Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Comics’ New Universe Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think I bought the The Pitt  and flipped through a few New Universe books on the stand. None grabbed me. "Kickers Inc" was a real WTF??? for me. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I bought Star Brand for quite a few issues. Long enough to be reading when JB took over. I quite liked it.

I think I read the first couple of issues of Psi-Force and Spitfire and the Troubleshooters also, and enjoyed those fairly well. Just not enough to keep buying them over regular Marvel titles though.
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I loved D.P.7. The first issue came out at the end of the first summer I discovered comics, and I picked it up from the spinner rack because the cover looked so different from everything else on sale, but more than any other reason, I bought it, because in leafing through the pages, I noticed that it took place in my home state of Wisconsin.  Needless to say, I took it home and loved it, and it quickly became the comic I looked forward to more than any other each month.
At first, I expected the characters to become superheroes, and I was a bit disappointed that they never came down to my corner of the state, but when I realized that neither were ever likely to happen, I realized what it was that I was enjoying so much about the story- it was radically different, in just about every way, from everything else I was reading at the time.
To me, the first three issues were the best of the series.  Issues four through thirteen were still excellent.  Fourteen through seventeen were still very strong, but lacked the suspense and drama of the earlier issues.  None of the issues from eighteen to thirty-two would have hooked me the way the earlier issues did, had anyone of them been my first issue, but by the time they were released, I was fully invested in the characters, and invested in the storyline.  It broke my heart when the series was canceled.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Out of the New Universe books, I only liked 4 of them (which were the 4 books that Marvel kept when they canceled half the books). Those 4 books were DP7,Psi-Force,Justice, and Star Brand. T would recommend reading the entire DP7 series,the entire Star Brand series,Justice from issue 16 to it's cancellation,and the entire Psi-Force series (especially from issue 16 to it's cancellation).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Some of the "New Universe" titles are available as trades. Really pondering whether to revisit them, for as much historical curiosity as anything else.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As best I can recall, I stuck with Star Brand and Justice for about the first year, and maybe also DP7. None of the other titles grabbed me.

For good or ill, the era of the New Universe coincided with my early teens, when my interest shifted to other things and I quit reading comics for a while. In the years since, I've gone back and read a lot of what I missed in the eighties, but I've never felt any interest in revisiting the NU.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Never bought one. The premise, to me, was, "Hey, we're doing another universe of heroes and it'll be JUST LIKE Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four and the Hulk and Thor and Iron Man and..." as a sales ploy. My comment was, "There's already a universe like that. It's called the Marvel Universe. And does Shooter REALLY think he'll catch lightning in a bottle AGAIN?"

And of course, he didn't. It was a gimmick as far as I could see.

As for the world outside my window... I live in the universe outside my window (except usually INSIDE...) Nobody would want to pay two cents for THAT story, whether I have super powers or not. SUPER heroes have SUPER adventures. Seems that Shooter didn't know what "super" meant.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

D.P. 7 appealed to me because, firstly, I thought the name sounded good (there was a certain mystique, what did D.P. stand for?, what was 7 about?, etc.).

The big, hulking guy punching that orange guy made out of energy, with those spectral-like beings being present, was intriguing enough for me to pick it up.

Like I said, though, not sure whether it'd live up to the nostalgia.

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I recall enjoying Justice, Mark Hazard: Merc, and Nightmask, at least initially.  The others didn't grab my attention, as I recall, although I think I bought all of the first issues.  It was certainly an odd duck and I recall wondering when it would merge with the main Marvel Universe.  

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Apart from the constant recaps (a probable editorial requisite), I'm quite fond of JB's Star Brand run. Particulalry the one with the X-Men lookalikes. Fun on several layers.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I tried the NU and only stuck with Star Brand and DP7. They had some promise. That said, it's hard to consider them much beyond a failed publishing experiment.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All the weird and different comics that Marvel and DC put out there in the 80's and 90's, stuff like NU or ROM for example, I always read it once and never came back to it. It did not fit my super-hero centered tastes. Even that post-crisis Flash run with Jackson Guice doing that artwork. The weaker Wally was a huge turn off for me.

Nowadays I get myself thinking of them once in a while, and considering the prospect of reading them again to see if my perception would be any different.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |