Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies
Topic: Deliberately Watching a Movie in Chunks? (Opposite of TV Bingeing?) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So, Until the End of the World (1991) came up on my DVR in a block of five hours. I thought I would have that chunk of time Saturday or Sunday evening, but, as it turns out, no. My free time weekday evenings would be especially curtailed this week, so I decided to dive deep into it Sunday, and decide where to go from there. I decided I could tell when significant breaks came, so have been watching it in half-hour to hour segment.

I remember watching Cleopatra (1963) in four hourish parts went well -- I had time left after their Intermission, and watched the sea battle that started the second part. (If only I had known at the time that was the last worthwhile thing to see in the movie!)

Next up will be Cloud Atlas (2012), which I got cheap in a remnant store; six stories, the box says, ought to be easy to find the breakpoints.So, anybody else do this... deliberately, I mean, not just falling asleep and searching for the last scene you remember the next day? Any strategies you've developed?

Edited by Jack Bohn on 10 August 2017 at 8:02am
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Lord of the Ring / Hobbit films are certainly approached in that way for me. Indeed, I'm currently watching the last of the Hobbit films over a series of TV lunches.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Too old, too many kids... I usually have to break-up viewings for almost any movie--usually 1 hour the first night, and the remainder for the next.

Hell, a 3+ hour movie can sometimes take me all week!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

GONE WITH THE WIND is a film that makes me feel like I need to have a catheter in order to watch it. Isn't it over four hours? Feels like it.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Cleopatra (1963) should've been called Caesar because the instant that Rex Harrison in that role is gone the film becomes thereafter unwatchable.

In answer to the question, though -- NO, I would never watch a movie deliberately in chunks.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

WAR AND PEACE (1966). And SATANTANGO (1994), but in this one I fell asleep a lot.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Micheal Penn: Yeah, but audiences were going to see the movie Anthony, or, rather, to see Richard Burton falling for Elizabeth Taylor! (To me, the second half of the film looked like Tonya Harding and Jeff Gilooly trying to run an empire.)

In our lives we've seen a new art form: video. Back in the 1920s when the Fleischer brothers were making animated graphs for a documentary, one justified an oversimplification of something to the writer by saying that if readers didn't understand something in a book they could go back and reread it until they did, but if they didn't understand something in a movie they couldn't ask the projectionist to rewind the film. We still can't ask the projectionist, but with video I can rewatch until I understand, or pause to think things over (maybe get that moment of "fridge logic"), or maybe just get a break from any relentless feeling of whatever the filmmaker may be trying to invoke. One problem is that they look so much alike, and movies are being delivered as video. I may be making a mistake in watching movies as video; something like reading poetry as prose; I hope I'm not doing irreparable harm to the experience.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

To answer the original question...no.  I don't watch movies in chunks over days or weeks.  Doesn't matter if they are 90 or 280 minutes.  I give them their due. I can't chunk them out into somewhat digestible content.  I've got to watch them as they were intended to be seen, which is why my wife and I will look at a runtime before deciding on a film we want to watch late night.  If I can't watch it start to finish, then I'm not interested in watching it until I can do so. I also don't stop episodic television halfway through an hour, essentially splitting what should be viewed in 42 minutes into two 20 minute segments.  Doesn't make sense to me unless you have kids. If you don't and you're just tired, then just go to bed and watch the full episode when you can stay awake.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To answer the original question...no. I don't watch movies in chunks over days or weeks. Doesn't matter if they are 90 or 280 minutes. I give them their due. I can't chunk them out into somewhat digestible content. I've got to watch them as they were intended to be seen, which is why my wife and I will look at a runtime before deciding on a film we want to watch late night. If I can't watch it start to finish, then I'm not interested in watching it until I can do so. I also don't stop episodic television halfway through an hour, essentially splitting what should be viewed in 42 minutes into two 20 minute segments. Doesn't make sense to me unless you have kids. If you don't and you're just tired, then just go to bed and watch the full episode when you can stay awake.
+++++++++++++

...and this is why we love Matt Reed.

Ditto on all counts. Also, I want to slap some of my friends who text and whatnot when we're watching a movie in my home. So annoying. PAY ATTENTION!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |