Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Favourite Team Sport Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't mean to jab a pejorative finger. I think there are big benefits competitively to the way major league sport works in N America, but it does, more often than not, mean for a case of apple vs oranges when you try to compare sports either sides of the Atlantic.
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd have to say NFL football because it's only once a week per team and the excitement builds up over the course of the week. I love the other sports as well, but it's nice to only have to sit down and watch once a week. It's also great because it's a great spectacle to watch on television.
NBA is great but they let my Sonics move and I haven't watched a game since. I also hate that the last two minutes seem to drag on forever. 
MLB is fun if your team is doing well, but if your team isn't doing well there's nothing worse than watching 3 hours of baseball only to watch your team blow it in the 9th inning and lose. I do love to head to a game every now and then just to have fun in Seattle and enjoy the atmosphere.
NHL isn't really on my radar, but Seattle is getting a team soon, so we shall see if it peaks my interest.
I will end with soccer and it's growing interest with me over the last 11 years or so. It started with the 2006 World Cup and has grown. The Sounders do well and I've learned to appreciate the finer points of the game and love the two hour window for the most part. I like that it keeps moving and all the near misses that has the excitement flowing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Baseball used to be my favorite sport, but the steroid era killed that. I sat in front of the tv cheering on McGwire and Sosa in the chase for the season home run record, and now I regret it. Them turning out to be cheaters was bad enough, but my favorite pitcher was Roger Clemens, and he turned out to be a PED user, too. And lied about it. And sorry Barry Bonds, but Hank Aaron is still the all-time home run leader, as far as I'm concerned. (Roger Maris, too) Too many things about Bonds don't add up.

As I said, American Football is easily my favorite team sport. I like both college and the NFL, but there things frustrating about both: I'm sick of seeing the same teams in the playoffs or championship game every year. In college I think it's crap that a team can lose their conference championship, yet still play for (let alone win) the national championship. In the NFL, I'm tired of the organization being run by an arbitrary moron who was just given a contract extension by the owners despite most fans despising him. The Ezekiel Elliott suspension was pure bs because the whole situation was beyond shady, and Ndomukong Suh is so damn dirty that he should have been thrown out of the league already.

I haven't been able to get back into basketball like I used to be, but I still keep up with it, somewhat. I just don't watch games. (I went to a college game earlier this season, and that was the first game I've watched at all in a couple of years!)

And I just plain do not like Hockey or Soccer. Don't hate them, but they're just not my thing. Hockey fights are more exciting the actual game. (But I'd rather watch either of those sports than Golf any day!)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Baseball for me. I would watch any baseball game (except if the Cardinals are playing) before any other sport.
But in the last few years I've become enamored of Premier League Football. I'm curious whether some of our UK members are fans, and who their teams are.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Aston Villa for me, Jim. Lifelong fan!

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

my wife and I are big Man U fans, not quite sure how we got hooked on them. We also watched Newcastle before they were relegated, now it's just too painful.
I don't know much about Aston Villa, Robbie. Are they perpetually in the middle of the table?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Aston Villa are in the Championship, the second-highest league in the English football league system.

They are currently in third place.

I want them back in the Premier League! 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm a lifelong fan of Southampton FC. When I started supporting, Peter Shilton was the goalie and FA cup-winner Nick Holmes was still in the side.

The last few years have been quite good to the Saints, but we are flirting with disaster this season.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Peter Shilton, along with Chris Woods, was one of my favourite goalkeepers. I was always rooting for them.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I saw Chris Woods play for England at the old Wembley against the old Yugoslavia, not long after the 1986 world cup. Gary Lineker was on the cover of the programme holding his golden boot!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I must Google Shilton and Woods, see what they are up to (obviously not playing, unless they've discovered the Fountain of Youth).

I always felt goalkeeping was an underrated "art". Not sure they have ever quite got the same respect as, say, strikers. 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My answer to the original question would be football (Association Football or Soccer if you prefer!).

My Dad's family were from Liverpool so, although I grew up in South London (from the age of four), he made sure I followed the family tradition of supporting Everton. A founder member of the Football League in 1888, Everton have spent more seasons in the top-flight of English football than any other team. I believe Everton v Aston Villa is still the most-played fixture, the teams meeting for the 200th time in 2015.

There's an interesting bit of history behind one of the major rivalries in English Football, Everton and Liverpool. Although Liverpool have eclipsed Everton since the 1970s, they owe their existence to a dispute between the Toffees and their chairman. Everton played at Anfield from 1884 - 1892, a ground owned by club chairman John Houlding. A number of disputes, including one over the rent paid, led to a parting of the ways and Everton moved to their current ground, Goodison Park. Houlding, faced with an empty stadium, formed a new team called Liverpool who would be based there.

So if Everton had paid the rent all those years ago, one of the most successful English teams might never have existed!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I didn't know that, Robbie. Fascinating.

Makes you wonder about all sorts of facts, eh? Aston Villa were originally a cricket team who formed a football team so they could have a sport to play during the winter.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Football and the US version of our great game. ;)

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

American Football.

NFL (Ravens season ticket holder), watch college (at all levels) and go to watch an occasional high-school game at least once a season

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

NFL American Football.  Love everything about it.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |