Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: A Seth McFarlane STAR TREK Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've mentioned in the past that I am more of a casual fan when it comes to the STAR TREK franchise, but even I can see how much influence the franchise has on Seth McFarlane's THE ORVILLE. It seems also that most fans of classic TREK have welcomed the show and view it favorably.

While the series has been green-lit for a second season, I have noticed YouTube videos of fans concerned about its ratings and how long it will last. This got me to thinking, if the series did get cancelled, but noting how popular and well-received it has been with TREK fans, would it not be in Paramount's best interest to hire McFarlane to work on an official STAR TREK series or film? Even though he is known best for comedy, and THE ORVILLE is a hybrid of comedy and adventure, it shows he can tackle more serious themes if given the opportunity.

What do you guys think about an actual STAR TREK movie or TV show helmed by McFalane?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I dont know. THE ORVILLE actually sent me in the other direction, thinking that rather trying to do more STAR TREK with all its baggage, its better to have something new that captures the spirit of STAR TREK. 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I dont know. THE ORVILLE actually sent me in the other direction, thinking that rather trying to do more STAR TREK with all its baggage, its better to have something new that captures the spirit of STAR TREK. 
+++++++

This. Being unencumbered by the history, tropes, and expectations of STAR TREK is one of THE ORVILLE's greatest strengths.

Most reboots of longtime properties can't escape the long shadows of their former selves. Since THE ORVILLE is not a reboot, it doesn't have this problem. It can do TREK without the burdens of being TREK.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, but as we have seen, the "powers that be" just ignore the burden of being Star Trek.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Paramount wasn't interested at all when McFarlane previously approached him and I doubt that attitude will change anytime soon, otherwise it would be admitting they were wrong.

Two very different visions about what STAR TREK can and could be.  One doesn't appear to care much about the history and philosophy behind the toys they have to play with and the other perhaps cares a bit too much about these things but isn't allowed to play in the same sandbox.

McFarlane did the next best thing and made his own sandbox.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 18 November 2017 at 8:24am

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Most reboots of longtime properties can't escape the long shadows of their former selves.

I can't say I've seen much of this. Over the past couple of decades we have seen "reboots" of LOST IN SPACE, BATTLESTAR:GALACTICA, PLANET OF THE APES, KOJAK, IRONSIDE, THE NIGHT STALKER, THE MUNSTERS, THE FANTASTIC FOUR, SUPERMAN, BATMAN(including GOTHAM) and more, and none have born more than a superficial resemblance to the originals. Far from being unable to "escape" the originals, with each passing year we seem to see more and more filmmakers who start as far from the core property as they can get.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In terms of how these reboots are created and presented, that's certainly correct. However, I'm referring more to the weight of audience expectations. A good number of reboots/remakes with genuine merit haven't gotten a fair shake simply because of the fact that they're following up on a beloved original. After all. there are still people out there who are bitter about your own Superman reboot because it tossed out so much of the pre-CRISIS baggage.

It's not often when reboots are embraced with open arms by people who love the original iterations. TNG had a major uphill battle to face before it became successful, since so many fans had initially written it off simply because it wasn't TOS. 

STD may be a reasonably entertaining and well-produced show, but the fact that it's tossed any semblance of adherence to the established TOS canon out the window makes it an Automatic Fail, for me. If it were presented as a Generic Space Adventure instead of STAR TREK, I might have a more positive opinion of it, but the shadow that STAR TREK's legacy and continuity casts over STD creates a very different set of expectations. Expectations that THE ORVILLE does not have, since it's a blank slate, albeit one inspired by the spirit of STAR TREK. THE ORVILLE doesn't have to worry about adhering to 700 episodes' worth of prior canon.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

...audience expectations...

Which, at least in the case of superhero movies, come down to "will it be loud and flashy?"

We must keep in mind that audiences are compsed primarily of civilians, and if they look for fidelity it will be, at best, to a highly unfaithful TV show they saw as children.

And even so-called fans let the side down by racing to embrace wildly off-model version of "beloved" characters. Tim Burton's version of Batman. Bryan Singer's X-Men. Versions of Spider-Man (or "Spiderman" as the internet seems determined to make it), the Hulk, Captain America. All are embraced, even when some actually MOCK the original characters.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think a lot of that comes down to self-loathing and embarrassed fans being willing to accept anything that comes their way from the Hollywood machine, since they feel "lucky" that their beloved, nerdy properties are getting the big-screen treatment. Just look at how many fans laughed and applauded at Wolverine's "yellow spandex" line in Singer's first X-MEN film.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do I have to? I thought they could not sink any lower, but Hollywood found a way. And why not? Fans are utterly unimportant to tthe bean counters.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

if they look for fidelity it will be, at best, to a highly unfaithful TV show they saw as children
------------------------------------------------------
If the Justice League movie were faithful to Challenge of the Super-Friends, I'd be overjoyed.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Steve De Young - you win today. I wish I had a "LIKE" button to click - in fact, make that "LOVE." You got it just right and I agree completely.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

That goes for me, as well.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |