Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Alpha Flight Question for JB: Guardian on Ganymede Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I agree, Jason. I know it's not JB's favorite thing he ever did, but it's one of mine, just below his FF stuff which ranks as my favorite. Though he hasn't done anything I haven't liked from the art on the first comic of his I bought (Avengers #181) to all of his IDW stuff, particulary The High Ways which was my favorite of the IDW stuff. I really miss seeing his art on the comic racks but I'm thankful to be getting some of the best Star Trek stories since the second season of the original series. When it comes to science fiction comics, there isn't a writer or artist alive I think that holds a candle to John Byrne. He draws/designs the best space ships in comics period. I think that's one of the reasons why his FF stuff is so good too (other than being the most faithful to Stan and Jack's vision), even though it's a super hero book there is a huge science fiction element to it. Even Alpha Flight which has a lot of mystical and mythical stuff in it like you mentioned, is still grounded with some great sci fi elements like Guardian's suit, the Master of the World, and plenty of that Byrne machinery that he does so amazingly well.

I just reread the first appearances of Guardian and Alpha Flight from the Claremont/Byrne/Austin Uncanny X-Men in the X-Men/Alpha Flight tpb earlier tonight. Such gorgeous artwork, and as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, I absolutely love JB's costume designs for Alpha Flight. They're simple yet visually interesting and there's a kind of motif to them without them all looking the same. I think that Guardian and Aurora and Northstar and Snowbird's costumes are some of my favorite costumes in comics, especially Guardian's. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As I have noted before, there is a degree of irony in Guardian's costume turning out to be one of my best, since I so disliked the Canadian flag when the new design was introduced in my early teens.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |