Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Charlton Bytes with John Byrne! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK

The old thread about the Charlton movie has been locked. As that thread was posted in the main forum, being that JB is directly involved,  I am posting this one here,  too. The link above is to a snippet of an interview with JB in the upcoming documentary.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Really enjoyed that snippet and am looking forward to that documentary. Have to say though, that first comment on the video about how JB is as reclusive as Steve Ditko is way off the mark. Granted, he doesn't do interviews anymore or conventions (with a few exceptions recently), but is having an internet forum where anyone can ask you questions and interact with you really reclusive? That seems like another case of someone needing a dictionary, much like that bit JB found with someone saying he's disavowed his older work. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They referred to Ditko and me as their "unicorns" -- the two people they really, really, really wanted to get for the movie, but didn't think they could.

Steve Ditko and me in the same sentence. Amazing!!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The way I hear it, Steve Ditko isn't really "reclusive," either. He won't grant interviews or make public appearances, but I understand he will actually chat with people.  In fact, I hear tell he is quite talkative when it comes to issues he wants to discuss.

Years ago, a friend of mine received some correspondence from Ditko (handwritten letters, no less), after he wrote to Ditko. My friend is a particularly interesting person himself, and I believe one reason Ditko responded to him was my friend didn't discuss comics so much as philosophy with Ditko. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't want to spoil what JB says in the clip from the documentary for those who haven't watched the clip yet, but I have to say I bet that was a real thrill. Every time I've met someone I deeply admire and whose work I'm a fan of or someone fairly famous, I get the same kind of tongue-tied awkwardness. It happened when I met George Perez and when I met Crispin Glover in an alley just before he was about to do a spoken word performance/book reading in the theater next door (which was pretty hilarious). 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

When is this documentary coming out?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was curious about that as well, Rick. Tried to check and couldn't find any release date and the last update on the Charlton the Movie Facebook page was October of last year.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Shane, I follow the FB page. I will have to check around to see if there is a given date, but the page is updated regularly. The post you saw is a "pinned" post that always remains at the top of that page. They update regularly with posts about the documentary, or about Charlton, though.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Matt. Didn't notice that first post was a pinned post and thought that was the last update. Good to hear it's updated regularly. Hopefully it will be coming out soon. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't think release is imminent. They're still doing interviews and raising funds.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thanks for the update, sir. 

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

An e-mail update came in from the producers in today's e-mail, about 2 PM EST.
Text:

Yes, we were in Buffalo, but this song was also part of the Charlton origin story!

Legend has it that "Shuffle Off To Buffalo" was the first song that John Santangelo ever pirated that would one day lead to the creation of Charlton Press.

Nifty, huh?

Have we told you lately that we are extremely appreciative to ALL of our supporters?

While the documentary is still in the stage of filming, we have to build an audience for when the movie is finally done. For the fans like you, it's exciting when we announce who else has agreed to an interview, but for the most part, you guys do a lot of waiting around while we work behind the scenes.

We do our best to make the rounds at cons to help get the word out, but hey, let's face it - the movie ain't finished, so a lot of cons aren't interested.

Not Buffalo ComiCon! It started when Emil, the showrunner, happened to see someone wearing one of our shirts *gasp!* and got our e-mail. He reached out to us to ask where he could also buy a shirt *double gasp!*, then invited us to present at his show *fainting*.

Holy bananas! This guy is a real fan!

Buffalo ComiCon is an actual, honest to goodness comic-based con - no seriously.... you can actually buy comics at this show and panels are comic centric.... it's not just walls and walls of Funko Pops! 

We prepared an awesome selection of exclusive clips for the show. We posted on social media the entire 7hour drive up Buffalo to get you pumped. We promised that we'd be streaming our panel so nobody would miss out. We were psyched.

Aaaand then we ran into every technical issue that was possible.

As Paul Kupperberg has said, "That's so Charlton."

But rolling with the punches is what we do best! We still had a great panel and even better we met one of our original backers from our Indiegogo campaign! Up and Atom, Edward!

When you're at a comic con that's all about comics (weird, right?) you also meet some of the most dedicated supporters of the medium. Keith and I had the extreme fortune to meet not 1, but 2 great gentlemen who gave us some spectaular advice about how we can finish the movie.

Full circle:

It's all because Buffalo ComiCon saw potential in Charlton Comics: The Movie.

(and P.S. Wherever this project ends up when it's done, you can be certain that we really do remember all of you who were cheering for this project before it became cool.)

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |