Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: . Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It all sounds like the idiots I encountered when I first cam online, who insisted that people in comics were all SHOUTING. (All caps)

HAHAHA...I like (sarcasm) how a "new" rule evolves (all caps in text) and some idiot wants to retcon an entire comic book history/legacy.

It proves a much broader problem I have with the world. I do not understand how/why? many people think the way they do.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The flip side of the SHOUTING argument appeared with Marvel's ridiculous mixed-case affectation. Then there were people who said all the characters were whispering!
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
One suggestion is that texting is read more like a conversation. So people are taking tonal cues from the period that may or may not be there.

Is signaling the end of a sentence and/or thought now considered a "tonal cue"?  C'mon.  There are periods in conversation.  It's when someone ends a thought. I kinda, sorta, maybe (but still think it would be silly) to read a "tonal cue" into a question mark or exclamation point, but a period is doing yeoman's work.  Unless you actually say (or in this case text) the word "period" then it has no other meaning than to end a sentence.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
 It can be. If a period is placed after every single word in a sentence, it does emphasise how the writer is emphasising every word. In context, it can sound angry.

Just. Like. This.

And that makes sense. In context.  It doesn't make sense to rule out its usage entirely because simply using it to end a sentence is somehow a "trigger" denoting anger, which (again in context) it is not.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, spelling and grammar have been dying a slow death in this country for years. I have struggled to advocate using the right forms in any context... which has caused me to be called the Grammar "N word". One of the very few ways to get me pissed off instantly*.

I think that texting, Tweeting, Facebook, etc. have supplied the ignorant and lazy a forum where they cannot be taken to task for their lack of integrity to communicate correctly. But that's a symptom, not a cause. (Then again, I just used an incomplete sentence there, so apparently I'm not immune to such laziness... :)

*I reference the curious to Fantastic Four Annual #10, when Namor called Ben Grimm the same... and I feel about the same in response.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matt Reed: And that makes sense. In context.  It doesn't make sense to rule out its usage entirely because simply using it to end a sentence is somehow a "trigger" denoting anger, which (again in context) it is not.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------
Is that what is being said in the documentary? OK then, yes, that it ridiculous. Context is everything.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is that what is being said in the documentary?

••

Okay, since we're on the subject of clarity, here, what is not clear in "Just watched a -- let's call it a documentary, that informed me that in texting the period (.) is considered ANGRY."?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This seems somehow related to my current vexation, seeing commas left out of long numbers. So 1,000,000,000 becomes 1000000000, which is NOT easily read at a glance. And which is cousin to using commas instead of decimal points, so 1.0034 becomes 1,0034.

If it ain't broke. . . .

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just imagine what things would be like if we had a hand-held device that actually let us TALK directly to another person, rather than having to resort to typing-out our messages word-by-word. 

Seems like something like that would literally revolutionize person-to-person communication.

</sarcasm>
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sometimes I wonder if we're headed or even arriving here...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Is signaling the end of a sentence and/or thought now considered a "tonal cue"?  C'mon.  There are periods in conversation.  It's when someone ends a thought. I kinda, sorta, maybe (but still think it would be silly) to read a "tonal cue" into a question mark or exclamation point, but a period is doing yeoman's work.  Unless you actually say (or in this case text) the word "period" then it has no other meaning than to end a sentence.  

------

As someone who can be described as terse in real-life conversation, absolutely. People think I'm angry when I'm being economic.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Don't be.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |