Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19
Topic: Bookstore Comic Book Display Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2022 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, I haven't been able to identify and locate a scan or such of every comic book and magazine depicted in the original 1945 photograph, but just to get an idea how the completed photo might look, I merged my color covers edit with a computer colorized version. The colors from my version are naturally accurate, since I used the pictures of those books found online (many shared here in this thread). The computer colorized version works based on some algorithm, so those colors aren't necessarily representative of the actual publications shown in the original photo.

First, here is a picture where I isolated the covers that I was able to locate (with the help of others here in this forum and on the CGC message boards), after I edited and warped them into the spot they were placed in the original version. This gives an idea of how much progress was made in locating the covers shown in the photo.

Here's how it appears on the photo I've been editing, as of my last update...

And here is the version where I merged my edit with a colorized version...

That may be the closest thing to a finished version of my edit, unless I find a few more of the covers online. It's likely impossible that every cover shown can be ID'ed and located online.

Anyway, since I did my last update, I have been contacted by a person at CGC who saw my posts on their boards. CGC wants to use my color version for a publication they are coming out with. For legal reasons, they want to cover their bases and  get a release from the owner of the original photo. This person is a friend of someone I know, whose family owned the Readmore bookstore during the period the original photo was taken. The fellow I know has been trying to contact his friend about the matter, but so far has not heard back from the person. There's no money to be had for myself or the owner of the original photo, but if that person gives consent, it'll be cool to see my color version published.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2022 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Drifting the thread a bit, but there used to be a bookstore in Philadelphia called "Reedmor Books". They closed down nearly 20 years ago, but I used to go in there all the time.

There are still some "ghost signs" for them, painted on nearby buildings Link
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2022 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, I was able to contact the gentleman that owns the original black and white photograph, and he seems to be pleased to grant his permission for the photo's use in the CGC grading guide, so it appears that my color version will be published in that publication.

Even though the photo will be printed in that guide (as the merged version I posted above in my last post), I still intend to keep hunting for the covers of the books in the original picture that I have yet to locate. Thanks again to everyone who helped identify and find some of those titles!

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 19
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |