Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies
Topic: Steven Spielberg’s WEST SIDE STORY remake Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Pros & cons, let's hear 'em!

Personally, I'm excited for it, as I've often wondered what a full-on Spielberg movie musical would look like, and two of my all-time favorite Spielberg scenes are the dance numbers in 1941 and TEMPLE OF DOOM.

Would I have preferred an original musical, or perhaps a remake of a lesser attempt (SOUTH PACIFIC springs to mind)?  Sure, but considering Spielberg has noted for decades of his desire to finally tackle a musical (and the fact that, hey, he ain't gettin' any younger), I have to think he's going to put all his cinematic eggs in one basket and go all-out with this new version of WEST SIDE STORY.

And really, it'll be nice and long overdue to put some real Latino actors in the some of the lead roles.  Now the next question:  Will this be a period piece, or a modern update?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John Leguizamo did a bit on his old weekly comedy series where the gang members from WEST SIDE STORY were confronted --and slaughtered -- by modern gang members.

Two things come to mind: the original film is of its time and place and does not need to be remade.

And modern gun-toting drug-dealing gangs do not lend themselves to that music. (If the music is different, it's not WEST SIDE STORY.)

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since there are significant differences between the movie and the broadway show it is based on, that is enough of a pro for me to be behind this. 

As to changing the music, that happens nearly every time a stage music is done.  The music is in the hands of the musical director. Since this was birthed from the stage, I can certainly accept changes from one film to another.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And modern gun-toting drug-dealing gangs do not lend themselves to that music. (If the music is different, it's not WEST SIDE STORY.)

Indeed, if the tone is modern gun-toting drug-dealing gangs with different music hasn't Baz Luhrmann already done (almost) this.  

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Indeed, if the tone is modern gun-toting drug-dealing gangs with different music hasn't Baz Luhrmann already done (almost) this.

His ROMEO+JULIET certainly came within hailing distance!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |