Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: New Wrinkle on FF, Apparently... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One would think that the FF have gone up against enough temporally-savvy opponents that one of them might have detected a power-drain however slight and "sped it up" through time manipulation.

But then, Marvel only just thought of this. I do think that Ben has far less motivation to find Reed and Sue now, and might want to just chuck Johnny through a Negative Zone portal for a few weeks until his skin condition clears up and he can lead a normal life again.

On the whole, the thing seems as fannish and weirdly arbitrary as Ordway's attempts to slash the Marvel Family's powers whenever two or more of them were in battle at the same time. 

As was mentioned earlier; fanboy overthink.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My comics come in monthly from Westfield comics, so I haven't received issues 2 or 3 of the Marvel-Two-In-One series.

Well, at least now I have some idea where they are going with this series.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I guess Marvel thinks there needs to be some "excuse" to bring back a flagship title...

Michael Hillie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think it'll turn out to be a psychosomatic or survivor's guilt kind of thing.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"New Wrinkle on FF, Apparently..."

Why?  Nothing wrong with the characters, why add a "new wrinkle"?  There was nothing wrong with them in how they were created.  So stick with it.

As JB said, sigh...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The "why" is pretty simple. It's been several decades since the time when writers were content to simply carry the stories and characters forward, without overturning the apple cart.

I blame MAN OF STEEL, in many respects. That seemed to set the template for "reboots", and SO many writers consider their assignment to a title to be a reboot. They want to "make their mark" on the characters, and they give little consideration to the FUTURE of those characters.

As I have said before, writers and editors still ask "Wouldn't it be cool if. . . ", but there are few who ask the next very important question: "But then what?"

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The new writers often confuse "growth" with "change".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And I find despicable the practice of writers who come onto a comic and immediately have to make it "their own" by radical changes.

What the hell ever happened to the idea of a new writer coming into the sandbox, playing with the toys as he likes, but leaving them the same toys, and then cleaning up and leaving it usable for the next writer? Are there not enough Fantastic Four stories to tell WITHOUT fouling up the basic concept?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Agreed, Mr Sofer.

I know I peddle this a lot (sorry), but I still believe there are fresh stories to tell. Despite searching, I can find no record of a Fantastic Four VS Juggernaut battle. I'd love to see that (Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny all utilising their talents against an unstoppable force). 

Have the FF ever fought the Destroyer? Or the Mandarin? 

And I'd pay good money to see the Thing battle Abomination. 

These are all encounters I don't think have happened (if they did, they'd be rare). Those are great tales to tell.

And it applies to other superheroes. Instead of another "Year One" or "Year Zero" tale, I'd rather see fresh encounters, e.g. Superman VS Riddler (brains vs brawn) or Batman and Robin taking on Metallo. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 16 February 2018 at 12:07pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

...fresh stories to tell...

•••

Here is another disadvantage of the greying of fandom. In the Silver Age, when the "lifespan" of a fan was thought to be about five years, writers could actually repeat stories, as when a Superman strip story -- Bizarro -- became a Superboy comic story.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'd be ok with this new concept if it fit in with past story lines. So how long was Thing off on BattleWorld? 3 years? 1 year in comic book years? 

Sue on family leave doesn't count since they would still have family holidays or get togethers and recharge.

So if the symbiotic effect wasn't noticed before because they have never been apart from each other for more than 1 to 3 years, it could make sense to be noticed only after the right amount of time of separation.

But.....even if that were true, thats too long of a time to matter in comic books. That like an eternity before you'd notice.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

3 years? 1 year in comic book years?

•••

Please don't do that!!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |