The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Kakistocracy Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 1  

[kak-uh-stok-ruh-see]

noun, plural kakistocracies.

1. government by the worst persons; a form of government in which the worst persons are in power.

Learned a new word today. Well, new to me. Coined in the 1800s.

Time to bring it back!

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2  

Great... a word that works so well in today's political climate.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 3  

Although I'm well aware that "kakos" in Greek means "bad," it also is the basis of the ultimately global word "caca."

So, I can easily think contemporaneously of "government by the shittiest persons."

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 4  

It's like those Greeks had a word for EVERYTHING!

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Kakisto "κάκιστο" means extra "very bad", also is used often to describe "the worst of all options". Kakistos is the term to describe such a person
Back to Top profile | search | www

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 6  

it is not like....John indeed we have a word for everything!Although it seems complicated for the others to learn Greek(it all seems greek to me!) it is one of the most complete language humanity has ever invented.And it is not me as Greek who says it but the international scientific community.And to be exact to the point the Ancient Greek!Many of them claim that the complexity and perfection seems to reach into levels that they still cant figure out how such a thing came out so many years ago!
to give you the ....invasion of this language into english i post two examples of a greek proffessor that has written in english but....it is full of greek words!-----------

" Kyrie,

I eulogize the archons of the Panethnic Numismatic Thesaurus and the Ecumenical Trapeza for the orthodoxy of their axioms, methods and policies, although there is an episode of cacophony of the Trapeza with Hellas.

With enthusiasm we dialogue and synagonize at the synods of our didymous Organizations in which polymorphous economic ideas and dogmas are analyzed and synthesized.

Our critical problems such as the numismatic plethora generate some agony and melancholy. This phenomenon is characteristic of our epoch. But, to my thesis, we have the dynamism to program therapeutic practices as a prophylaxis from chaos and catastrophe.

In parallel, a panethnic unhypocritical economic synergy and harmonization in a democratic climate is basic.

I apologize for my eccentric monologue. I emphasize my eucharistia to you Kyrie, to the eugenic and generous American Ethnos and to the organizers and protagonists of this Amphictyony and the gastronomic symposia.''

Prof. Xenofon Zolotas

Second speech - October 2, 1959

" Kyrie,

It is Zeus' anathema on our epoch for the dynamism of our economies and the heresy of our economic methods and policies that we should agonise between the Scylla of numismatic plethora and the Charybdis of economic anaemia.

It is not my idiosyncrasy to be ironic or sarcastic but my diagnosis would be that politicians are rather cryptoplethorists. Although they emphatically stigmatize numismatic plethora, energize it through their tactics and practices.

Our policies have to be based more on economic and less on political criteria.

Our gnomon has to be a metron between political, strategic and philanthropic scopes. Political magic has always been antieconomic.

In an epoch characterised by monopolies, oligopolies, menopsonies, monopolistic antagonism and polymorphous inelasticities, our policies have to be more orthological. But this should not be metamorphosed into plethorophobia which is endemic among academic economists.

Numismatic symmetry should not antagonize economic acme.

A greater harmonization between the practices of the economic and numismatic archons is basic.

Parallel to this, we have to synchronize and harmonize more and more our economic and numismatic policies panethnically.

These scopes are more practical now, when the prognostics of the political and economic barometer are halcyonic.

The history of our didymous organisations in this sphere has been didactic and their gnostic practices will always be a tonic to the polyonymous and idiomorphous ethnical economics. The genesis of the programmed organisations will dynamize these policies. I sympathise, therefore, with the aposties and the hierarchy of our organisations in their zeal to programme orthodox economic and numismatic policies, although I have some logomachy with them.

I apologize for having tyrannized you with my hellenic phraseology.

In my epilogue, I emphasize my eulogy to the philoxenous autochthons of this cosmopolitan metropolis and my encomium to you, Kyrie, and the stenographers."

Prof. Xenofon Zolotas

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 7  

And on that, we may note that modern Greeks say: μου μιλάς Κινέζικα, "you're speaking Chinese to me!"

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 8  

I think it could be changed to modern days as Brazilian government.

Not sure if the news of our failings political landscape are reaching the north of the Equator, but the current amounts being uncovered are probably the highest in human history so far.

Absolutely disgusting...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 9  

In my teens I thought it was terribly funny to say I spoke every language except Greek. Then when someone asked me to say something in, say, Chinese, I'd say "That's Greek to me!"

I'm here all week.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 10  

For a brief second reading "Kakistocracy" made me think of the current trend to 'dress down' for work, particularly among young politicians. LOL

Brings the "suits vs. dungarees" argument from WKRP back to the forefront!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was just reading BLOOD & TRNCHES last night. Is this where
Kakistos came from?

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Chinese, I'd say "That's Greek to me!"----

Chinese are also very difficult to learn cause their alphabet ( ....that greek agaiiiiin,,,,) is based in ideograms ( grrrrrr...........that @@@@###$$$ greek again!!!) and not letters!Also they have two languages traditional and simplified!
go figure!!!----not to mention the number of their ideograms!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post Reply | Post New Topic |