Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: DUNKIRK Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well said, Kevin!

Looks like I'm going tonight, treating my father to an early birthday present and buying his ticket.  Looking forward to it.

His father served as an airman in the U.S. Navy in World War II, so my dad (a baby boomer, born in '48) has been fascinated with WWII all of his life, and it's been passed down to me as well.  Will be interested to hear his opinions.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 July 2017 at 9:03am
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Visually impressive. See it in 70mm IMAX if possible.
Nolan just seems to need to push the boundaries of linear storytelling.
I went in blind, as is my normal procedure. My Father (whose Father,
was from England), lived thru the War, AND read the book. He found
the edits confusing, and I have to say I did as well. I will be reading the
book so as to satisfy my understanding of the whole drama.
Rylance was a standout for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Saw it tonight... a stunning technical achievement.  The verisimilitude is staggering, pretty much surpassing SAVING PRIVATE RYAN in terms of white-knuckle, "you are there" intensity (albeit without too much graphic violence, surprisingly).  We've been hammered with so much CGI over the past 20+ years, every image in this was like a breath of fresh air.  There must have been some use of green-screen or CGI augmentation somewhere, but there were only one or two brief instances where I think I spotted them.  About 99% of the film, visually, was utterly convincing.

A beautiful film to behold (the aerial dogfights were especially gorgeous), solid performances, wonderful production design, sparingly written--remains to be seen if that counts as "lean & mean," or perhaps too slight (and some of the editing of the 3 distinct timelines perhaps got a little too convoluted towards the end)... hard to tell right now, though I plan on seeing this again, hopefully in the IMAX format.  But even in standard 65mm, it was glorious, and it was one of the very few times where the very loud sound effects worked to the film's benefit.

Got teary-eyed a few times, and I and a few other people clapped at the end.  My father seemed to like it very much, as well.  Powerful stuff... easily one of the best WWII films since RYAN, and my vote for Christopher Nolan's best film yet.

If you have any interest in this one at all, I say definitely see it in the theaters.  Riveting, from beginning to end.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I checked on the VFX, and they used practical as much as possible, to the point of finding old WW2 destroyers, etc.

Also found this on Quora:

It's a plot point and potential spoiler, so:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
"Neil Andrea, the marine coordinator of Dunkirk is convinced that this was the biggest naval film shoot ever.[2] The crew even built a full size replica Spitfire, attached an IMAX camera to it and landed it on the water for real."

Not that it isn't possible to look completely real using CG, but it also allows camera angles that are impossible if you must photograph real planes, etc.  Reality takes away the need for discipline in that regard.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saw it tonight.  Gripping, powerful effort. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matt, to answer your request, my friend recommended
this:
Link 01

And here a short read:

Link

He asked me to write the following ( sorry for my
pseudo English translation ):
[...]The French resistance is also part of the myths
builders of our nation, just like the conquest of the
west for them Americans You need to take some
distance, and acknowledge the existence of a genocide
against the Indians on the part of the Americans, but
at the same time of very beautiful human adventures
and a formidable epic. History is not all black or
white ...[...]
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it last night.

White knuckle ride from start to finish.  See it in IMAX with the sound turned up to 11!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm of two minds with this movie.  Overall I think it's extremely well done and packs a ton of emotion in it.  Quite easily one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.  David is correct about it being "white knuckle from start to finish".  However, the immensity of the evacuation was barely touched upon, other than showing thousands of soldiers on the beach in the beginning.

The movie focused TOO much on too few people.  I understand the need to get as many perspectives of the evacuation as possible, but failing to show the sheer number of boats heading into danger was a huge misstep by Nolan.  There over 800 boats (pleasure craft, fishing boats, etc.) that willingly went to Dunkirk, knowing full well they couldn't protect themselves.  The movie focuses on only one and then you never see more than a few more boats (perhaps about 10-15) ferrying soldiers.  If there was just one overhead shot showing hundreds boats sailing into danger, I would have been fine with that.

Be that as it may, despite that large misstep, I think Nolan crafted an excellent and very intense film.  One I'd definitely watch again.

Edited by Kevin Brown on 30 July 2017 at 8:34pm

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My ten year old is really keen to see this so any insights on its suitability welcomed. Too bloody? Too sweary? Too boring (for a child)? Any sexual content?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My ten year old is really keen to see this so any insights on its suitability welcomed. Too bloody? Too sweary? Too boring (for a child)? Any sexual content?
No nudity, though there is a shot of a guy briefly squatting to defecate (we see nothing.)

I doubt it's too boring.  There are obviously deaths seen but we never linger on them and visible blood is at a minimum.  I don't recall a tremendous amount of cursing, though they do use "bloody" and a couple F-bombs.  

The main concern is the considerable intensity and nearly continuous stress of wartime situations where groups of men (some of whom you grow to care about) are shown in grave danger for lengthy stretches.   Obviously not everyone is going to come out of this alive but for me the tension and strong jeopardy was what I'd want to be sure my kid was up to taking. 

The PG-13 rating felt accurate.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Big thanks, Rick. Really appreciate this.

I'll let you know if I take him.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just saw this film tonight. So brilliant. Beautifully shot with an amazing score. And so intense. It seemed to fly by. Not a wasted moment or shot in the whole film. I'm kicking myself for not seeing it on a big screen. My favorite film of 2017.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I just saw this film tonight. So brilliant. Beautifully shot with an amazing score. And so intense. It seemed to fly by. Not a wasted moment or shot in the whole film. I'm kicking myself for not seeing it on a big screen. My favorite film of 2017.

Not a wasterd moment -- except, like TITANIC, to tell the stories of people who didn't really exist.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Not sure why that choice was made and I wasn't aware of it. I wasn't really speaking for the historical accuracy of the film but just my impression of the film itself. I thought Interstellar was kind of a snooze fest and a huge disappointment so I wasn't really expecting Nolan to do a great war movie as it didn't seem like his usual thing. I'd love to see a documentary on the folks who actually lived through the evacuation in Dunkirk if anyone can suggest a good one. One of the things I liked about the film was that it covered something you don't usually see in films, a mass evacuation of troops, though I guess there are few as significant as the one in Dunkirk was.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 25 December 2017 at 4:42pm

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2017 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I found it typical of Nolans work in that it was visually impressive, had an interesting plot but lacked emotion. The moment of all the small boats turning up to help was supposed to be the big emotional highlight of the film but it fell flat.Most of his films seem to fall into that pattern.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 December 2017 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

My biggest beef with TITANIC (among many) was that there were so many real stories to tell that choosing to tell a fictional one felt at odds with the tragedy.  But comparing that film to DUNKIRK is apples to oranges.  Cameron chose to tell the story that he did because, ultimately, it was a romance.  Soap opera sells and it did to the tune of over $2 billion at the box office and still remains champ to this day.  DUNKIRK, on the other hand, didn't go that route.  It took composites of real life people and placed them on fictitious characters to tell a story of the horrors of war.  Sacrifice. Bravery. Cowardice. Humanity.  Et al.  It was all on display in less than 2 hours. Far from lacking emotion, I thought it was incredibly emotionally evocative.  It gave me the sense of "being there", as close as one can come some 70+ years separated and having never lived through those events, as you could be. 

For me, TITANIC was a film that used a tragedy as backdrop to sell a fictional love story.  DUNKIRK is a film that set a strategic moment in history front and center by coalescing a myriad of experiences into a specific set of characters in order to understand it from various points of view.  Totally different. YMMV but I thought it was brilliant.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

As you say, YMMV, but for me, it was a simple matter of not connecting with any of the characters and finding the whole thing a bit flat. I'm no robot, I get emotional about a lot of stuff I watch but this film just didn't hit the mark for me.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2017 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I can't recall, do they ever even mention the names of the characters in Dunkirk? Other than the civilian lad who died from the accident during the rescue I don't remember them using names much, if at all. It did seem like they were kind of amalgamizing several soldiers experiences with the characters in the film and who they were wasn't as important as what they were experiencing. I do typically find Nolan's films fairly bereft of emotion, even though I've enjoyed most of them, but I felt this one really had it in spades and was his best film. I felt tons of anxiety while watching it and glee when things went right (only to go wrong not long after), repeat.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |