Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: Memory Playing Tricks On Me? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I picked up some issues of DC Comics' STAR TREK at the London Film and Comic Con today. I read some on the train home, including the letters pages.

There was mention of Chekov being a Chief Weapons Officer on the Enterprise. It got me thinking about how our memories can (possibly) play tricks on us.

I have TOS on DVD here, but really cannot be bothered to put discs on and check scenes. But I'll say this - I don't recall him being a Chief Weapons Officer in TOS. I think he had something to do with weapons in the theatrical films, but I don't remember any Chief Weapons Officer/security stuff from him in TOS.

Was he? Or is my memory playing tricks on me? I do like the character. Very much. I just don't recall any of the above. That could be my memory, I know. I will check, anyway (it'll be easy enough to), but I thought I'd raise the point about one's memories of a show.

EDIT: What doesn't help me are inconsistencies in early episodes. Wasn't Sulu both a personnel officer and a mathematician in early stories? 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 29 July 2017 at 6:11pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wasn't Sulu both a personnel officer and a mathematician in early stories?

And a botanist! Found his place at the helm eventually, tho!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ah, of course, botany. I'd forgotten about that one.

On a wider note, and I feel TNG lacked this, I like how TOS featured a huge crew of varied talents. There were NCOs (I presume) working in engineering, a botanist like you say, mathematician, etc. Seemed like a busy ship!

TNG on the other hand, well it seems like only several commissioned officers were running the whole thing! 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sadly, the Other Ranks slowly faded from TOS as the budget shrank.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's sad. I used to love the NCOs in overalls, assisting Scotty in engineering. It made it all so feel real.

Whereas TNG had La Forge working in engineering, but where were his staff? Where were the NCOs and others assisting him?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Chekov was promoted from an Ensign and Navigator to a Lieutenant and Security Chief/Weapons Officer for TMP. 

Sulu went from Astrophysicist (second pilot) to Helmsman (series). The botany thing ("The Man Trap") looks to have been a hobby more than an official posting, as Riley indicates in "The Naked Time".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yet the room in which Rand brings Sulu his lunch is clearly an office of some kind. Sulu spent at least some of his time as a "float" officer -- and his exchange with Riley really doesn't offer much either way. After all, wouldn't the "Botany Officer" try to get others interested?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's the line:

RILEY: Last week it was botany he was trying to get me interested in. I was supposed to be collecting leaves, plant specimens. 

This being said when Sulu is trying to get Riley into fencing. I doubt he was also the ship's Fencing Officer, too! Although that's probably how it would go in the Abramsverse, since they literally made his "combat training" come down to fencing, and gave him George Takei's sexual orientation. 

Anyway, the botany thing sounds more like a hobby, to me. And, when we did see him in the botany section, in "The Man Trap", he was clearly off-duty. He's also manning the helm, at the end of that episode, which I do believe would be only a matter of hours after he was hanging out in the botany section (and therefore during the same duty shift). I also get the impression that he was Chief Ateophysicist in the second pilot, but was later promoted/reassigned to Chief Helmsman, rather than one or the other being a "float" position. 

I don't imagine the department heads being "floaters", as opposed to enlisted crewmen and whatnot. We only saw Uhura take the helm once, in a pinch, and Chekov did so some cross-training with Spock as part of his first assignment. Of course, Chekov certainly wasn't a department head, at that point.

But, as with most things TOS, there's lots of room for interpretation!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This being said when Sulu is trying to get Riley into fencing. I doubt he was also the ship's Fencing Officer, too!

One can have hobbies and a job, all at the same time!

+++

I don't imagine the department heads being "floaters", as opposed to enlisted crewmen and whatnot.

No reason to assume Sulu is HEAD of the Botany Section.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This all makes me wonder just how many other jobs you can sneakily show Sulu doing in NEW VISIONS!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm reading Eagle Moss' "Star Trek: The Newspaper Strips Volume 1" - and in the strip "Dilithium Dilemma", they touch upon Sulu's interest in botany.

Sulu is part of a landing party due to his botanical knowledge - and in an interesting scene, McCoy happens to express an interest in botany, too.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sulu's just a likable character who deserves fleshing out. He's sort of the ideal Starfleet officer, to me: Observant, loyal, multitalented, charming. Very much the sort of level-headed guy you'd want to go into a bad situation with.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

In one of the early strips, and they are set shortly after ST: TMP, Sulu is wondering when he'll get his own command. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |