Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Your Favourite Year In Comics Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not sure we've done this topic before, but it'd be interesting to hear about a favourite year in comics - from as many of you as possible.

Two rules, please. Firstly, ONE year only: no honourable mentions, ties or a "laundry list" of years; secondly, it must be a year in which you were alive and were buying comics (so if you were born in 1970, but read a lot of 1960 comics recently, you can't name 1960 as a favourite year). You must have experienced it.

Obviously, naming a favourite year doesn't mean other years were bad, inferior, etc. Just pick a year in which you had a lot of fun/enjoyment.

Final rule: do elaborate, even if it's only a sentence or paragraph.

Go!

For me, I'm going to pick 1990. I do have many fond memories of that year, depressing though it is to think that I experienced that 27 years ago (I get depressed when someone tells me they were born in 1990 or 1991!).

First up, our host's NAMOR series began. Truth be told, I couldn't buy every issue: there were no comic stores nearby and the newsagent didn't seem interested in doing a regular order. But I read many of them and later tracked them down. I enjoyed the story and the art; I enjoyed the CEO aspect, the focus on the environment, etc. In fact, 1989/90 was a two-year period where I became more environmentally aware (the UK Green Party had had much success in '89). Lots of pro-environment books were published that year; and with Namor also tackling environmental issues, it gave me many fond memories.

It was also a good year for reprints here in the UK. London Editions Magazines had the licence to reprint DC tales. In the spring/summer of 1990, there were four UK titles: SUPERMAN was 48 pages long and reprinted our host's run and JUSTICE LEAGUE tales; BATMAN was also 48-pages long and reprinted vintage Batman tales; DC ACTION reprinted Teen Titans, Animal Man and various origin tales; and ZONES reprinted the darker DC stories such as Swamp Thing.

Whilst Marvel UK was mainly doing licensed comics (e.g. THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS), there were some superhero titles, too.

BATMAN: DIGITAL JUSTICE was published that year. A very different Batman tale, one produced in a unique way (computer-driven). I enjoyed it.

A ROBOCOP comic was published by Marvel.

And in late 1990, I managed to get my hands on BATMAN: YEAR ONE, THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and so much else. Late 1990 saw me move near to a proper comic store where I could get everything.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm going to go with 1968. DC's comics were just slightly trending towards realistic, but still pretty fantastic. Curt Swan on Superman and the Legion. Probably as wide a range of comics as DC published in the Silver Age. Neal Adams just getting started on Batman stories in B&B. Marvel starting to hit their stride really hard with a lot of fantastic books.

My perspective may be a bit skewed at 50 years ago, but I remember that there were more comics than I could possibly read, and that they were really fun and really good. Other times have had matched up to it... but that one sticks with me.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

1986.  JB's Man of Steel and Incredible Hulk and the end of his FF run. (Also Legends though the art was the best thing about that one.) Squadron Supreme. Watchmen. Dark Knight Returns. Batman: Year One. Crisis on Infinite Earths. Elektra: Assassin. Miracleman.  Daredevil by Miller and Mazzucchelli. "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" The Nam. Maus: Volume One.

86 has its share of failures too, particularly New Universe (though I did quite enjoy DP7 from that line.)

It also turned comics really dark. What it wrought in the years that followed was pretty awful, but from a creative standpoint it was a pretty amazing year in comics and I was 16 and 17 years old.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Shane Matlock wrote:
86 has its share of failures too, particularly New Universe (though I did quite enjoy DP7 from that line.)

I enjoyed DP7, too, although it was impossible to get hold of (I found some back issues at a car boot sale).

Kids today, eh? Almost every title available via comiXology/Amazon and a comic store on every street corner! We had to hunt for titles on our bicycles! 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie, I used to ride my bike anywhere from 10 - 20 miles to get the nearest drug store or convenience stores or grocery store hunting down that month's comics and would still miss issues. It wasn't until I had a drivers license that was able to drive to the sole comic shop in our region that getting comics each month wasn't an issue anymore (unless they sold out there, then the hunt to all the various newsstand places was back on).

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great Topic!

I was a couple of years into it and was trying and buying just about every title that DC and Marvel offered (and I could afford).

Marvel had those classic early What If? stories, Byrne and Perez runs on the Avengers were fantastic.
My favorite Defenders story; Who Remembers Scorpio?
Invaders were a never miss mag. Oh and probably my favorite Marvel Team-Up era was that JB run.

At DC I was really into the Superboy & Legion , Justice Society stories.
One of my favorite Batman stories was in '77; "Where Were You On The Night Batman Was Killed".

A fun year for me!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not only it was my high school graduation year, but it was also, in my opinion where Marvel was at it's peak.

JB was giving us great stories with the Fantastic Four (and a Galactus that NO ONE has since matched as a character), The Thing (a good complementary book to for the FF with stories that foreshadowed what was to come for Ben Grimm), Alpha Flight (great stories with Puck, Marrina, and well written origin stories).

Roger Stern gave us what was the beginning of some of the great Avenger tales. His Spiderman was on point too.

But at the time, I did not know that Walt Simonson's Thor would be a book to treasure for the ages. At this time 34 years ago, fans were 3-4 issues into the Beta-Ray Bill saga.

Alas, no knew that by the end of the calendar year, we would be subject to the moment that we started to see cracks develop in the foundation of the House of Ideas (Secret Wars).

On the DC side, Teen Titans and All-Star Squadron was always on my monthly list. Roy Thomas also gave me another good title to read with Infinity Inc.

Edited by James Johnson on 19 October 2017 at 7:58am

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Probably 1984. I was 16 (for most of the year!).

JB on the FF was easily my favorite. Alpha Flight, Simonson's Thor, the Hobgoblin story and JRJr on Spider-man. And I was just starting to read and get pulled into the world a ill-tempered grey aardvark.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

1986,for the same reasons as Shane!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, man, this is tough!! Being the old geezer that I am, I was present for the birth of the "Marvel Age", and spent about four years being blown away by just about everything I saw between 1961 and 1965. So, to adhere to the rules of the game, I will pick 1962, since that's the year I "officially" met the Fantastic Four (not counting coverless comics at the barber shop), but there is a heckuva lot of "blur" following that year.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Comics in a barber shop? I live in the wrong country. My barber shop only has MUSCLE & FITNESS and countless car magazines. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'll have to go with 1989.

A good year for comic releases in Norway; JB's Superman was still running monthly (we were always lagging a bit), and his FF was also around bi-monthly, in addition to Daredevil by Miller/Mazzuchelli and many more. 

But also this was the year we got our first comic book shop were I could buy fresh comics directly from the US. Boy, I spent a lot of money that year (and subsequent years...). 

1989 is also, incidentally, one of my absolute favourite years in music. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |