Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: 15 Worst Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2017 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I got as far on that list as 'The Turnabout Intruder'...'the womanizing Kirk is trapped in a female body...and he wasn't even interested?'
The writer probably thinks THE THING WITH TWO HEADS would have been more realistic if the Ray Milland and Rosey Grier characters has been sexually attracted to one another...

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 28 September 2017 at 5:40pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

AAAUUUGHHH! Thanks, Brian - now you've got that image in my head and I CAN'T GET IT OUT!

Moreso, when I saw the movie, I tried to figure how they got the close up scenes to work... and now THAT'S working against me too!

GAAAAAAHHH!!!

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I agree with a lot of them though Star Trek V and Generations are sort of guilty pleasures. "Genesis" falls into the same category because it's just dopey fun.
I agree that Nemesis should be there. And also "The Alternative Factor." I just couldn't wait for that one to end. I think "Insurrection" is better than people give it credit for. It just has some awful parts (Data singing Gilbert & Sullivan? Really?).

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

TNG also has a lot of what I call 'finding family' episodes -- shows where one of the main characters is searching for or finds/introduces completely new members of their family.   While they aren't 'bad' episodes per se it does point to writer's room fatigue towards the end of TNG and an overal decline in the average quality of episodes in general.   When you take a few steps back and look at the overall mix of themes during the last few seasons there's a high proportion of this type of episode:

*Worf goes looking for his Father ('Birthright I/II' -- Season 6)

*Riker finds his duplicate/twin brother ('Second Chances -- Season 6)

*Geordi goes looking for his Mother (''Interface' -- Season 7)

*We are introduced to Worf's human step-brother, Nikolai ('Homeward' -- Season 7)

*Data finds his Mother. ('Inheritence' -- Season 7)

*We meet K'mtar, who claims to be a relative of Worf's, later revealed to be his son Alexander from an alternate future ('Firstborn' -- Season 7)

*Picard finds a son, Jason Vigo.  Jason is later revealed to have been genetically manipulated to appear as Picard's son on scans.  ('Bloodlines' -- Season 7)

*Deanna learns of a previously unknown deceased sister, Kestra. ('Dark Path' -- Season 7)

*Worf finds out that he and Deanna are a married couple in a parallel reality ('Parallels' -- Season 7)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dorothy Fontana quit early on (in part due to Roddenberry jamming sex stuff that made the women look bad into the scripts). 

The only other name which comes to mind from my casual knowledge of TNG is Melinda Snodgrass.

Jeri Taylor is probably the most significant female writer for TNG-era STAR TREK, and later the showrunner for VOYAGER.

The only other female TREK writer of note that springs to mind for me is Hilary Bader, and that's because I'm more familiar with her DCAU work.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jeri Taylor is probably the most significant female writer for TNG-era STAR TREK, and later the showrunner for VOYAGER.

++++++++

Taylor did pop into my head, but I couldn't remember offhand if she'd worked on TNG as well as VOYAGER.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

*We meet K'mtar, who claims to be a relative of Worf's, later revealed to be his son Alexander from an alternate future ('Firstborn' -- Season 7)

I didn't know Chris Claremont wrote for TNG!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |