Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: "Trek" Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For some reason, this morning I found myself remembering the small degree of confusion I experienced when STAR TREK was aborning.

Y'see, my Dad had a habit of using "trek" conversationally, and he would always use it a defined in the dictionary: a long, arduous journey. Sure, he'd use it in an exaggerated fashion ("Now we have to trek all the way back to the store!"), but the meaning was clear.

So I was surprised when STAR TREK gave us what was essentially voyages thru space aboard a luxury liner. Nothing "arduous" there!

One of my (many) reasons for being so disappointed with ENTERPRISE was its failure to come thru on the "life on a submarine" promise, and once again show us luxurious space flight.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

At least Mel Brooks never gave us STAR SCHLEP.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Space, schmace, you just can't find a good egg cream out there!"

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks, Mr. Byrne. I was just drinking some diet soda... which has now been coughed up and splashed on my monitor, I laughed so hard.

One of the concessions Hollywood and Beautiful Downtown Burbank has had to make on such shows and movies has been the incredible amount of elbow room on the craft. Submarines, tanks, star ships... all are plenty big because, obviously, cameras gotta fit! I long considered that space is a premium on such craft... especially those in outer space. The bigger the craft, the more air they have to move when they start, let alone people and equipment and the ship itself.

So, what could the show have been called to reflect its not-quite-so-submarine-tight quarters? "Wagon Train to the Stars" probably wasn't very good, and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Galaxy" was a little ungainly. Maybe "Star Quest"?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Star Expedition would be more precise, but doesn't have the punch of Star Trek. The Trek bit is a bit odd, but the two terms together have become like a single, new entity through long familiarity, like Bat and Man fused to become Batman.

The premise couldn't be better stated than that opening dialogue though. These are the voyages...

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wolfgang Peterson had no qualms filming DAS BOOT on a real submarine.

Just sayin'.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rob - I'll wager that Roddenberry would have been agreeable to filming on a starship, had he been able to find one... :)

Might be funny to think of the three Star Trek leads in an Apollo capsule... "One more time, Jim! ONE MORE TIME with his 'be logical, Doctor' and I'll kill him! I swear, I'll kill him!"

"Calm down, Doctor, and have some more Tang."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |