Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: That’s nice Kevin, but what about the FF!?!?!?!? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2017 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If you ask me, a cast that includes the roster from Giant Size X-Men #1 
would work well. Plenty of diversity, and many familiar faces both to 
civilians and long-time fans.

The plot could even loosely be based on that book; perhaps do a 
prologue with the originals that ends with them being 
incapacitated/kidnapped, leading Professor X to assemble the new 
team and go from there.

Yeah, it relegates the original team to second-tier status/cameos, but 
we've also had several earlier films (albeit flawed ones) featuring those 
characters, whereas some of the Giant Size folks would be seeing 
leading role status for the first time.

Edited by Philip Obaza on 30 December 2017 at 10:43pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Detailed origin stories are a relatively new idea. Go back to the beginnings of many TV shows from the Fifties and Sixties, and find that the audience was introduced to the characters already in place. Sitcom or drama, it was the same. And in comics, origins were something to get out of the way as quickly as possible. Batman didn't even have an origin, for a while.

The X-Men were the same. Stan and Jack used the arrival of Jean Grey to bring readers into the book, but the other team members were already in place. Their origins came later.

In movie form, the X-Men have been around long enough for audiences to know what to expect. Worry less about where they started, and more about where they are.

Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think they could do Giant-SizeX-Men #1. Spend the first quarter of the movie with Professor X gathering each new member while having the original five's background story told in flashback up to the point that Krakoa captures them. It's not exactly like the comic since Beast isn't an Avenger in the movies and it may be too much to introduce Polaris and Havok but it's still closer to the source than anything Simon Kinberg has introduced in the movies.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And SMOKING!!!!

I was watching an episode of the original Twilight Zone the other night and it was set in a US Navy sub and I was amazed at how everyone was smoking. In a submarine! I Googled it and found out they didn't even ban smoking in US submarines until like 2010 which is kind of amazing since my backwater hometown banned smoking in public businesses in 2007. Like airplanes, it doesn't seem like a submarine that you are having to pump oxygen into is the best environment to light up in, but people did. Like chimneys.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think they could do Giant-SizeX-Men #1. Spend the first quarter of the movie with Professor X gathering each new member while having the original five's background story told in flashback up to the point that Krakoa captures them.

••

I think you're forgetting that you are dealing with a two part audience. One half has seen the previous X-Movies, and so thinks it knows all the "background", while the other half doesn't want to spend half an hour being introduced to these characters.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good point. A team of X-Men consisting of the group during the Proteus storyline would be cool. Add Kitty and Rogue to it later. Of course, that lineup would catch flack for not being diverse enough.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't think movie fans will have too much trouble reconciling past X-Men film continuity with the MCU. The Fox films are less compatible with each other than with the Marvel Studios movies.  Each film has sported an almost random assortment of character names and even with the cautionary example of 30 years of storytelling incoherence in the comics they still introduced time travel and weirded everything up even more. Audiences are used to just accepting what comes. As long as there's a school and a bald guy they'll be okay.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

ENOUGH WITH THE ORIGIN STORIES!

This first movie should introduce the superhero character, a little backstory, and mostly highlight why the character is WORTH a movie. I can't think of any characters where the origin is so critical to the character that it cannot wait until the second movie. Possibly the Hulk... and as we saw from the MCU Hulk movie, it was handled under the credits.

The producers had an interesting way to do it with Wolverine - "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", both with and without the article. If the character is interesting enough, then an origin movie should be even MORE interesting, and should get the houses.

The vast majority of comics that I can think of do have an origin for the characters or teams in the first issue, but movies aren't comic books. You get your two hours, and no reviewing it after the fact (well, unless the viewer sees it again - and pays the same amount to see it again.) Would comic books be so interesting If you had to buy them every time you wanted to reread them?

And has been pointed out wisely in previous observations... very often, the origin is just "Christopher and Anne Summers have some wine, watch a romantic movie, and go to their bedroom..." That MIGHT make an interesting movie, I grant you, but not quite the super hero type. :)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The original X-Men trilogy doesn't really feature an origin, does it? Sure, we see the Rogue's story but that is really to serve as a way to give us the audience and "in" to the team as much as it is to introduce here. (The later films, such as the first solo Wolverine feature and First Class do take us back though, so if the franchise wasn't already a mess this pretty much sealed it.)

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd suggest that Marvel Studios wait for a while -- three years? -- to do anything at all with the X-Men. Then re-introduce them.

Fix the FF first. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |