Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Kirby 100 (A Celebration) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Received today my comp copies of this book from Two Morrows, a collection of 100 essays celebrating the work, and 100th anniversary of the birth, of Jacob Kurtzberg, aka Jack Kirby.

The actual anniversary is the 28th of this month, but I thought I'd use the arrival of this volume as an excuse to start our celebrations.

So, let the bells ring out and the banners fly....!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ooohhhh! Gonna have to look into getting the book!

Kirby's surely the single most influential and beloved artist in the history of the medium. He may not have been the most proficient on a technical level (anatomy, perspective, etc.), but he more than made up for it with sheer power and imagination. Has any other artist done so much for the art of comics? I doubt it. Character designs, technology, storytelling techniques--SO much impact, and SO much to love about his work.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gary S. Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The book will hit comic book store shelves on Wednesday the 23rd.  There are hard and paperback editions available at the same time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was watching an interview with Ron Frenz on Youtube and the subject of Kirby came up.  He said (paraphrasing) that he started with Kirby, fell in love with comics, then went to Buscema, Romita Sr, etc.  and they were more technically perfect, so it was essentially the perfect style.  But it was after that experience that he went BACK to Kirby and could appreciate what Jack Kirbyhad contributed on a different level.  Although not technically perfect, it was so bold and bombastic and unique.

I had never heard it explained like that and thought was a really neat way to describe how powerful an influence Jack Kirby was.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I admire his attention to detail. The worlds he created are so profound. Although one is reading word balloons, I found myself totally immersed in what he created.

My views are akin to many of those shared so far. 

I was pleased to have been able to read *colour* reprints of his and Stan Lee's FF work (reprinted in the UK via the FANTASTIC FOUR ADVENTURES comic). 

A great talent. Also, I read that he was 44 when he started work on the FF. I know that wasn't his first work, but it inspires me to think someone did it at that age. I'm not quite 44, but as someone with dreams/goals/aspirations, I am inspired and reminded that one doesn't have to peak in late twenties/early thirties. We can always achieve new things and do new things.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A Local store Arcadian Comics & Games is having a Kirby 100 celebration on Saturday August 26 and I'm going to try and attend.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A great talent. Also, I read that he was 44 when he started work on the FF. I know that wasn't his first work, but it inspires me to think someone did it at that age. I'm not quite 44, but as someone with dreams/goals/aspirations, I am inspired and reminded that one doesn't have to peak in late twenties/early thirties. We can always achieve new things and do new things.
++++++++

It's important to remember that FANTASTIC FOUR was the product of two middle-aged men who already had decades of experience in the comic biz under their belts. They had to play by the rules for many years before breaking them. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rob Liefeld was once quoted as saying no one over 24 should be allowed to work in comics. Did he really say it? Don't know, don't care. But it does represent an attitude that runs hand-in-hand with the utter lack of knowledge of history that vexes this industry.

No one over 24? Apply that retroactive to the early Sixties, and bye-bye Marvel. (Jack Kirkby, 1917; Stan Lee, 1922; Steve Ditko, 1927)

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So when Jack begun his FF run he was 44??? ok.. thats the proof that never its too late to do anything..(at least in the comicbook field!)
I know that Jack was working many years before his FF run in the field but it was as if in his 40s he  "ressurected" himself and begun anew!really amazing!!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Looking thru the KIRBY 100 book, I am struck once again by the surprising delicacy of some of Jack's work. That's not a word we normally associate with his output, yet in so many of his drawings there are slender, graceful curves that loop together to create more massive forms.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Could Rob ('No one over 24 should work in comics') Liefeld have been referring to IQ?

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I got mine today and had to see what our host had to say/write about Jack and I must report JB's assessment is bang on.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |