Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: What is a "Long Run"? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

36 issues, or three years, is a solid run. 50 issues or more is what I'd call a long run.

When I think of long runs by a single creative team the 120 issue Groo run under the Epic imprint comes to mind.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dave Sim worked on 300 issues of his comic book Cerebus.... which is a pretty damn long run. 

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, gotta give credit to Erik Larsen who just published his 225th issue of SAVAGE DRAGON--not to mention the first 3-issue mini-series 25 years ago!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When I think of long runs by a single creative team the 120 issue Groo run under the Epic imprint comes to mind.

I recently tracked down and bought that whole run (the last issues had low print runs and were kind of pricey and hard to find) and pretty much every other Groo series and mini-series. At this point Sergio and Mark Evanier are close to 200 issues counting the Pacific 8 issues, Eclipse special, Image 12 issues, and multiple (at least 6) 4 issue Dark Horse minis as well as a 12 issue mini and a 25th anniversary one shot. That's definitely a long run!

Edited by Shane Matlock on 27 July 2017 at 9:14pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I know that the comparison is not exact but it makes me sort of bewildered that the Movie Cinematic Universe seems to be more cohesive than the comics that spawned them.

That is a neigh on ten year run, with a good degree of the same creative team all working towards the same over-riding grand plot.

In those ten years, (I have no idea) can we say that the comics have done the same?

The last time I dipped my head into the Marvel comics Universe was to pick up some Alan Davis art and found the Hulk to have two heads. and a number of reboots and variants of titles.

I loved the fact that buying issue 200 of something presented me with a tangible link to the history/evolution of the comic. But no such feeling when I saw the umpteenth reboot of the FF and their origin on the stands a few years back.

So if that is the effect it has on a reader, I imagine the effect on a creative team must have been much greater...like knowing that twenty issue before Neal Adams had been on that title or that fifty issues before Joe Kubert etc.

Maybe this whole Artist/Writer rockstar thing is the culprit. Restarting the counter to provide them with a blank canvas.

But then the next hot-young-thing comes along and needs their own blank canvas and so on.

This current model seems to distance themselves from their own history. If you got assigned to issue 995 of the Hulk, well it would be like that scene in Friends where Joey, Ross and Monica have been passing a ball between them for hours and Chandler wants to join in, Monica warns, "He's a dropper!"

-D
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This current model seems to distance themselves from their own history. If you got assigned to issue 995 of the Hulk, well it would be like that scene in Friends where Joey, Ross and Monica have been passing a ball between them for hours and Chandler wants to join in, Monica warns, "He's a dropper!"

••

When the royalties came in at last, I predicted this would NOT lead to people working extra hard on the books to which they were assigned. I said it would lead to lots of short runs on the best selling books.

Call me Cassandra!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Darren Taylor wrote:
In those ten years, (I have no idea) can we say that the comics have done the same?

Not really a fair comparison. Being consistent in your first 10 years is a tad easier than in your 5th and 6th 10 years. Plus a publishing company putting out hundreds of periodicals a year vs. a movie studio doing 2-3 tops has a lot more to keep track of.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks Dave for highlighting my opener. I know it's not exact.

If you are looking for exactness, feel free to count the number of films...it is likely to be near fifteen or more by the time The Infinity Gauntlet comes out, maybe more. Compare that to the number of times in the same period there has been an unbroken 15 issue run with the same creative team in those ten years from the comics side.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more < than  the >15 bunch.

-D
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Kirkman and Adlard's continuing run on Walking Dead has been relentless; however, it's not all about number of issues for me: Michel Fiffe's 30 issue run (so far) on Copra has seen him write, pencil, ink, script, letter, color and personally distribute every single issue - that definitely deserves an honorary mention.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |