Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: ENTERPRISE a Hologram? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In the article listing the 15 worst examples of TREK, a reference is made to the final episode of ENTERPRISE revealing the whole thing was just a hologram?

Really? I know about that ending, but did it really go that far?

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I believe that's a very poor use of English by the writer of that article.

There was an interview on a Trek site (can't recall which one) with writer Mike Sussman. There were plans for the ENTERPRISE finale to feature the Doctor from Voyager: he was going to treat a patient who was convinced he was Archer, trapped in the future. I think they were going to be ambiguous, the episode ending with us wondering whether it was a guy who thought he was Archer or the real Archer.

If such an episode had been produced, whether we believed it was a guy who was insane or the real Archer, it does place Archer as a historical character within the franchise.

There were all sorts of interviews about what the finale was going to feature. I think they were considering a crossover with prior TREK shows. So that also would mean Archer's timeline/history happened.

Perhaps someone else has a view, but I think it was poor wording by that article writer.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If such an episode had been produced, whether we believed it was a guy who was insane or the real Archer, it does place Archer as a historical character within the franchise.

Not necessarily. I'm sure people can have delusions in which they believe they are fictional characters.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, that is true.

Be interesting to see if anyone knows for sure.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

On that topic, I highly recommend THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, starring George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward. An eminent jurist suffers an emotional trauma that leaves him thinking he is Sherlock Holmes.

Don't worry, it's a comedy, tho thankfully not a heavy handed one!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks, hadn't heard of that one. I do like George C. Scott's work.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When the premise for ENTERPRISE's finale was announced, I believe that some people assumed it was retconning the entire show into a holographic fantasy.

In the actual episode, of course, we see Riker using a holodeck program of the NX-01's final mission (depicted as an actual historical event, not a fantasy) to help him sort out his feelings about the situation in he was dealing with in "The Pegasus" (the TNG episode which the TNG-era portions of ENTERPRISE are set during). There's never any indication that the bulk of ENTERPRISE was "really" a holodeck simulation. 

The much-maligned series finale just used the TNG/holodeck gimmick as a way to flash-forward a few years in ENTERPRISE's timeline to show the crew's final mission together. I can only assume that the author of the article based their review on those early rumors about the finale, misunderstood the premise upon seeing the finale, or didn't actually watch the finale.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

No, Riker and Troy talk about Archer as a historical person, and refer to his speech at the founding of the Federation (and an Archer-class ship was apparently a thing in NEMESIS). There's a softer version that ENTERPRISE is a badly-researched historical holoseries, the Borg and Ferengi thrown in as a joke to the Enterprise-D crew.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No, Riker and Troy talk about Archer as a historical person, and refer to his speech at the founding of the Federation (and an Archer-class ship was apparently a thing in NEMESIS). There's a softer version that ENTERPRISE is a badly-researched historical holoseries, the Borg and Ferengi thrown in as a joke to the Enterprise-D crew.

Or it's all in Picard's head!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |