Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Ghosted Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Okay, I'll come back for a second look, but I think it may thin out fast.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I liked it. IMO, I think that some live action science fiction, fantasy,paranormal/horror/supernatural,and superhero TV shows work better as half hour long episodes instead of being an hour long.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I liked it enough to watch more. I think Adam Scott and Craig Robinson are both really funny in most of the stuff they do (particularly Party Down and the Office respectively, though Robinson also turned out a great dramatic turn in the last season of Mr. Robot). Adam Scott kind of always plays the straight man in comedies, though a straight man who is also funny in a witty sarcastic fashion(see also: Jason Bateman). As JB said, it may thin out fast, but I'll give it a shot to see.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sorry to disagree, but I thought it was dreadful.  There was zero chemistry between the leads, the humor was forced and the spin on Men in Black was less than inspired.  I expected more from this group and, sadly, it disappointed.

I'll try the second episode to see if there are any course corrections, but it's on as short a leash as it gets.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Pilots are often not great so it very well may improve in the second episode.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hope so!  Love all involved.  It just didn't work for me on many different levels.  In this day and age of so much great television across so many different platforms, I really don't think you can afford to miss with your pilot in the way some series were given the room to grow into themselves earlier in television history.  You miss in '74 with four channels (ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS) you had the time to find yourself.  Now?  Please.  Out of the gate strong and even then you're lucky if you make some noise.  GHOSTED just didn't do it for me at all.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Second episode was okay, but only okay. I feel myself becoming more aware of Adam Scott's limitations as an actor. Is that just type casting?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This is one of those shows that "on paper" should be a no miss.
But that's why you play the game. I seen a couple of glimmers of hope last night, may not be enough to get me back though.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not super impressed with the second episode of this either. I find myself wondering if it would work better as a one hour show with a bit more drama mixed in with the comedy, but part of the problem with the show so far is that the comedy hasn't been particularly funny. I mean, the show is fine, I'm entertained for a half hour so it's not terrible, but it's also not great. And JB, I do believe that Adam Scott is being typecast, because I've seen him in things that fall outside of his usual roles he's given and he's capable of more than this. Guys like Adam Scott and Craig Robinson and Danny McBride seem to be given the same character in almost everything they're in, but when they get the chance to do something else like Robinson in Mr. Robot or McBride in Alien: Covenant (one of the only good things about that film), or Scott in Big Little Lies or Sleeping With Other People, they show some range.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Three in and I'm out.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Dang. Still hasn't improved, eh? I was going to watch it later tonight, now not even sure I should bother.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I had 30 minutes to kill before work tonight and decided to watch the 3rd episode. I have to say this one actually worked for me. I thought the plot was terrible and the b story was useless and wasted time and found myself questioning when the two leads actually became friends (I guess between the 2nd episode and this one), but I thought this was the first episode where it seemed like the chemistry worked, possibly because they're shown as friends, and some of the jokes worked. I do think this show really suffers from not being long enough. If they were going to do an X-files parody it really needed to be an hour long, much like The Orville and Star Trek, to actually flesh out the one and done stories and still build some character development. I'm going to keep watching for now, but this episode was a make or break it for me and I'll give it another episode at least to see if continues improving.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |