Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Solo - SPOILERS begin Pg. 4 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oddly enough, the trailers almost make this look like a Marvel Comics' STAR WARS flashback story, as drawn by Carmine Infantino, come to life!

Back to Top profile | search

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not that I'm optimistic, mind you, but general audiences pretty much just want a good ride on the roller coaster, fan agendas be damned.

STAR WARS out of the gate in 1977 was HUGE...I was only 10 years old at the time and my memories may be tainted due the passage of time, but there has't been anything since that has captured the General Audience the way STAR WARS did back in 1977...

By 1987, STAR WARS was pretty much abandoned by the General Audience...no new movies, the Marvel Comic was cancelled, the Ewok movies and cartoons were aimed at children...

In my opinion, Lucas missed a huge opportunity to keep the franchise alive at that point. STAR TREK had the DC comic, the film franchise, the Pocket Book novels, models...really the only thing missing was a decent toy line...

In the late 80's, it was the hard-core STAR WARS fans keeping the flame alive with the West End Games...Archie Goodwin was trying to get DARK EMPIRE published at Marvel's Epic line, which then died on the vine once Goodwin went to DC...

As a hard-core SW fan, I can see how other hard-core fans where disappointed by the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy, as well as a lot of other stuff...

Unfortunately, what the hard-care fan cares about, the General Audience doesn't. 

There is more money in the General Audience's hand than the hard-core fan's...and Disney knows that...

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

New trailer:  Click!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If that trailer existed in a world where STAR WARS (1977) never happened, I'd most likely be intrigued. But it doesn't.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's interesting that the trailer definitively pins down where it falls in the Star Wars timeline by citing Chewbacca's age. If he's 190 here, that puts the film ten years before the original Star Wars, which, like the prequels, feels too close to where we started. It feels like there should be a little more room, perhaps. 

Overall, the film looks fine based on what was shown there. I can't help imagining how much more charming and unimpressed the main character would be if played by an "American Graffitti" aged Harrison Ford, but the premise invites the comparison. I just hope that I'm not plagued thinking how much better the film would be "if only..." the entire time I'm watching it. 

I'm on board at this point, more for Donald Glover than anything else. I feel a bit disloyal to the brand by taking a similar p.o.v. to this as so many have taken to the Abrams Trek films, but after the prequels, Star Wars was damaged goods anyway.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
...feels too close to where we started....

Yeah, but if the more human characters age more or less as we Earthlings do, they really couldn't go back much farther. Harrison Ford's Han Solo was no kid, but he wasn't really that old of a guy, either.  If they went back much farther in the new "SOLO" film, Han would be a teen-ager.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"The Old Republic was the Republic of legend..."

So says the first page of the novel by "George Lucas". But very quickly the sequels started compressing the timeline. Suddenly it seemed everything happened within the lifetime (or close to it) of one twenty year old boy. Don't "legends" take longer than that to form? Especially for people who were alive at the time (Han) to dismiss key elements?

We still "remember" Davy Crockett at the Alamo, and embellish the tale rather than erasing it. The Egyptian empire continues to intrigue and even inspire us, as do the Greek and the Roman. Would galaxy spanning Republics fare less well?

In 1977 I walked out of the theater with the sense of a long story. One about which I wanted to learn more. Then Lucas chose to tell us another story entirely.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of the few bits I liked in Jackson's FELLOWSHIP movie is this from the opening voice over: "History became legend. Legend became myth." It's close enough to the spirit of Tolkien, even though these lines are not from his book. 

What they remind me of, though, is STAR WARS in re the Republic, the Jedi, and the Force, etc. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I find I went from mild disinterest when this project was first announced to something akin to genuine enthusiasm, now.  The trailers look good.  The cast is populated with actors I like across the board.  And Ron Howard is a skilled workman who hasn't directed a movie I've disliked and has one or two in his varied career that I really dug.  Call me crazy.  This could be great. 

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't know. It somehow manages to take classic Star Wars elements
(star destroyers, the falcon etc) and shove them into a generic scifi
actioner. I'd watch it it, but I'm afraid every single time Han Solo
appears in the trailer I'm left thinkIng 'that's Han Solo?'

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Someone upthread mentioned the Infantino-era Marvel issues, and I think that's another reason I'm so easy-going on this particular flick - the different types of genre adventures the Marvel series had before the whole dreary EU got locked down starting with Dark Horse and the off-model, distinct stylist approach of each artist.  Those Marvel SW comics are just as formative and important to me as the original movies, and this feels like one of those brought to life.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yup, that's gonna be my mindset going in, Dave!

My son is excited to see it, and I'm enjoying the vibe of the TV spots more & more.  Not looking to be blown away, just hoping for a good time (even if I still feel a Han Solo prequel story is a bad idea!).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I see that the Millennium Falcon is not quite the shape
we saw in A New Hope, which brings me to a point that
has bugged me since 1977...having the cockpit to one
side must make it a bitch to pilot! It would be like
driving your car with a partition down the middle of the
car extending to the tip of the bonnet(hood)!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I can't get excited about SOLO.  The one character in the SW universe I don't think needs an origin story is Han.  I'm not interested in seeing the Kessel Run or obtaining the Falcon or him meeting Chewie and Lando for the first time.  The one character I think should retain some mystery is Han.  Doesn't mean the film won't make a bajillion dollars, but I'll be hard-pressed to pay for a ticket.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

My thoughts exactly. I'll (maybe) catch this film when it reaches cable.

-C!

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

A mini-tour of Lando's Falcon when it was all nice and new.
I enjoyed this more than I should have.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

My problem with going in expecting it to be similar to the Marvel Star Wars comic is that I'm going to be disappointed if Crimson Jack and Jolli aren't in it...

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Han & Chewie pilot the Falcon together for the first time clip

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Unfortunately, Chewie being a pilot in a prequel ranks right down there with R2-D2 suddenly being able to fly.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

All I kept noticing in that tour was how much stuff wasn't fastened down!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Unfortunately, Chewie being a pilot in a prequel ranks right down there with R2-D2 suddenly being able to fly."

I'm not sure I follow this... Chewie isn't supposed to be a pilot before the events of the first STAR WARS (1977)?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I saw Rogue One in the theatres and was pretty happy with it. I'd like to see if they can repeat that level of quality in Solo. I skipped watching The Last Jedi. I probably wouldn't watch Solo if I was one of the many older fans turned off by the latest installment of the sequels. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 05 May 2018 at 9:20pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Early word on SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY is:

...surprisingly positive!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

JB: In 1977 I walked out of the theater with the sense of a long story. One about which I wanted to learn more. Then Lucas chose to tell us another story entirely.
Sums up my feelings about the franchise, pretty much.

My wife saw SOLO at a press screening on Monday and she enjoyed it. She's not a hardcore SW fan but thought the film was a B to B+.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Apparently (according to one of the co-writers of this movie) Lando is pansexual/sexually fluid because that's how the writers interpreted Billy Dee Williams (and now, Donal Glover's) portrayal of the character. Excuse me, did I miss something?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lando-calrissian-sexual -fluidity-solo-star-wars_us_5af77d59e4b00d7e4c1b37a9

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |