking back on the first season, Scotty really was a rather serious and devoted officer with a dry sense of humor, wasn't he? He was given more humorous dialogue and moments in the second and third seasons, and then, in the movies, veered from very serious to jolly eccentric who talked to a computer mouse and knocked himself out about his own ship.

I think it's unfortunate that the general public's takeaway from James Doohan's surprisingly subtle acting is the accent and the wacky humor. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 17 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well some of these moments seem to come from my Top Ten list. I guess that what put them there.

For Kirk; when he's trying to convince mirror universe Spock that the Empire is illogical. Just before beaming out.

Scotty; When he will just absolutely not lower the defense shields for that "mealy-mouthed" Ambassador. Stone faced. A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON.

So many for Spock. But for a guy with no emotions his dry humor was great. There was that one "drop the mic" moment at the end of an episode where Kirk or McCoy told him something like "Why Spock, that was almost human". And Spock replied ,paraphrasing " There's no need for insults Captain (Dr.)", and walks away. Classic!

For McCoy; His reaction after seeing Nancy's true self in THE MAN TRAP.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 17 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mr.Spock; Journey to Babel, When Spock's mother is trying to convince him to have the surgery that can save his father's life. Leonard Nimoy played that scene so well. You could see the internal conflict that Spock was going thru. 

Captain Kirk; City on the Edge of Forever, From the moment Edith mention McCoy to him until "Let's get the hell out of here." A tour de force performance by Shatner. Regardless of how many times I've seen it. I still get choked up at that scene.

Dr.McCoy; Balance of Terror,  In The Captain's quarters when the Doctor comes in and put's his hand on Kirk's shoulder and says "In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk. "

Mr. Scott; Trouble with Tribbles, After the fight in the bar when he has to explain to the Captain how the fight started. I get a kick out of the scene. Unlike the bumping into bulk head talking into computer mouse humor from the movies. Which I absolutely hated. The humor in this scene isn't at the expense of Mr. Scott's character. The humor is a result of his character traits. 

I will complete my list later. I want to research first the episodes. I want to get my details in order.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 18 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My 'Spock moments' are among those in which he showed human emotion...and they have nothing to do with 'The Way to Eden'!

The evident sadness in his voice as he delivers the lines, "He knows, Doctor...he knows." near the end of 'City on the Edge of Forever." Very subtle, in that it isn't written in the 'Hey, look, Spock has emotions!' style...contrasted with...

The 'deadpan' delivery of his 'Spocko' dialogue in 'A Piece of the Action'.
"I would advise yez to keep dialin', Oxnyx."

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 18 2017 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian which in your opinion is his best moment?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 18 2017 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Have to go with 'City'.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 18 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It's hard to argue with "Let's get the hell out of here."

For Spock, I like the scene at the end of "This Side of Paradise." Spock has come back to his senses and his captain. Leila borrows McCoy's communicator and asks to come up to see him on the ship. Kirk actually points out to Spock that if he talks with Leila while she's still under the influence of the spores... he leaves the rest unsaid, but we know that seeing Spock restored to his original self is going to hurt her. Terribly. She will be upset, and therefore likely to lose that sense of profound happiness she's enjoyed so far. Spock knows all of that and goes to meet her anyway. And yes, she is freed however painfully, leaving her to wonder which way is best. 

Spock assures her, as much for her sake as for his own, that whatever discomfort he lives with as a consequence of the choices he has made is no worse than that suffered by anyone else. And it's all done with such knowing tenderness and intelligence. Everyone has to make choices of this nature. And he doesn't need the spores to allow him to deal with it. And by extension, neither does she.

I love the whole doomed romance of that episode. Leila Kalomi is the Sally Sellwyn of the Star Trek Universe. :-)

I love the character of McCoy so much, I'm sure I'm going to regret picking one moment now because five more will come to mind later. My first thought is the moment in "Miri" when there simply isn't time to test the serum further and only way to be sure... And who does he cry out to for help when the pain becomes unbearable? His friend, Spock. 

For Scotty, I'll go with the lesson he recites when he decides not to pursue the second distress call in "Friday's Child." "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." 

Uhura: I love her whole playfully mocking tone in "Charlie X" when she's having fun at everyone else's expense, in a nonetheless very loving way.
Her best line, however, is still "Sorry. Neither." from "The Naked Time."

Edited by Brian Hague on May 18 2017 at 4:46pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: May 18 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Uhura; Mirror Mirror- Her scene on the bridge where she has to distract Sulu. There are several reason I've picked this scene. First and foremost she's frightened but still manages to do her duty. She is in total command of that scene. From the moment she walks over to Sulu to when she finally enter's the turbolift. The way she spun around had such sass to it.  Not to mention she looked fabulous in the Mirror uniform. 

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Anthony J Lombardi wrote:
I enjoyed reading some of the responses in Greg's Trek Top Ten.

I'm curious where I can find that.

Edited by Luke Styer on June 29 2017 at 11:21am

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Anthony J Lombardi wrote:
I enjoyed reading some of the responses in Greg's Trek Top Ten.

I'm curious where I can find that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here you go Luke.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51855 &PN=1&totPosts=23

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 29 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Thanks! I don't know how I managed to overlook that like three times scanning the topic titles.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: July 07 2017 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

For Kirk, in Wrath of Khan. Kirk trolls Khan, forcing him to think irrationally and making Khan fight him in the Mutari Nebula. 

" Khan, I'm laughing at your superior intellect."

For Spock: "I have been and always shall be....your friend". No explanation needed.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on July 07 2017 at 9:52pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: July 08 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

…Kirk trolls Khan…

••

When did "trolls" become a general description of being on the other side of any question?

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: July 08 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Pfft -- when I was a kid (and to some extent even now), during "The Deadly Years" after the Commodore has ordered the Enterprise into the Neutral Zone and all seems lost - young Kirk strides onto the bridge and reassumes command. Baller.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |