Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: OT- Classic X-Men Q Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Does anyone know if the backup stories by Claremont/ Bolton in the CLASSIC X-MEN series have been collected?
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian,

They are due to be released in an OMNIBUS format in December:

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Classic-Omnibus-Chris-Claremont /dp/1302908111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508606961&sr= 8-1&keywords=classic+x-men

Marc

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes they have. I own a copy of "X-Men Vignettes", with thirteen stories of action, excitement, and far too much introspection. :)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks fellas. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Subtitle: All the Stuff Byrne said "No" to".

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ha!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The real draw with these is the John Bolton art. JB obviously said no for a good reason. There are two different X-Men Vignettes TPBs, Brian. Vol 1 and 2. Pretty sure those collect all of the Claremont/Bolton backups from Classic X-Men. I just checked and you can get them for around 5 bucks plus shipping used on Amazon or you can wait til that Omnibus comes out. Looks like the Omnibus has a lot more backups in it with over 1000 pages.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Classic X-Men was a cool way for folks like me to get to read these back issues (which were quite expensive and not collected in a trade at the time), but they were also a "director's cut" with changed and added material. I'm sure this was done to entice fans who already had the originals to buy the new versions.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I learned early on to study the stories for the new material and try to discern the original comic. During the Cockrum issues it sometimes got tough, since he did a good job matching his earlier style, and sometimes, instead of entire pages, the edits would break some pages in half. I didn't realize the story with the leprechauns omitted an entire page where Nightcrawler disappeared in shadows until I read the Omnibus decades later. It was easier later when Kieron Dwyer was sandwiched between Byrne pages. 

Still, I'm glad Marvel found a way to include Dave in the X-Men's mega-success.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had no idea they edited or changed the original issues during those Classic X-Men reprint stories having never read the originals before then. I wish I still had those issues so I could compare them with the reprints I have that didn't make changes (outside of coloring or lack thereof in the Essentials reprint material). 

I'm picking up the Vignettes TPB's myself so thanks for the heads up with your question, Brian, as I didn't know they reprinted these before Googling them and seeing what was available on Amazon and E-bay since they were OOP. I seem to remember some of the backup stories as being rather uplifting little tales (albeit not essential as they were mostly background information), but the Bolton artwork was just so beautiful.

I'm kind of curious to read the Ann Nocenti written backups with Bolton still on art as I'd quit reading the title before Claremont quit writing those backups, though I guess I'll have to wait for the Omnibus for that.  

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB wrote:
Subtitle: All the Stuff Byrne said "No" to".

Along those lines, while Wolverine's affections for Jean were certainly well-established, IIRC Classic X-Men #1 was the first time there was any indication that Jean felt an attraction to Wolverine. Was there any back and forth between you and Chris on that notion back in the day?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Altho I had kicked around the idea of Jean and Logan getting together in my own mind -- even to the point of essaying at least one skettch of an impassioned kiss -- I felt an actual hookup would have upset the dynamic too much.

I don't recall Chris and I ever discussing it.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |