Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: What’s next....again? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So it was announced that Murphy Brown will be another TV show brought back with the return of Candice Bergen (the other starts are in talks to reprise their rolls). This follows Will and Grace, Roseanne and possible other TV shows in talks to come back (Mad About You).

History of TV:
-original shows
-spin offs
-return of cancelled show's cast for TV specials
-a mixture of original shows, spin offs and reboots of prior shows
-return of original shows with original casts

Now, I know that the last one isn't necessarily a new idea in that back in the 80's (with the introduction of syndicated TV shows) there were some shows that brought back the original casts, continuing those characters' stories (i.e. What's Happening Now and WKRP to name a couple), but now it seems like this is the "go to" idea for today's TV. Is it because creating new characters and stories can't be done or are too challenging to do, so it is easier to go back to familiar ideas? What are your thoughts on this trend?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's a new method of making everything old seem new again, which is a proven formula for success. In this case, there's a ton of goodwill and familiarity built around these shows, and the audiences that loved them once upon a time will hopefully love them all over again.

There's never a paucity of new ideas and talented young people willing to put it all on the line to make these new ideas work. What's almost always lacking is the backbone of the moneymen who would rather bank on a trend that seems to be paying off at the moment. Something that's made money before will seemingly always be preferable to something that hasn't yet.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When a show is too dated to make money in reruns...revive it.
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There is a lot of 90's nostalgia in popular culture these days as most of the people who were growing up in that era are now adults working in the field and comprise that desirable demographic advertisers are looking for. While not all revivals are worth it, some are doing quite well with viewers and that has resulted in the inevitable green light being given to many other attempts as studios and networks rush to get on the bandwagon.

As for Murphy Brown, I always loved that show and am interested in seeing more. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

They keep bringing back shows I think are crap though.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's also worth noting that many of these shows are giving star billing to actors and actresses who, until very recently, could not have had much hope for central roles in traditionally ageist show business. Who would launch a situation comedy about a surly seventy-something journalist with a long and storied career in the industry? But as a returning show, the concept has instant traction and appeal.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There's only ONE show I've ever wanted brought back, and only for a reunion movie. Not reigniting the series.

MAGNUM, P.I.

Sadly, it would have to end up being about Magnum coming out of retirement to investigate Higgins' murder. And of course, they would have to do it in a way that still doesn't explain (at least to the audience) if Higgins was or was not Robin Masters.

But I am going to watch the ROSEANNE revival.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now, I know that the last one isn't necessarily a new idea in that back in
the 80's (with the introduction of syndicated TV shows) there were
some shows that brought back the original casts, continuing those
characters' stories (i.e. What's Happening Now and WKRP to name a
couple), but now it seems like this is the "go to" idea for today's TV.

——

The Perry Mason and Columbo TV movies, New Leave It to Beaver,
The Bradys, Mission: Impossible, Get Smart...

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I much prefer the idea of picking up the lives of favourite characters than rebooting series altogether. In fact, before the recent trend began, I used to think it would be a very good thing to do. For instance, there was a 60s TV show I use to enjoy called Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) about two private detectives, one of whom happened to be a ghost. I used to think it would be great to come back and rejoin that show, not as a 'reunion movie' but for an actual series that would just pick up ten years later and go on from there (ironically, the death of the actor who played the living partner on the show scuppered that idea). Eventually R&H(D) was remade by the BBC and it was ... not good. But, I digress. Yes, I'm onboard with these revisits. As I said, better than a reboot.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"I much prefer the idea of picking up the lives of favourite characters than rebooting series altogether."

Me too. I've been enjoying The X-Files the last couple of seasons.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mr. Floyd gets it. 

( Magnum, not Rosanne)

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It would be cool if Seinfeld made a comeback.  After all, Jerry chose to end it -- it wasn't because of poor ratings.

Now, I know there was a reunion of sorts during a season of Larry David's "Curb your Enthusiasm" but it really wasn't the same.  I'd like to see this if for no other reason than to quickly explain away the awful finale to the series.  (I liked how Will and Grace dismissed their original finale at the start of their revival series).

I know the cast has dismissed this numerous times, but I'd be happy with a "Friends" comeback, though maybe it would work best as a one-time special - e.g. "Where are they now".

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I really think Friends would be better off left alone.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

What does it matter if a show returns?  THE SIMPSONS has been on the air for 29 years, SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE for 43 years, DR. WHO started 55 years ago!  Do I want 500 episodes of WILL & GRACE in existence?  No, but it's fun to see them in 2018.  It's great to get a few new episodes of X-FILES!

Most of these are American classics (even if I never watched ROSEANNE) and if the cast and creative crew are available, why not?

I much prefer revivals to reboots.  I've said it before--I was disappointed that MACGYVER and HAWAII FIVE-O rebooted the characters when they easily could have been the sons of the originals.  I wish the continuations of CHARLIE'S ANGELS and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE from a decade or two ago had been better and lasted longer.  Like SUPERMAN, BATMAN, SPIDER-MAN and quite a few other comics, some characters or concepts deserve to just keep on going (even if there was a long hiatus for some of them).

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It would be cool if Seinfeld made a comeback.

I'm not so sure I want to see them post-prison sentence, TBH.   Not that it was a good way IMO to end the series but I think reviving it would just be continuing to kick at a beehive that probably shouldn't be messed with.

Commuting their sentence or giving them a pardon also kind of robs the ending of it's impact.   

Kind of funny that we talk of giving shows that had basically run their course a second kick at the can yet somehow we can't manage to give something like FIREFLY a proper chance.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Looks like MAGNUM P.I. is coming back. Crazy

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

What?!?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

CBS ordered pilots for CAGNEY & LACEY and MAGNUM, P.I.

But, they're reboots. Screw that.

I actually like the reboot of MacGyver, but mainly due to the cast (George Eads especially). But I was never really a big Cagney & Lacey fan, and anyone other than Tom Selleck as Magnum is unacceptable.

The CW ordered a pilot for a reboot of CHARMED, and ABS is really reaching, because they're remaking GET CHRISTIE LOVE.

So....when can we look forward to remakes of NANNY & THE PROFESSOR and MY MOTHER, THE CAR?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

We watch HAWAII FIVE-0. More for the missus than me as McGarrett is obviously supposed to be a superhero. 

I just can’t see anyone other than the original actors in those roles. Ugh. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm happy to have X-FILES back. Though not as good as in its prime, it's still very good. 

I would have hated it if they'd done a reboot, so glad we got Anderson, Duchovny et al back.

And the TWIN PEAKS return was just phenomenal.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

CAGNEY AND LACEY as two...LOS ANGELES cops. 
No.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The one thing I hate about the MacGyver reboot? Murdoc. In the original show, Murdoc was the Joker to MacGyver's Batman (so to speak), and was fairly cool. But the new version is lame.

Let me put this way: I wouldn't be too upset if they just had Jack put a bullet in Murdoc's head on the new show. On the original, most of the Murdoc episodes were standouts.

(If you haven't watched the new MacGyver, but watch The Flash, the actor who plays Murdoc is the same actor who played Abra Kadabra.)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Reboots have the feeling of graverobbing about them, while revivals are more like "Hey look--the patient is healthy again!  We'll have you out of that bed and running around in no time!"

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Sam Houston wrote:
now it seems like this is the "go to" idea for today's TV. Is it because creating new characters and stories can't be done or are too challenging to do, so it is easier to go back to familiar ideas? What are your thoughts on this trend?

Brand, plain and simple.  To cut through the clutter of hundreds upon hundreds of shows, networks, cable channels and even Netflix have found that name recognition trumps nearly everything.  People have short memories, but MURPHY BROWN ran for a decade and was the recipient of a number of Emmy awards.  People remember it and the press it's getting upon the announcement at a revival is worth every penny CBS is spending on it.  That's exactly why they're doing it and why every studio is mining their catalog for the next reboot or revival.  It's not a lack of originality.  It's the market.  When consumers (read: us) make a revival of FULL HOUSE a hit, it's inevitable that everyone else will follow suit.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Speaking about the merits of revisiting MURPHY BROWN specifically, I think it's the perfect time. There's no current series that focuses on a newsroom (GREAT NEWS focuses on the newsroom as much as GREEN ACRES did on farming) and in this age where the media is being attacked front, back and all around, I can't imagine a better situation for a show to offer a counterpoint to the notion of "fake news" than MURPHY BROWN. Looking forward to it!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |