Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Black Lightning Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Somebody mentioned (I can't find where or when) that Tony Isabella gave BL electric powers in the original series run (I think the person said issue #10).

Natural powers?  I don't remember that.  I thought it was always an electric device until much later.  It's been a long time since I read the originals, but I don't recall that.  (They released a collected edition a few months ago, but I always wait until I can get these for half price at a con.)

I did just see that they released the SECOND collection of BL stories--mostly team-ups (Superman, Batman, the JLA) and his back-up feature in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS.  I looked all through that book and I didn't see him use his powers once--not even from an electrical device!  He was treated as a completely powerless vigilante crimefighter.

With so many on this thread asking for a STATIC show, I think that's even more proof that BL should not have actual powers.  With in-body powers, BL and Static look like practically the same character, just different ages.  I'm sure there are some younger fans out there wondering if BL is just Static grown up or--worse yet--that Static is the original and BL is the copy!  (Shades of THE INCREDIBLES!)

I suppose that may be why DC prefers the older BL, father of two--just to push him farther away from the (previously) more popular and well-known Static.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didn't think I would like Black lightning but what can I say, it think it's been
pretty darn good. Doesn't mean we can't have static too. I would be surprised
if we don't see a version appear either on BL or another show soon.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eric J., that was this Eric who commented on Black Lightning getting powers naturally from his costume. He originally had them from the outfit by Peter Gambi; but Gambi designed the power belt to transfer the powers into Black Lightning himself. Maybe this was revealed in B.L. #7? Sadly, there's no DC Showcase Presents for Black Lightning...

If I said issue #10, I was slightly off; the series ran 11 issues. After B.L. was cancelled, the Black Lightning strip continued (backup in World's Finest, maybe?)

I might be misremembering (ALWAYS a possibility with me!) but I'm pretty sure that's how it turned out...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |