Scarlet Witch
Vision
Wonder Man
Beast

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Again, really not criticising, Shane, this is a great thread.

I knew that, Matthew. Apologies if my exclamation point made it seem like I was yelling at you. :D And thanks for saying it's a great thread. I'm glad folks have enjoyed it! I'd like to see a similar Defenders one at some point as I've been thinking about what my team of Defenders would be if someone were inclined to start one as I don't want to flood the forum with new topics.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Vision
Scarlett Witch
Hank Pym
Wasp.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

1. Captain America -- first name on my list, he is Mr Avengers to me.
2. Wasp -- there are a few character who have to be in the Avengers to feel like a proper line-up and Wasp to me is just about as essential as Cap.
3. Iron Man -- if they're going to use his mansion, he deserves a spot. And he is the Golden Avenger.
4. Giant Man -- from the get-go in compiling this team, I had Hank Pym in the back of my mind. As much as Cap is Mr Avengers to me, and Wasp is the heartbeat of the team, I sort of feel as though the Avengers is kind of Hank's team for some reason. It kind of counts against him that he's switched guise several times and that his power set is often replicated by other members. But still, he's gotta be there. And Giant Man is kind of iconic.
5. Hawkeye -- his personality adds a little spice to the mix.
6. Wonderman -- the team needs a strongman and there are plenty of good choices, of course. I give the nod to Wonderman because his origin came as part of the Avenger comic book.
7. Vision -- also hugely iconic. His presence naturally leads to...
8. Scarlet Witch -- you can't have Vision without the Scarlet Witch.

And that's my team.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I agree about Cap, Peter, as it seems most of the folks here do (though interestingly there are a few without him in their lineup). To me it feels like without Captain America, the Avengers would really lack something vital. Though if you have to have an Avengers without Captain America, like the few times he's been unavailable because he's "dead" or had to retire the shield or you have more than one team, that Hawkeye works in that role as he did when he led the West Coast Avengers. I feel like Hawkeye and Cap both can fill the role of being the "heart" and/or "conscience" of the Avengers, though Cap is a better leader as he has more experience leading than probably anyone else in comics dating back to WW2 and the Invaders. I mean, it's implicit in his name! Captain America is also my favorite Marvel character so I may be biased. Iron Man to a lesser degree than Cap or Hawkeye could and has lead Avengers teams without Captain America in it and Jan has done a fine job leading the team as well, but if I ever wrote the Avengers I'd have a hard time doing it without Captain America on the team and leading it.

I found it really interesting when John wrote West Coast Avengers how he subverted the Captain America and Hawkeye dynamic, with Hawkeye and US Agent, with Hawkeye being the grounded veteran leader and US Agent the brash argumentative hothead that Hawkeye used to be.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thor
Iron Man
Hank Pym (any identity)
Wasp
Captain America
Hawkeye
She-Hulk

I'd have pre-80s Hank, before the infamous breakdown. Wasp would be more like her mid-80s personality -- the flirty debutante is a fun character, but with only two women on the team, I'd prefer her more mature characterization. Hawkeye would be his earliest, jerkiest mode. She-Hulk in her Stern/Byrne glory.

(I've also envisioned the ultimate soap-opera Avengers team -- Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Wonder Man, Beast, and Crystal. I mean, who would ever assemble a team full of that many lovers, ex-lovers, unrequited crushes, etc.? But it would be fun to write or read.)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If I were writing the Avengers I would want full control of the characters, instead of plotting around their main titles. Yet I would want it to call back to the original Avengers. So ... cyphers. But the best ones:

Beta Ray Bill
War Machine
She-Hulk
Winter Soldier
Rick Jones in an Ant-Man suit

and later Northstar and Aurora as the mutant-sibling pair. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 22 October 2017 at 9:55pm

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Captain America
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
Ms. Marvel
Sub-Mariner
Mr. Immortal

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I keep getting distracted coming up with storylines and character bits for the various line-ups I'd like to see. So, setting all of that aside for the moment, who are the Avengers I want to see coming over the hill if I'm in trouble...?

Captain America- Not one of the originals, but so close it almost doesn't matter. He's level-headed yet imaginative, and capable of seeing the situation for what it is, what it could develop into, and how best to resolve it. Rational and fully confident without ever forgetting where he came from or why he does what he does. 
Thor- Nobility and power personified. Everything for him takes place on some operatic scale we mortals can only just begin to conceive. That he is so good-natured and duty-bound to protect frail Midgardians is a blessing. 
Iron Man- Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside... Tony Stark's fragility has been overplayed to the point of character assassination, when what should be celebrated about him is the degree to which human achievement and ingenuity have allowed him to walk with gods and turn the tide of cosmic events. Do your homework, kids. He not this good because he's a mutant or some cosmically-ordained prodigy. He's this good because he's intelligent, worked hard, and did it. 
The Vision- So screwed up by so many creators it is impossible to credit their fascination with f*cking this character over. See also: The Scarlet Witch. Let's keep it simple this time: He's the ghost. From the machine. And... go! 
The Hulk- I'd like to see the Hulk on the Avengers in a more controlled, yet not in an obnoxiously, Banner-esque, Professorial manner. I'd like to see him silent & glowering, his rage kept barely simmering just below the surface, as he reacts to his surroundings with animal cunning and only occasional bursts of savagery. How much does he really get of what's going on around him? I wouldn't underestimate him. And the same time, he probably spends about as much time on the team as Thor does, which isn't much. He spends most of his time underground in a series of miles-long caverns honeycombing the Southwest, hanging out with communities of Moloids and Lava Men.
She-Hulk- I just like the character and she's a good fit with the team, providing that level of power the Avengers demand. On the other hand, I'd rather she not become an appendage, worrying and fretting over her cousin all the time. Maybe she's in on whatever's going on with him and so doesn't worry. Or maybe they don't appear in the same issues with one another most of the time. I've thought about who else could stand in for her; Thundra or the Valkyrie, but really Jen's the one I want on the team.
Silver Surfer- Cosmic levels of power and insight along with that sense of oddness that comes with new members. If you're down and out, and the Surfer arrives alongside the others to pull you out of it, I don't see how that could fail to bring a smile.
Dominic Fortune- The team needs a wildcard and Hawkeye is too predictably that every time out. Also, the 1940's Dom would restore the "man out of time" theme that used to resonate so powerfully with Cap and was later provided by the Two-Gun Kid.
Cloak and Dagger- We'll wrap up with a pair of troubled kids, ala' Wanda and Pietro, who've been out on their own too long, and don't quite trust authority figures. Cap often heads missions with the pair and Dominic, creating an alternate "Kooky Quartet" vibe. 

Characters would wander in and out, with seven being the optimal number at any given time, and there would be hangers-on and psuedo-members in the mansion as well, as there have been in the past. Cap, Tony, and Thor would rarely all appear together, making that something to look forward to, and worth the wait when it occurs. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 October 2017 at 11:44pm

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is the group I'd like to see together.

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
The Vision
The Scarlet Witch
The Wasp
Yellow Jacket
Wonder Man
The Beast
Hawkeye
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Fels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thor
Captain America
Iron Man
Vision
Hawkeye
Yellow Jacket
Hercules
Moon Dragon
Jack of Hearts
Power Man
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Ely
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My ideal Avengers is the original five founding members:
Thor
Iron Man (in the yellow suit)
Wasp
Ant-Man
Hulk
Vision

I'd bring them back to the original team from Avengers #1, but not a reboot. 

Edited by Steven Ely on 29 October 2017 at 1:35am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |