Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: Star Trek: TOS On Horror Channel Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I returned home from work to find STAR TREK airing on the Horror Channel. As I type this, "The Enterprise Incident" is on. 

The Horror Channel? Really?!!!

Channels long ago gave up their specializations. MTV probably hasn't played a music video in years; wrestling (Extreme Championship Wrestling) once aired on the Sci-Fi Channel; and perhaps it all began when PLANET OF THE APES aired on the History Channel.

Still, very odd to see STAR TREK on the screen with the Horror Channel logo in the top left corner.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 20 September 2017 at 11:03am
Back to Top profile | search

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

BBC America also runs Star Trek - TNG and Voyager,  I thought the whole point of that channel was to show BBC shows -- for America.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Years ago I had DISNEY and PLAYBOY on my cable service, and during a "free" month I noticed something: both had to really stretch to fill their 24 hours with "appropriate" content.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The only issue I really have is that STAR TREK doesn't need to be on the Horror Channel. There are so many rarely-seen horror shows/movies they could show (e.g. THE HITCHHIKER). STAR TREK is on Netflix. There are DVDs. The films are shown on TV. Surely the Horror Channel could devote the STAR TREK "slot" to something that featured, well, horror.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A few years ago, I wrote an email to Canada's Space Channel asking what the justification was for them to show the program "Castle" every night at 8 pm? The response was that sf fans were interested because the star of the show used to be the star of Firefly.

Right....so I expected they would soon start also showing TJ Hooker and Bonanza. Unfortunately, the CRTC soon afterwards told TV stations (and the public) that stations were no longer beholden to the content stated on their broadcast licence. Any station can show any program. And it shows!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sounds tenuous, Peter. 

What's next? A wrestling network or streaming service showing GOLDFINGER (well, Harold Sakata, who played Oddjob, had been a wrestler). Maybe a sci-fi channel can show THE A-TEAM given Dirk Benedict links the two - and a Cylon made a cameo in a THE A-TEAM episode. 

How far do we go? Linking a sci-fi themed channel with CASTLE because of a guest star sets a disconcerting precedent.

Coming soon: the complete run of THE COLBYS (1985-87) on a sci-fi network because, well, aliens did show up in on episode!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How far do we go? Linking a sci-fi themed channel with CASTLE because of a guest star sets a disconcerting precedent.

I'm reminded of back when the CRTC was insisting on increased "Canadian Content", but a season of IRONSIDE slipped past the goalie because (a) Raymond Burr was Canadian born and (b) an episode addressed the FLQ bombings in Quebec.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sounds very much like "have cake and eat it" mindset. 

For me, this isn't a major issue, it certainly doesn't lead to sleepless nights. But I do miss the days of relevant content. I used to browse the History Channel often - seeing PLANET OF THE APES on there, a film on DVD and which has aired on numerous TV channels, I think, 'I wish they'd devoted the slot to something else.' 

Sure, I find something else eventually, especially in this age of streaming, but I just wish channels would retain their specialities. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There was plenty of Horror in the Sixties Star Trek! Looking over just the first season, about a quarter of the episodes qualify without stretching the definition of horror, and even more if we do stretch it.

Then there was that episode where Piglet turned out to be Jack the Ripper...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

David, you're clasping at straws, my friend. ;-)

There's an episode of KNIGHT RIDER where a man in a gorilla suit strangles a woman to death at a Halloween party (witnessed by a main character). And an episode where a 'voodoo queen' is convincing people to throw themselves from buildings. So should they be featured on the Horror Channel? ;-)

STAR TREK certainly had horrific moments (a certain scene in "By Any Other Name" made me feel uneasy as a teenager), but it is not a horror series.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robbie: Hey, that episode of Knight Rider where KARR threatened to blow up a woman by creating a vacuum with its airtight confines was pretty horrifying...

I'll agree I'm grasping overall, but all the same I'd go much further than saying ST had "horrific moments".  Man Trap was horror. Charlie X was horror. Devil in the Dark was horror.  

Overall, Star Trek had more episodes of outright horror than naval warfare.  

Edited by David Miller on 20 September 2017 at 3:51pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Something I like about the first two seasons of Star Trek is the diversity of genre. I think someone could program a week of Star Trek for The Western Channel, if it's out there. While researching my nonsense above, I stumbled across a blog that compared Star Trek to the Twilight Zone, and I think there's merit in that observation. 

The producers deserve a lot of credit, and so do the actors. The main three had startling gravitas, yet could be screamingly funny. Leonard Nimoy pulled off the hardest trick, I think, by so often being the butt of jokes, while never allowing them to be at his expense. Hell of an acting partner, that guy.

Edited by David Miller on 20 September 2017 at 6:22pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

A couple weeks ago, the Star Wars prequels went up on demand on Sling TV.  They were listed under movie comedies.  Somehow appropriate.  Proof from my phone below:

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Wonder if it was read by someone as "Attack of the Clowns" to get the 'Comedy' categorization...

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"I'll agree I'm grasping overall, but all the same I'd go much further than saying ST had "horrific moments". Man Trap was horror. Charlie X was horror. Devil in the Dark was horror.

Overall, Star Trek had more episodes of outright horror than naval warfare."
And far more directly, consider the horror aspects of all of Robert Bloch's episodes: What Are Little Girls Made Of?, Catspaw, and Wolf In The Fold. I still have a hard time accepting that Scotty knifed some people to death just because he was possessed by an alien spirit.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Kevin, if it could happen to Jean Grey, it could happen to Montgomery Scott.

I just re-watched "Wolf in the Fold," because it is so damn great.

My favorite part of the episode is the matter-of-fact professionalism Kirk and Bones display as once again they set out to clear Scotty of felony charges, clearly a familiar chore of shore leave housekeeping (in the very next episode, Scotty gets arrested for a bar brawl). It's like, well, Scotty's never stabbed a woman before... But wow, do his friends consider the possibility.

Kirk and Bones set the whole thing up before anybody is even killed, with a conversation about Scotty's resentment of women. In real life, a man whose resentment of women is so palpable it comes up in conversation among his colleagues doesn't surprise anyone when they escalate to homicide.

Captain Kirk never once expressed certainly on Scotty's innocence, until he's definitively cleared. He offers alternate scenarios, but also the most plausible theory that fits the available facts when he suggests Scotty's recent head injury turned him into an amnesiac maniac.

It may not work for fans who've known the character for 50 years, but the character was a little over one year old when the a episode aired, and the audience has to trust Kirk's ambivalence.

Also, it's not quite the horror episode I made it out to be. Maybe it was by the standards of the late Sixties; very little that was scary then is scary now, but if that were the case it would probably be funnier. It's a more of whodunit with sci-fi trapping and horror mechanics.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |