Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Your Favourite Year In Comics Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

1982. I discovered those special shops that were stocked wall to wall with comics. Marvel's second wind was in full swing: Claremont's X-Men, JB's Fantastic Four, Miller's Daredevil. Romita JR's Iron Man. Bill Mantlo's ROM, Micronauts. Sienkevich's Moon Knight. Hama's GI Joe. And any of the other Marvel titles I didn't follow monthly would still be a good occasional read. Oh wow life was sooo good! 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 20 October 2017 at 5:35am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great replies, everyone.

Interesting, and I've asked this question before (in my social circle), how some answers are based on when you first started reading comics and other answers are based on random years.

For my choice, there was a lot going on that year. The second version of EAGLE COMIC had launched in 1982, but in 1990, it became full colour - and gave us the original Dan Dare back. So from 1990, I was buying the new EAGLE, the UK DC reprints and a few US titles. So 1990 was an eventful year for me.

And what a year for films, too: HOME ALONE, TOTAL RECALL, GOODFELLAS, ARACHNOPHOBIA, THE WITCHES, DIE HARD 2, etc.

I wasn't short of comic or film entertainment during my year of choice. 
Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I will have to go back through the titles, but I think you can include me for '86 too. Just so much good stuff going on in my young teenage mind at that time. In hindsight, the comic industry did take a dark turn after that. I guess you say the comic industry got 86'd -- 80 miles out and 6 feet under!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, in 1989 (my first year collecting superheroes), this is what I was getting every month (or almost every month):

- New Mutants by Claremont/ Sienkiewicz

Excuse my pedantry, but I'm pretty sure Sienkiewicz had left the book several years before '89. I was barely reading Marvel by then but had followed entire his New Mutants run.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

1984 for me.

I've recounted this story on another recent thread, but I was 14 and went to France with my school as part of a two exchange programme. My maternal grandmother bought me a Marvel comic for every day of the trip so I wouldn't get lonely and I recall it being quite a haul - Sue losing the baby in FF 267 and the arrival of the Hellions in New Mutants 16.

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For me, it was '83.  Although I read comics before that, I became a collector that year -- seeking out new books and old issues to read.  I discovered who creators were and started explicitly following their works.  And some of my personal favorites were from that year as well, including JB's Fantastic Four and Alpha Flight, Frank Miller's Ronin, and Paul Smith's run on the X-Men.  It's the year I went from a casual reader to a fan.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I enjoyed DP7, too, although it was impossible to get hold of (I found some back issues at a car boot sale).

Add me to the list of those that enjoyed DP7. Definitely my favourite and most consistent of the New Universe titles - I managed to get hold of loads of issues in my LSC bargain bin while the run was ongoing.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't have comics in front of me so I can't point to specific issues but going on memory my first instinct is 1983.  A lot of my favorite then-up and comers were undertaking some of their best title runs (Byrne on FF, Miller on DD and then Ronin, which I also quite enjoyed, Perez on Titans, Sienciewicz on Moon Knight, Simonson on Thor, Grell on Warlord and then Sable) whilst many of the older vets were still doing great work on their own bread and butter (Swan still drawing Superman, Aparo nearing the end of his Brave and the Bold run, Buscema still on Conan.)  Shooter seemed to have the Marvel product in line and on schedule and didn't appear to have yet fully morphed into the dictator some say he later became.  It just was a great mix of new and old talent with reliably 15-20 titles I could buy most months of that year and be happy.   I could have said 1982, which was much the same, but I think for me 1983 was the zenith.

Edited by Rick Senger on 21 October 2017 at 3:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Excuse my pedantry, but I'm pretty sure Sienkiewicz had left the book several years before '89. I was barely reading Marvel by then but had followed entire his New Mutants run.

I was thinking the same thing, Matthew but then noted he was in Brazil and likely got the titles content much later through Brazilian reprints. I've noted several instances of that throughout this thread from folks who read the stories I read a few years later through foreign reprint versions. 

And, David, yes to all those other 1986 titles I forgot, especially Son of Ambush Bug, Swamp Thing, and the Stern/Buscema/Palmer Avengers (I also loved the Official Handbook and Who's Who when they were coming it and used them as reference guides for drawing those characters). The Avengers run in particular is my favorite run of Avengers ever despite not even being my favorite lineup of Avengers. Roger Stern is such a great writer and that Buscema and Palmer art team was just gorgeous. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was thinking the same thing, Matthew but then noted he was in Brazil and likely got the titles content much later through Brazilian reprints.

Bloody good point, Shane.

So, Mario, my apologies for questioning your choices. In all likelihood you did read them in '89.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was thinking the same thing, Matthew but then noted he was in Brazil and likely got the titles content much later through Brazilian reprints. I've noted several instances of that throughout this thread from folks who read the stories I read a few years later through foreign reprint versions. 

It's a bit like how the UK DC reprint SUPERMAN title reprinted MOS in 1988. I'd read it in 1986, but anyone coming aboard that title in 1988 would associate '88 with MOS even though the US published it in '86. 

It's also like how Panini (the successor to Marvel UK) are reprinting many titles now, some of them from 2-3 years ago. It can be confusing if I chat with someone from the US because I may mention the "new" Wolverine (Laura). Her exploits are new to me but the current reprints are, I think, from 2014 or 2015. So from the perspective of an American, they aren't new even if I describe them as such.

Also, when the UK Batman title began (BATMAN MONTHLY was its name), it was 1988. But it initially reprinted late 70s Batman tales. For a Brit, those tales were "new" but if they'd mentioned that to an American, the American would have said, "I was reading those ten years ago." :)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 21 October 2017 at 4:24pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |