Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Music
Topic: Post rock Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Saw this song in a "best post rock songs" list and gave it a listen. The whole "post rock" genre of modern rock music is one of my favorites. It isn't really "post rock" so much as just instrumental rock music which leaves your mind to wander all sorts of places when you're listening to it. It's dream-like, cinematic,melodic, "emo," which is just short for emotional. This song builds in emotional intensity as it goes. You can put any memory, any thought, to it and it works. I love writing to this kind of music. I would imagine it would be good to draw or paint to, too. My friend Brenton and I used to sit up all night writing this kind of music with just a guitar loaded with effects and bass. We called it movie music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9UcVIeW7g

If you like this, I suggest a few other post rock bands I enjoy, Explosions in the Sky (who have done a ton of soundtrack stuff for TV and film), God is an Astronaut, and Sunlight Ascending.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh man, do I listen to tons of stuff in this vein. Now, caveat to that statement.

Moody, building instrumental music can go under many, many sub-genres (see previous discussion in this forum), but, if we allow a spectrum for this, then we can all be introduced to some great music along the lines that Shane has started and others can add to.

Some can be more loud, some can be drifting and more to the ambient side of things.

Favourites of mine include:
This will destroy you
Robin Guthrie (ex Cocteau Twins and def on the more quiet side)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Love This Will Destroy You, James. I was joking with a friend how pretentious some of the titles of post rock songs are and how sometimes even the band's name falls into the category. 

This genre of music reminds me of the guitar instrumental stuff I used to listen to a lot back in the eighties like Joe Satriani and Vinnie Moore, although with most of the post rock bands even though they are guitar-driven bands, the guitars are more textural than showing off how great of a guitar player they are.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Textural guitars. Love them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The first "post-rock" band I remember was Tortoise. There were some magazines praising them to the high heavens in the early 2000s. I wasn't quite as entranced by them as those magazines were. I don't know whatever happened to Tortoise. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |