Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Your Favourite Year In Comics Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Shane Matlock wrote:
1986.  JB's Man of Steel and Incredible Hulk and the end of his FF run. (Also Legends though the art was the best thing about that one.) Squadron Supreme. Watchmen. Dark Knight Returns. Batman: Year One. Crisis on Infinite Earths. Elektra: Assassin. Miracleman.  Daredevil by Miller and Mazzucchelli. "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" The Nam. Maus: Volume One.

All this. 1986 was my second year reading comics. Throw in Ambush Bug, Swamp Thing, Stern/Buscema/Palmer on Avengers, Who's Who, The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Classic X-Men (I hated the way they butchered the stories but the John Bolton backups were gorgeous and Art Adams's covers and frontispieces were amazing). And the Mutant Massacre! Even Transformers was pretty good that year. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

1985. It's the year in the UK when Secret Wars came out and it introduced me to other Marvel Universe. I had other comics before, like Power Pack, Spider-Man, Micronauts, Superman and Alpha Flight but it was the book that got me properly hooked for a while.
Back to Top profile | search

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

For me it is 1985.

- I discovered Secret Wars.  I came in at issue 11 so I had no idea what was going on, but quickly found out some of the details from friends and the occasional back issue.
- Alpha Flight #20 was the first new comic I read and Alpha Flight quickly became my favorite monthly comic, I went to the Mac's convenience store and picked up the copy that wasn't hopefully beat up from the spinner rack. 
- Green Lantern and Superman were other biggies.  I started reading right at the end of Curt Swan's run and then Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, so I had no idea what was going on.  What a great time (no internet, it took months of hard work to figure out back stories and timelines). 

Love that era!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A vote for 1983 from me as well. It was the year I re-
discovered comics, and in particular what DC was doing.
Levitz/Giffen on the Legion and Wolfman/Perez on the
Titans at the same time? Wow!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

For me it would be 1968 running into '69. John Buscema is back at Marvel
drawing Silver Surfer series with Joe Sinnott, his brother Sal and Dan Adkins,
Sub-Mariner with Frank Giacoia and Avengers issues featuring Masters of Evil
andOnly and Android Can Cry story (inks by George Klein)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'll go with 1986, a year of transition at DC, as my childhood favorites, DC COMICS PRESENTS and 'classic' JUSTICE LEAGUE,came to an end,and this Byrne guy took over Superman. As far as Marvel was concerned, I read the Spider-Man books almost exclusively, and, after being a bit hamstrung by all the forced SECRET WARS II 'yuppie Beyonder' garbage, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN had some very good storylines, including the 'Gang War'.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'll go with 1983, when I became a regular reader of Star Wars and G.I. Joe.  Several months later I'd move on to Marvel superhero comics, and here I am. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Part of it is that it was the first year I really started getting into comics and actually getting multiple issues in a row of a series. It's also the year I "met" childhood favorites like the New Mutants, Firestorm, All-Star Squadron and Batman & the Outsiders.

But what it really came down for me was "purity". The longer you read these things, the more pre-conceived notions you have and you can get a little set in your ways as to the "right" ways to handle the characters or even how to tell stories in general. When I was looking at other years (Thanks, Mike's Amazing World of Comics!) I found many favorites, but there was also an ever increasing number of "buts."

By 1985, I had "good, bad and indifferent" moments. In 1983, it was only "good and indifferent", so it wins. :-)

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'll have to say 1980...reading X-Men #129–138 by the amazing team of Chris Claremont, JB, and Terry Austin blew my mind and made me search for any other series done by them. That same year I got a taste of Batman done by JB (his first work for DC) with The Untold Legend of the Batman #1.... inks by Jim Aparo!

Also that year - JB's first issue as writer/artist of Fantastic Four - issue  #220. (his first issue with those credits before his great run with issue #232.)

Another fond memory, DC Comics Presents #26: featuring a preview for the upcoming New Teen Titans series by Marv Wolfman and George Perez! Being a Perez fan from his Marvel days, I knew this new series would be a "can't miss"!

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 19 October 2017 at 7:35pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, in 1989 (my first year collecting superheroes), this is what I was getting every month (or almost every month):

- Superman by JB
- FF by JB
- Hulk by JB
- Wonder Woman by Pérez
- Justice League International
- Suicide Squad by Ostrander/ McDonnell
- New Teen Titans by Wolfman and Pérez (second run)
- Flash by Baron/ Guice
- Spider-Man by Stern/ Romita Jr./ DeFalco/ Frenz
- New Mutants by Claremont/ Sienkiewicz
- X-Men by Claremont/ Romita Jr.
- Dr. Strange by Stern
- Captain America by Gruenwald/ Neary
- Avengers by Stern
- Batman by Starlin
- Thor by Simonson
- Daredevil by Nocenti/ Romita Jr.

There was stuff I didn't like (Rom, Longshot, Punisher) and then there was Millennium, but come on, everything seemed so exciting!

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think I'd go with 1963.  My first issue of Fantastic Four was number 4, in mid '62, and in '63 I met Spider-man with Amazing S-M #1, and at that point, what became the Marvel Universe was on the roll and I was on board for the ride until it came to an end of sorts with Kirby's departure.  Good stuff in later decades, but by then I was an adult and it wasn't quite the same, no matter how good.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1971, for reading Kirby's Fourth World as it came out. Those comics felt wild! In fact most of the comics that come to mind from that year were DC. However the sales were, I think they'd pulled ahead of Marvel creatively then.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |