Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The Gifted Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I actually like The Flash on CW quite a bit (never could get into Arrow at all and I've tried and haven't really watched much Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl). I was thinking more like Pretty Little Liars in tone except with mutants. Guess I should at least give it a chance and see.
Back to Top profile | search

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, I've only recently given up on those shows. I'm just saying this is somewhat tonally similar to them, though; it's a pretty severe step down in terms of quality. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The basic premise of this show is a good one--humans hunting mutants, from the point of view of a family whose kids were just revealed as mutants.  The family aspect seems a bit limited though, and it might have made a better movie.

Already the focus seems to be shifting to the mutants helping the family, specifically Polaris, Thunderbird, and Blink--three X-Men from different comic book eras, but well-played here.

It's a bit funny here to see Thunderbird as the voice of reason and Polaris is the edgy one, but I'm okay with both changes.

I have no problem with this show.  It's miles ahead of that sad INHUMANS attempt.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's more straightforward than LEGION, bordering on 'traditional' in it's approach (though I use the term lightly as they aren't using some classic X-men characters in their regular settings).  In that sense it helps to balance out the TV end of the Singer-verse.   

I do like that they established where and when this show happens in relation to the rest of the 'current' X-men film continuity.   Perhaps it's a sad commentary on the state of other media adaptations that I'm thankful this show doesn't piss all over LOGAN in trying to be it's own thing.

It's quite clear the rest of the world is now aware of mutants and mutant groups.  People talk about the X-men and the Brotherhood in the same breath and although lip service is paid to "good" and "evil" I suspect the average person in this world doesn't see a difference if loss of life happens because of outright terrorism (human or mutant) or if it's collateral damage from mutants with good intentions battling mutants with ill intent.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 20 October 2017 at 4:01am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Watched the first episode last night and found it kind of awful. But as pilots are often bad, I'll give it a couple of more episodes to improve.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |