Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 3
Topic: TV Spinoffs You May Not Have Been Aware Of Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not sure if MR T AND TINA was a spinoff of KOTTER. I think the episode of KOTTER Morita appeared in aired early in the season, just after TINA had made its debut.

Close.   "Career Day" aired Sept 23, 1976 and the first episode of TINA was broadcast on Sept 25.   Most literature refers to TINA as a spinoff and I believe Mark Evanier refers to it as such too.  That's gotta be a record for the *least* lead time between a backdoor pilot and eventual series without being a crossover. 

edit:  Now that I think of it, TINA may have aired before that KOTTER episode in some markets.

Interesting stuff about STROKES.   I wonder how the crossover and hand-off episodes fare in syndication out of context?   

ISTR quite a few 80's shows did special hand-off episodes.   The one I fondly remember was apparently one of several MAGNUM PI and SIMON AND SIMON crossover stories.    I've only recently realized the connections MAGNUM PI has to MURDER SHE WROTE and HAWAII 5-0.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 29 October 2017 at 7:34am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

... and to bring this back to the "unknown spinoffs" topic we have KOTTER's one and only spinoff, MR T AND TINA starring Pat Morita that lasted a whole month before ABC pulled the plug.

Gads... The only thing I remember about that show was the Pat Morita character's one line of "Be like an old bamboo and split!"

And I think George Takei originally played the lead role in the pilot episode...
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rob Ocelot:

Interesting stuff about STROKES.   I wonder how the crossover and hand-off episodes fare in syndication out of context?   

ISTR quite a few 80's shows did special hand-off episodes.   The one I fondly remember was apparently one of several MAGNUM PI and SIMON AND SIMON crossover stories.    I've only recently realized the connections MAGNUM PI has to MURDER SHE WROTE and HAWAII 5-0.

The 'Larry' episodes are all included with the rest of DIFF'RENT STROKES on the Starz channel, which is the current home of the reruns(all aired with the original 'DS' credits, although the end of episode writer and producer credits are in a fifferent font, for those who look for stuff like that).

Since LARRY never went into syndication/on cable in its own right, they didn't have to this, but the other series you mentioned filmed extra scenes for syndication in which some character had expository dialogue tacked on to the end of 'part 1' to either sum up for viewers what happened in the 'missing' part 2, or, if possible, just wrapped it up in a way that viewers wouldn't notice there was anything missing.They did that somehow with the Magnum/Jessica Fletcher 'team-up', as well as the Simon & Simon guest shot.
Years ago, there was a HAPPY DAYS/LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY crossover that aired in different versions in syndication, depending on whether a channel had the rights to both shows, or just HAPPY DAYS. 
The story involved Richie 'going for help' on a camping trip, because of some ridiculous 'hillbilly shotgun wedding' scene where Ralph and Potsie were getting hitched...not to each other,;-)
In the original version, Richie asked Laverne, Shirley, and their crowd, for help, and the episodes aired back to back. This was how Nick at Nite did it when they held the rights to both shows. 
Another version had a closing scene where Richie and Fonzie got home from the trip, and Richie said something like 'Well, we managed to get out of that', without mentioning how.
And I remember seeing a syndicated rerun of the L & S episode, that simply retained the 'In part one, on Happy Days...' clips voiceover, as the episode originally aired(even though the two shows' reruns aired on different stations).

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rob Ocelot, I'm sure the two Captain America movies were intended to generate interest in a series, because "The Incredible Hulk" started exactly that way.
Brian O'Neil, you reminded me of a story of a "Love Boat" story that crossed over into "Fantasy Island," with the lead character going to Fantasy Island to resolve a story begun on the "Love Boat" episode aired before it. I read that another scene was shot with the character discussing how her issue was resolved at the end of "Love Boat," so it could be aired as part of the episode in reruns. I don't remember it at all, though. Anyone else?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't actually remember the 'LB/FI' crossover, but this site explains how they actually aired two episodes of 'Island' in one night, sandwiched around a 90-minute 'Love Boat', with one character going on a cruise after leaving the island, and another character(played by Loni Anderson) needing to go to the island after a bad experience aboard the ship:

I have a vague memory of an episode of 'Charlie's Angels' in which they were trying catch a crook aboard the 'Pacific Princess'(which allowed them to focus on that story without the need for the usual 'LB' subplots). The aithor of the above site mentions that episode, but his memory is even more vague than mine(all I remembered was that it was weird seeing the ship on a night other than Saturday).

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Diff'rent Strokes" spin-off "The Facts of Life" tried at LEAST one backdoor pilot a season for the first five seasons (and was itself a backdoor pilot.)  For its final episodes, we got not one, not two but four backdoor pilots for each young woman to see if they would make it to series.  They were all pretty poorly executed - except maybe Natalie's which COULD have worked but good thing it didn't as six years later we got a similar idea in "Friends." 

Edited by Ed Aycock on 15 November 2017 at 2:54pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Supposedly, Lisa Whelchel's episode, in which Blair buys and refurbishes Eastland, was the concept that got the most consideration as a new series before the network passed on it. The series really should have been cancelled after the girls graduated from Eastland, but the ratings were too high at that point. Keeping the show going past college, and without Charlotte Rae, was a bad move.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Highlander (itself a spin off from the movies) had a spin-off called The Raven featuring McLeod's sometime love-interest, Amanda. Didn't last long. There can be only one, after all.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Does the syndicated NEW WKRP count as a spinoff or a continuation?   

Most people aren't even aware there's nearly 50 additional episodes with a mostly-new cast and even a between series "50th anniversary" clip show with new material recorded by Gordon Jump;

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

NEW WKRP is a continuation. Same setting. some of the same characters(turnover in the staff of a radio station is as much to be expected as turnover in the cast of a TV series, especially one that 'resumes' after the original run).
ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE was a title change, highlighting the show's new emphasis on Archie's doings at the bar, as his home life became less prominent.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They killed Edith off, since Jean Stapleton decided to leave.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Right. But that actually happened after the first season of  ARCHIE'S PLACE, because they talked Stapleton out of leaving in 1979, and she agreed to do one-third of the episodes for '79-80. So, all anyone really remembers of 'ABP' is Edith's offscreen death, and since it didn't have nearly as prevalent of an 'afterlife' in reruns, people think that Edith was gone as soon as they switched titles.
The last episode of 'All in the Family' had Edith being diagnosed with phlebitis, and Youtubers posted both Stapleton's last episode and the 'aftermath of Edith's death' show as if they were a two-parter...forgetting there was a full season in between,with  no mention of Edith's previous ailment.
(If Norman Lear had had his way, 'AITF' would have ended with Mike and Gloria moving away in the 1978 season finale...but Carroll O'Connor talked CBS into keeping the show going, even though Lear had decided to step away from direct involvement with his sitcoms)..

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 17 November 2017 at 3:34pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |