Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Charlottesville Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hard to believe this racists ideology has been alive for 70+ years. You would think after two major wars involving a portion of humanity enslaving or claiming superiority over another part of humanity this type of thinking would fade away. However, it continues to this day. VICE News did a great episode on what happened at Charlottesville with some very close access to the organizers. I suggest you seek it out and watch the episode.
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Godwin's Law" doesn't apply when you're talking about people who are Nazis or want to be Nazis.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Kevin Brown wrote:
"Godwin's Law" doesn't apply when you're talking about people who are Nazis or want to be Nazis.

Mike Godwin, originator of the famous law, tweeted a couple of days ago: "By all means, compare these shitheads to Nazis. Again and again. I'm with you."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This isn't 'the next Civil War'. It's the next 1968.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Members of Trump's Strategic and Policy forum decided to disband today.

Separate to that group is Trump's strategic manufacturing council, which is the one the CEOs have been leaving in droves (the CEO of 3M became the latest -- and last -- to leave today). 

Rather than have any more CEOs quit, Trump has disbanded the whole thing...

And he also claimed he put an end to the group that disbanded itself, with this tweet:

"Rather than putting pressure on the businesspeople of the Manufacturing Council & Strategy & Policy Forum, I am ending both. Thank you all!"

Don't think he got the names quite right.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon issued a statement saying:

"Fanning divisiveness is not the answer. Constructive economic and regulatory policies are not enough and will not matter if we do not address the divisions in our country. It is a leader's role, in business or government, to bring people together, not tear them apart.

"Today the President' Strategic and policy Forum agreed to disband. The group put out its own statement. But I also wanted you to know to understand why I personally supported this decision and how strongly I feel about these issues."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It says it all when George W. Bush is right:

But, of course, 45 could never be wrong, eh? It's everyone else that is wrong, business leaders, other politicians, past politicians, the media, etc.

The "covfefe" thing was a major turning point for me. He could not take ownership of that one silly mistake. I'd have had a modicum of respect for him if he'd said, "Yeah, I sent an incomplete tweet. Keyboard too small. I can't believe I didn't realize it until too late." I'd respect that, even in him.

But no, he tried to make out "covfefe" was meant to be part of his sentence as did sycophants like Sean Spicer and others. Well, I'm sorry, but if the guy can't take ownership of a typo, then I sure as hell don't want him negotiating a trade deal with the UK or handling bigger things.

I'd love to meet one of his sycophants (over that covfefe tweet) and ask them this: Exactly how does "Due to negative press covfefe" make any sense at all? It doesn't, whatever he and his sycophants say.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hey!  anybody heard from Bibi Netanyahu?

You'd think the leader of Israel would have something to say about an American President making excuses for Nazis behaving badly.

He and Trump must be closer than we ever thought.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'd love to meet one of his sycophants (over that covfefe tweet) and ask them this: Exactly how does "Due to negative press covfefe" make any sense at all? It doesn't, whatever he and his sycophants say.

•••

Maybe the nephew-nazis can explain it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was told I was overreacting to the "covfefe" thing by a colleague, but I felt it represented something far more profound than a typo.

It represents ego, maybe even narcissism. Whatever criticisms a person can make of Barack Obama's presidency, I can imagine Obama having a smile and laughing at his typos. I can imagine many other presidents having a laugh about it - and acknowledging their mistakes.

If 45 can lie about a small thing like that, what else does he lie about? If he'll cover up a typo, he'll cover up far, far worse. A person who COULD admit, openly, to the world that he hit the "send" button too soon, or made a typo, is someone who lacks an excessive ego and could be trusted on many things. But like I said, if 45 will lie even about a typo, it shows a mindset that cannot be swayed or take responsibility.

And that's worry. If I can't trust him on "covfefe" (again, that sentence makes no sense, what the hell is "Due to negative press covfefe"), then how can I trust anything he said about Charlottesville in his press conference? How can I trust anything he says about ANY subject? 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 16 August 2017 at 8:42pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

..edit to remove to another thread....

Edited by James Johnson on 16 August 2017 at 10:00pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Re: STAN'S SOAPBOX