Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Why secret identities must be secret Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Secret identities are less and less secret in films and TV series these days. But a few weeks ago I read Amazing Spider-man #71 (1969) and in the letters section I found this gem: 

"And thanks for writing to us, Bruce. But the point we think you missed is . . . if Spidey (or any other hero with a secret identity) decided to share his secret with somebody, the danger does not lie in the fact that that person may spill the beans . . . but the fact that one more person's life is in jeopardy because of that knowledge. What we're trying to say is . . . if one guy has a secret, the responsibility is to himself only. If he shares that secret, he is putting that other guy's life in danger. So you see, Spidey's reasons are not motivated by fear of exposure, but fear for the life of somebody close to him! Clear enough, pal?"
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Secret identities are also more fun, especially for kids. Among other things, it keys into a child's role-playing of an empowered grown-up.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Unfortunately, in the last few decades we have seen the superhero paradigm fall into the hands of those who cannot imagine power without profit. Who cast themselves as the characters, and think of what they would do if so endowed.

And that comes down to making oneself rich and famous. The lesson of Spider-Man is lost on them.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In the MCU the idea seems to be that all the Avengers have public identities because the federal government requires them to have public identities. (Aside from Thor, for whom the idea doesn't apply -- no Don Blake, not even Sigurd Jarlson.)

I wouldn't want to be Bruce Banner in that type of situation, considering that the Hulk is, in fact, dangerous. Could lead to serious fear on the part of the public.

I preferred the pretense that Iron Man was merely one of Tony Stark's employees. It made him more "anonymous." 

At least Spider-Man's identity is still secret, as is Daredevil's.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are plenty of good reasons for secret identities. It doesn't mean that every super hero needs one.

But it's been part of the genre of comics for EIGHTY years. Maybe that's a tradition worth keeping... same as the one that heroes don't kill, although that one has changed a bit of eight decades, granted. (At the beginning, Superman and Batman were known to kill... and then they didn't.)

One of the biggest reasons for secret identities is that so few super heroes actually started out as their super selves. The exceptions are such as Superman, Thor, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the X-Men (all of whom have perfectly fine other reasons to have secret IDs.) 

I cannot think of very many heroes who gained powers without remarkable permanent  physical changes who decided to stop being the "selves" they had been for all of their lives. Maybe most of the Fantastic Four? But even they continued being Reed Richards, Sue Storm, and Johnny Storm - it just wasn't a secret. But Johnny was shown to try having a secret identity (which failed completely, granted.) 

But being Hal Jordan or Matt Murdock for twenty-odd years doesn't suddenly stop; those lives go on, regardless of other changes. To put it another way... your Aunt Maddy didn't change because she had to start using a wheelchair all the time. She was still Aunt Maddy, not "Wheelchair Woman."

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For me, the rule is very simple: If the super-hero wears a mask, he has a secret identity; if not, then no.  (As always, Superman and Wonder Woman can be the exceptions to the second half of this rule.)

If somebody like Green Arrow or Daredevil gets "outed," then stop wearing the restrictive mask!  But, preferably, all writers and editors should resist the temptation to "stir things up" by revealing the identity of the masked hero they are (temporarily) working on.

The cinematic Iron Man is the best example of this issue.  He outed himself at the end of the first movie--which seems to have led to his comic book counterpart doing the same--and then as early as IRON MAN III had his Malibu home destroyed by missiles, almost killing him, the woman he loves, and a bystander!

A smart super-hero, who regularly makes enemies of homicidal super-beings, should never reveal his identity--it's just not smart!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

FWIW, I’ve always felt that the burden of maintaining a secret identity
worked to “even the odds,” in a manner of speaking. Since the identity
of many bad guys was known, the heroes need to protect their own
identity put them at a disadvantage in this regard.

How do you keep the omnipotent superhero at bay? Threaten to
expose him!

Edited by Michael Hogan on 14 December 2017 at 7:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"If the super-hero wears a mask, he has a secret identity"
-----
Or he's an Inhuman.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's an interesting case.  Somehow, the masks look royal on the Inhumans...an effect I don't recall seeing anywhere else.  (Though, in effect, the full-face mask doesn't hurt the royal Black Panther either.)

Capes also are something shared by royals and supers.  Sort of blurs the line on these individuals who we raise up as better than "normal folk."

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember a Justice League run a while back, possibly by Brad Meltzer, where the heroes kept calling each other "Clark", "Bruce" and etc even while in uniform and out in the field. Annoyed the hell out of me. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |