Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 8 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In this episode particularly, I couldn't see a lot that was happening; it made it really hard to follow.

So glad it wasn't just me. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've lost a lot of interest this season too. I didn't even see the entire finale, because I figured anything consequential would happen in the last twenty minutes or so.

The fight with Rick and Negan bothered me. Rick grabs his gun and Negan kicks him out the window, Rick rolls through and pops up seeing Negan staring at him through the window. But he doesn't take a shot. He just runs off.

I agree that Negan hasn't worked on the TV show. The actor's a talented guy but the writers haven't made it work. Honestly, I think the core characters are out of gas in general.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I may be getting ready to bail.  On paper Negan as a character is okay and Jeffrey Dean Morgan is talented but the typical sit-and-wait period followed by Negan's sudden and ridiculously-too-easy, basically unexplained escape from Rick's walker trap along with Negan's all-too-simple overpowering of the group this week was just cartoonish and unbelievable.  I liked parts of one episode I mentioned upthread but I've mainly kept watching this year out of habit because I'm 100 episodes in.  The show hasn't really done much clever or original since Sasha's death.  TWD has gone through fallow periods before (season 2 was pretty slow and bad) and recovered, so I'll probably see the rest of this season through.  But barring improvement, I may be done after the back eight.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched the mid-season finale yesterday and am also glad that it wasn't just me who had an incredibly hard time literally seeing what was going on.  It's one thing to be able to shoot actual night scenes at night instead of the old day-for-night, but it's another when it's so pitch black that it's hard to discern what is going on.  I feel that way with GOT as well.  

It's not just us either.  Several articles have been written about the literal darkening of television.  Link

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Could this modern-day "darkening" have anything to do with the fact that most LCD displays don't do as good a job with blacks and contrasts as our old non-HD CRT TVs did? Would the old day-for-night (with a darkened filter over the lens) approach work better with today's HD TV displays?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's certainly a possibility, particularly since most tvs these days seem to advertise "blacker blacks and sharper colors", etc.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought the Saviors getting out of that mass of zombies so easily was poorly handled. Also why would Daryl and the rest open a giant hole in the Savior's base for the horde to get in and then just go back to Alexandria if they were really there to "see things through." Made fork all sense to me. There have always been some pretty bad plot holes in the series but they seem to be getting worse.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Anyone returned for the ongoing grind that is The Walking Dead? The first two episodes after the mid-season hiatus have actually been fairly engaging and I like the structure of the most recent. Was at a slight loss as to why the Trash Woman suddenly started talking in a normal voice - had the rhetoric she and her followed been using part of her art? Odd.    

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've been enjoying the show all along and don't put any stock in the complaints about it.

As for Jadis, the whole Mad Max speak thing they were doing was obviously a choice they were making while building their new society much like how Ezekiel was doing his formal/faux Shakespearean stuff. With the rest of the group gone, there was no reason for her to continue playing that part. It'll be interesting to see where the character goes from here.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I thought the first ep back from the break was a chore to sit through.  I get that we have to acknowledge Carl's passing, but as the first new episode in three months leading the charge into the back eight?  It barely moved the needle an inch in terms of story. Personally, I thought it was incredibly tedious. 

Honestly?  I'm done with the entire Negan storyline.  Done.  Finished.  Kaput.  It's neither as compelling as the Governor nor as nuanced as previous seasons.  It's just tiresome to me.  I think I'm somewhat saved by watching this show as a marathon (meaning I won't be a week-to-week participant in this thread) because it plays better that way to me.  But at this stage of the game, season eight, I want a win for our team.  I'm tired of them moving incrementally forward only to encounter someone that sets them back for an entire 16 episode arc.  I honestly don't think they're any better off now than they were four seasons ago.   They could arguably be worse.  I guess what I'm saying is that they need some hope and not in the form of Carl's dream of a future where everyone gets along on a collective.  REAL hope.  

Not saying I'm done with the series, but it's wearing thin for me.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
I'm tired of them moving incrementally forward only to encounter someone that sets them back for an entire 16 episode arc.  I honestly don't think they're any better off now than they were four seasons ago.

Same here, Matt.

There has to be REAL hope. Not just in a franchise like this, but with anything.

We like to see real hope in a slasher film. Or if a good guy is getting his clock cleaned during a wrestling match. It can be small, it can be fleeting, but it has to be there.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Showrunner Scott M. Gimple said this Sunday’s season 8 finale will wrap up the past eight seasons and lead to a new phase going into Season 9.

I've gone back and forth on my loyalty to this show. After seeing some terrible episodes in Seasons 7 & 8, Maggie, Carol and Morgan's character development have kept me hanging on.

Guess we'll see how well the writers end the current "All Out War" storyline.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I have watched all the seasons and consider myself a dedicated fan (to the TV show and the comic book).  I watched the finale and I have issues.  I totally welcome other opinions and feedback, maybe I am not getting it.

SPOILERS BELOW * *

I thought the idea of a protagonist is that he is supposed to be at least a TYPE of hero.  At the end of the season, Rick and Morgan track down the guys who escaped the little chicken-wire prison and the deserters give up.  Rick gives them his word, and then later on admits that he lied to their faces and kills them all.  I am struggling with that.  Why should we care about Rick any more?  How is he better than Negan?  Or the Governor?  Or the Terminus cannibals?  He's just another guy now, with no morals.  Are we cheering for him just because he's on "our team"?  I thought the whole point was that the hero is inherently better than the villain. 

Even an anti-hero like Darryl, with his criminal background, shady friends, hillbilly brother... Darryl lets Dwight go.  That is because Darryl is a hero (even an anti-hero).  Darryl might have an anti-hero code, but what is Rick's code?  Just survive at all costs?  And if so... why do we (as an audience) care?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Honestly think Carl's death messed up Rick's character for good.

All season Rick seemed motivated to get his revenge because Negan brutally killed Abraham and Glenn.... he even told Maggie he would. He now spares Negan because of his son's wishes but I still think it's a betrayal to Maggie (AND Daryl) and the group that suffered at the hands of the Saviors.

This finale was so far from satisfying (for me) that I may NOT make it thru season 9.... this show may have just run its course.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 17 April 2018 at 9:56am

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't care if a protagonist is heroic or not, as long as they're compelling. Sweeney Todd takes out a lot of innocents along the way, after all. The question of what the new morality is in the Walking Dead universe has often been pretty interesting to me, moreso than just being 'survive at all costs.'

My problem with Rick is that we've gone down this path so many times - HAS HE GONE TOO FAR? IS THERE ANY COMING BACK FROM THE BRINK OF DESPAIR? Yeah, yeah ... plenty of ongoing stories recycle the same ideas but, to me, 'Walking Dead' doesn't seem to have anything else up its sleeve, which means it isn't compelling to me. Having him nearly kill Negan, then have him swerve everyone felt like the writers working too hard to swerve the outcome, instead of delivering a logical outcome based on what's happened until that point.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That's a good point about the swerve - I wonder if they are being "meta" by sometimes following the comic and sometimes not.  Like the writers are expecting us to watch and ask "will they follow the book... Or not?" 

Maybe up next: little kid who hangs out with Carol will befriend Negan in prison (because Carl did in the comics, but now he's gone from TV).  There are so many possibilities to write in completely new characters (that have nothing to do with the comic) and I hope they do.  

Good lord I hope we don't see farmer Rick from the prison again.  Although it would be cool to see occassional flashbacks (or visions) from the past.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Didn't see THIS coming...

Andrew (Rick Grimes) Lincoln is set to leave THE WALKING DEAD during season nine - he'll only appear in six episodes in the season. Norman Reeds was offered a considerable amount of money to take over as lead star moving forward. Signs are also pointing to Lauren Cohan leaving the show soon so the series will definitely be steering clear of the source material going forward.

-C!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

At its best TWD had some memorably powerful, visceral episodes and moments but the show was wildly inconsistent and hadn't really approached the good old days for a while. With Lincoln leaving, the departure of Morgan for FEAR THE WALKING DEAD and Lauren Cohan getting an ABC pilot greenlit, that's three of my favorite remaining characters going and likely gone.  Seeing Carol once every couple episodes ain't nearly enough to justify my love anymore so it's farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.  Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain.

Strangely, I tuned in to the FEAR premiere out of curiosity to see how they got Morgan out west and wound up rather enjoying the new characters and situations.  I don't know how the show will manage now that he's merged with the core FEAR group but for a few episodes it absolutely held my attention and it still has my interest for the moment. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |