Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Does not compute... illogical...!"

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I came across this Tarantino interview several months ago, in which he discusses what he'd like to see in a TREK film:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's almost not surprising.  "Yesterday's' Enterprise" is surely one of the best episodes from any iteration and its altered timeline conceit was appropriated for the first JJ movie, which I actually thought had promise, unlike 90% of what has come since.  However, while some might suggest doing this episode could be a road back to the "real" timeline, honestly the patient is already far too gone and talented but iconoclastic rebel Tarantino would be a crazy choice to direct a Star Trek.  This smells like a Hail Mary to try to bring some buzz back to a commercially waning franchise.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Of course. Abrams alone could not get far enough away from the heart of STAR TREK.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I could see some real benefit to this, and I say that without much liking QT.  For starters, I bet he'd do away with overuse of CGI and there'd be a lot more practical effects.  I actually think he'd try to hew closer to the spirit of TOS than Abrams.  On the downside, he doesn't know how to disengage his ironic distance, and it means we'd likely be in for another adventure Trek rather than something with a more genuine SF heart.

I'd give it 50/50 odds - it's either going to be surprisingly good, or a depressing train wreck.  There won't be a middle ground.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Tarantino directed a two-part CSI a dozen years ago which I thought straddled the fine line between his utilizing his cinematic directing quirks and his being able to 'paint inside the lines' of an established procedure series and adhering to it's continuity. At this point, I'd trust Tarantino over Abrams' stable of friends and acquaintences. At the very least, he sounds like he's actually watched (and liked) TOS, as opposed to someone who tried to make TOS into Star Wars. 

({shrug} Might even get some variety in the soundtrack besides the same Beastie Boys song over and over.)

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“You know what they call a Big Mac in the Gamma Quadrant?”

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It’s going to be R rated.

Well, that’s that then

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"....AND YOU SHALL KNOW THEIR NAME IS THE BORG!"

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I love Tarantino's movies but I was not sure he was the right fit for Star Trek. I decided that I would take a wait and see attitude but with the announcement of it getting an R rating I am less inclined to be generous.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As far as I'm concerned, the last gasp of anything remotely resembling real TREK was when ENTERPRISE ended in 2005.

After that, we got the first Abrams film, which represented traditional TREK--deemed stale and unprofitable--being taken away from its core audience, dumbed-down, and actioned-up/sexed-up so as to pander to the masses.

DISCOVERY has followed suit, with f-bombs, Klingon nudity/sex, and a focus on flashy effects and action/violence.

This news therefore comes as no surprise, given where TREK has gone over the past decade. I don't see STAR TREK ever coming back to us in a recognizable form. At least, not until it's been twisted, perverted, and finally milked dry, then lain dormant for many years.

That all being said, Tarantino is TREK fan and a solid writer, and many very well bring some interesting ideas to the table. It all depends on tone and style. The "R" rating is a red flag, though.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Screw the prime directive, I'm going primeval on yo' ass!"

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

...of course, Samuel L. Jackson will have a prominent role...........

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

James Johnson: ...of course, Samuel L. Jackson will have a prominent role...........

Now that I wouldn't mind! (Assuming, of course, he wasn't wearing such heavy makeup that you couldn't even tell it was him, as with Idris Elba in Beyond.)

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"..I have had it with these Mother-Fuckin' Trebbles on this Mother-Fuckin' starship!!!......"

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Now Patrick Stewart wants in on a piece of the action:

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Stewart just sees an opportunity to finally get Picard laid.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

As far as I'm concerned, the last gasp of anything remotely resembling real TREK was when ENTERPRISE ended in 2005.

•••

And even that echoed the trial of Pope Formosus, when they dug up his corpse and dressed him in his robes of office.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yep.

That being said, there were still people working on the Berman-era shows who at least had some understanding of the tone, spirit, and ideals of TREK, even if their execution of it was less-than-stellar. ENTERPRISE tried to tackle social issues in thoughtful ways, was mostly appropriate for all-ages, and was primarily about exploration (aside from its third season), rather than war and explosions.

The break from ENTERPRISE to Abrams marks to transition of STAR TREK from people who genuinely cared about it to people who didn't understand it, just wanted to make money off of the name, and reshaped it for "modern" sensibilities.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 09 December 2017 at 11:25am

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

STAR TREK has undergone that most sad and frustrating of transformations -- the name has become generic. Even to the point that we get add-ons like "INTO DARKNESS" and "BEYOND" tacked on, missing the point that "STAR TREK" is a complete sentence.

As I noted before, "STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS" is like "LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT TO THE GROCERY STORE".

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Would you go see a Disney movie directed by Sam Pekinpah?

edit: 

In all honesty I think if they are considering Tarantino having a crack at STAR TREK then I think the franchise has pretty much hit the bottom of the barrel.   Not that I dislike Quentin as a writer/director -- in fact I love his films but there's certain expectations associated with his work that I think don't ring true for STAR TREK.   I can just see the bean counters rubbing their hands greedily as they think Tarantino will bring money and bums in seats.  The Abrams approach petered out after one outing and limped on for two more.  I suspect a Tarantino TREK would fare about the same.  

Making STAR TREK 'cool' for the generation that learned to swear before they were born and who can't put down their cell phones is the wrong way to go.  

Good stories told in ways that are true to the characters in them are timeless.   Explosions, high fives, fist bumps, and loud Beastie Boys songs are a little less timeless. :-)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 11 December 2017 at 9:19pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |