Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: Thing That Make No Sense About The Borg Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Plenty of spoilers in here about the Borg's numerous appearances in STAR TREK shows:

I was never a fan of the Borg Queen concept, I'll say that.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Borg adaptation. 

It was cool when they were a distant race far removed from humanity. Once they revealed they have been around for thousands of years and have been all over the galaxy, it made no sense. In all that time, the Borg have never before encountered energy weapons that fired at a particular frequency? In all that time, they’ve never encountered ballistic weapons?

I can buy they are trying to be super-efficient and don’t bother with defenses normally, but even when they are actively attacking the Federation, they seem not to bother until they are attacked. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I still smile when I recall Frank Miller grumbling about Hugh, "the cute Borg".

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

First of all, Frank Miller watched Star Trek?

As for the rest, the Borg have indeed been written very inconsistent since their creation.
Now I don't mind that the writers added that the Borg also assimilate the members of a civilization that the Borg have targeted, to me it makes them more awesome and scarier, but a lot of the changes that have been done to them during and after First Contact only worked to the detriment of the concept.

I also think there should never have been a queen and I think it was only introduced because the writers probably thought that movie audience which probably would include people who did not watch TNG on a regular basis or only sporadically would need to see a "villain" the Borg because the idea of an enemy without a central leadership would be to strange or hard to imagine for them.

And it is indeed weird that every time that Starfleet encountered the Borg that their phasers are still effective at the start.
I assume that a lot of species that uses direct energy weapons may perhaps use them at frequencies or configurations that are unique but at some point there would be some overlay (not sure if that is the right word), rendering weapons of other civilizations useless the first time they use it.

And yeah, it is a bit far fetched that the Borg never encountered ballistic weapons that were used against them.

I still like them though but they are no longer the powerful and mysterious enemy that they once were in "Q Who" and "The Best of Both Worlds",

Pretty sure that they will be the next iconic Star Trek species re imagined by new writers. (Mike Johnson already did so in Boldly Going and it was clear that he did not understand the Borg or barely watched any episode with them. Borg ignoring ships that attack them or just threaten their crews before going away, Borg drones referring to themselves as individuals and using speech to exchange information, the Borg never adapting to the weapons of their enemies, the Borg apparently assimilating for the sake of assimilation and no longer for technology, oh and human/Vulcan hybrids are now harder to assimilate forcing the Borg to play mind games)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What I really want is an IDW/Marvel crossover where Galactus encounters The Borg! 

(I realize that is definitely a case, if I was a comic writer, where the "first story you'd do as a fan should be the last story you'd do as a pro" rule would apply!).

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Seen often on the Web.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Uhm...... No.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jesus! I was joking, never expected anyone would have done that! 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have come to realize that in general crossovers are the bane of comic books, especially of two different franchises.

Rarely have I seen it being done well, acceptable at best, and average or terrible in general.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 05 December 2017 at 3:34pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have to say I enjoyed the STAR TREK/PLANET OF THE APES crossover.

I didn't think it would work. Yet for me, it did. I felt it respected both franchises. And the ending...wow! 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I found it rather fan wank to be honest, but then again that was the idea behind it.

Also a couple of plot holes that never got answered such as how the Klingons were able to create a wormhole or rift that led to the Planet of the Apes Universe.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ROBBIE PARRY: Jesus! I was joking, never expected anyone would have done that! 

You're really not gonna like Rule 34.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |