Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who
Topic: Is The First Dalek Serial The "Last" Dalek Story? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From a social media friend (who has given me permission to share this):

QUOTE:
Some say that the first Dalek story was, in fact, the last Dalek story. Having suffered many defeats, they've retreated back to Skaro, and hence it is the "end" of the Daleks. All other stories would take place before this. The rise and fall of Empires would explain why the Daleks were a bigger threat early in their evolution.

Interesting.

It's fun to consider such things (this is not meant to be a pedantic topic, and I don't lose sleep over such questions), but the Time War complicates things. Did the Time War take place before or after the first Daleks serial? Does that question even have merit or validity within the context of time travel? 

I realise this post is gibberish in a certain sense - I can't write successfully about paradoxes and time travel - so if you understand my words, you deserve a prize.

Thoughts?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 01 February 2018 at 3:33pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Besides the Daleks, there are the Thalls. They were also on Skaro in the first story, with no stories of their time as space-farers (during one of the Pertwee stories), only legends of the initial war.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've pondered this on occasion over the years. It sort of makes sense. Clearly the Doctor's encounters with the Daleks are not in chronological order from their perspective (altho they are often played as if they are).

That the "dying race" encountered in the first arc represents the end of their history is a not unreasonable assumption.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Thals that the third Doctor and Jo Grant encounter on Spiridon are from a time period long after the 1st Doctors first encounter with them on Skaro. They are dubious when the Doctor claims to be a figure from their legends (though it was a real thrill for me to hear Jon Pertwee mention Ian, Barbara and Susan).

Talking of Thals, the 7th Doctor was happy to let the Hand of Omega destroy Skaro in Remembrance of the Daleks. I always wondered if the Thals had been wiped out or left Skaro to the Daleks at some point before the planet's destruction.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've pondered this on occasion over the years. It sort of makes sense. Clearly the Doctor's encounters with the Daleks are not in chronological order from their perspective (altho they are often played as if they are).

=======================================================

That seems to be the case with The Daleks, but they present his encounters wth Davros as being in chronological order at least from Genesis of the Daleks through to Remembrance of the Daleks.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have not paid much attention to Davros. I consider "Genesis of the Dalkes" one of the most fannish entries in the Doctor's history (pre-Moffatt). Ooo! Look! He's half a Dalek! Ooo! Look! They're called "Kaleds"!!*

Yuck.

* That's super clever, see> Cuz they didn't make it "Kelads"!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Kaleds" was a retcon of course - in the first story we're told that they were originally called "Dals".

Dalek continuity is a classic example of the makers not really worrying too much about the fine details. This was a weekly programme that went out once and that was it. No internet, no repeats, no home recordings (apart from a few fans making audio copies).

In the Dalek Invasion of Earth the Doctor tells Ian and Barbara that the events of The Daleks took place "a million years" in the future and these invading Daleks were from their "middle period". The Chase gave them time travel capabilities so from that point anything was possible  and in The Daleks' Master Plan, set in the year 4,000, they have an empire.

The Power of the Daleks sees the Daleks recognise the newly regenerated Doctor and in Evil of the Daleks we meet the Emperor. The civil war between the humanised Daleks and the others was supposed to be the end of the Daleks. The Doctor even calls it, "The Final End." Terry Nation was trying to get a Dalek series off the ground and refused permission for them to be used in the programme.

When they finally reappeared in Pertwee's Day of the Daleks time travel was again involved. Apparently there was originally to have been a line referencing the supposed "final end", stating that the humanised Daleks had been wiped out.

At this point The Daleks still fits as the "last" Dalek story. Then, as Andrew mentioned, Nation had the Thals in Planet of the Daleks come from a time long after the events of The Daleks.

And all that's before Genesis came along and kicked over the apple cart!

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 09 February 2018 at 11:00am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have mixed feelings about Davros.

On the one hand, he was an unnecessary reboot/re-imagining. The Daleks seemed to be compelling long before he came along. When I first saw GOTD, I thought, WHY?

That said, his presence led to other things (and he did seem to gain a purpose at times). I liked that the Dalek Civil War came about, but maybe there could have been a Dalek Civil War even if Davros had not been created. I don't know.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I honestly preferred the Daleks being more 'mysterious'. Their home planet, origins, and (fictional) creator didn't appeal to me. I preferred them to just show up..., try to conquer X planet with Y 'foolproof plan', and have the Doctor win. ;-D But then, every Dalek story had to be a Davros story...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |