Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The Disaster Artist Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was a fan the moment I watched it, no guilt involved. I like oddball stuff, and novelties,  though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Good" bad films are appreciated by the fans of such films because they derive entertainment from the film in spite of its shortcomings.  While such films do not garner fan appreciation in the manner for which the filmmakers originally intended, many of the people who worked on such films (which invariably are elevated to a status of a cult classic) realize at some point that it is good that they have reached an audience at all.

Frankly, truly bad films, the kind that are either so boring, or so hard to watch for whatever reason, do not get discussed and celebrated, but rather are forgotten.  I think those filmmakers would wish their film had connected with an audience in some way, even if the appreciation is ironic.

Fans of "good" bad films are genuine, and truly enjoy such films in a way every bit as much as true classics that the general viewership concurs are great films. Like with anything,  not everybody's tastes align with each other, so there are those who view fans of "good" bad films as being derisive of the films. But that is wrong. If the fans of such films truly hated those films, they would be dismissed and eventually forgotten. 

Ed Wood, Tommy Wiseau, and more recently,  Neil Breen, are people who apparently set out to make great films with a meaning,  but feel short in the eyes of the masses, yet they succeeded on touching a nerve with a specific segment of movie watchers. Again, they did not succeed in their intent with their films, but in the end they still were successful in another way in that they still brought joy and entertainment to an audience. And dare I say, their audiences actually are more devoted and truly care about their films than most people do of the average Hollywood film.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Frankly, truly bad films, the kind that are either so boring, or so hard to watch for whatever reason, do not get discussed and celebrated, but rather are forgotten.  I think those filmmakers would wish their film had connected with an audience in some way, even if the appreciation is ironic.
+++++++

Well said, Matt.

With most bad movies, you can watch the first ten minutes, have an idea of what it is, and be done with it. THE ROOM finds new and more bizarre ways to suck in literally every scene. It's never boring (because you're always busy trying to figure out the point of a scene/moment, or busy being transfixed by bizarre line-readings of insane dialogue), and is strangely compelling and beguiling.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This really leans hard into the "bread and circuses" aspects of our society.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had not heard of "bread and circuses" before today and now that I have looked it up I am surprised it has not been expressed regarding the current president. Thanks, JB.

I have never understood watching a bad movie because of the sheer magnitude of its awfulness. I do enjoy MST2K from time to time, but I never ran out to watch Plan 9 or any of the movies widely acknowledged as so bad they are good. I almost watched Best Worst Movie once, but passed. I don't think The Disaster Artist is going to get my time or money.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric, my point is that fans of "good" bad films do NOT watch those films because of the "sheer magnitude of its awfulness", but rather because despite the ineptitude of the filmmakers, there still exists something entertaining with the work.

Anyway, clearly not everyone will derive that entertainment from such films, hence that they are regarded as "cult" films. They never were going to be, and still never will be mainstream entertainment. But what the "good" bad films have done is something that the truly awful bad films never could do, and that is they found an appreciative audience.

Yet another example of "different strokes for different folks."

Edited by Matt Hawes on 13 September 2017 at 10:31am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Gotcha, Matt. We clearly see eye to eye on lots of stuff, but this is definitely a different strokes kinda thing. I'm reminded of a question a friend used to ask about this subject, "Would you rather see a bad story acted well or a good story poorly acted"? Both categories have their problems, but I suspect fans of cult classics find the entertainment with either type of movie and enjoy them even more when low budgets, bad photography, etc. get mixed in.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 14 September 2017 at 12:06pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

New trailer:

LINK.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There's also a new promotional billboard--in exactly the same spot where THE ROOM's billboard stood for five years--, and a new phone number to call. I recommend calling.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's not just that THE ROOM was a bad movie.  I live in Hollywood--I saw that billboard and I watched the late night commercials proclaiming THE ROOM the best movie--"an experience"!--for what feels like years.  Wiseau not only made a bad movie, he promoted it incessantly and built up expectations even a great movie would have trouble living up to.  He made it a "thing"--and now it's becoming even more of a ":thing."

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Judge lifts injunction on documentary "Room Full of Spoons":

LINK.

This is the same documentary I posted about months ago, after the director contacted me to have me watch a screener and give a review of his documentary.

Here is a link to that thread (now locked): LINK.

Maybe "Room Full of Spoons" will get a release not soon after "The Disaster Artist" hits screens nationwide?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

https://a24films.com/notes/2017/10/introducing-the-tommy-awa rd/

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Review of THE DISASTER ARTIST by Screen Junkies:

LINK.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Review by YourMovieSucksDotOrg:

LINK.

Just another week until general release!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Interview with James and Dave Franco:

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9cB0TjfIkM

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

We're through the looking glass, here. Wiseau appeared with Franco on Jimmy Kimmel's, like a vampire stepping into daylight and being revealed to the world.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

LOL! 

The film will be shown in my city a week later than the national release date, but we are getting it here. Yayy!!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

In the clip from Jimmy Kimmel,  Tommy admits he is from Europe. Wow! I didn't think he'd ever reveal that on his own.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yeah, that was a shock!

Anyway, how is your sex life? 

*ahem*

Anyway, looks like several local theaters will be showing THE DISASTER ARTIST, next week. I'm super-excited. Critics are already calling it one of the year's best films. 

It also warms my heart that so many innocent people will soon be having an experience like this, thanks to the release of THE DISASTER ARTIST:

(My favorite reaction in the above video is during the second Johnny/Lisa sex scene. Also, I've often observed that the first sex scene is the moment where the true shock and horror of watching the film begins, because people become uncomfortable, and begin questioning whether or not THE ROOM is supposed to be some kind of late-night Skinemax movie.).

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

LOL, I watched that video just last night, Greg. It's fun to see how these guys react to the film for the first time.

Here's another reaction video I watched: LINK.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Sigh. I just learned that the theaters in my area will NOT be getting THE DISASTER ARTIST anytime soon.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

That's a real shame, Matt. 

Fortunately, it'll be playing near me starting on Friday. Hope it comes your way, soon!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

...oh, hai, canonical Marvel universe character!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

My buddy Kyle Vogt said it was very surreal seeing himself depicted in a movie.  I really wish I had the Yahoo messenger archives of our chats during the real-time filming of The Room.  He sent me a lot of "You won't believe what he did today!" messages. 

If you can find a theater showing it, I highly recommend The Disaster Artist.  Some of the actors found the movie somewhat cathartic and it's easy to see why. 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |