Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: COUNTERPART Post Reply | Post New Topic
Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anyone watching this?
I find it intriguing so far, and JK Simmons is brilliant. You can immediately tell his to "versions" apart.

It's clear that the creators have watched FRINGE, but that's not a bad thing. 

Back to Top profile | search
John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I caught what was apparently a preview, a while back, and altho I enjoyed it, I had trouble imagining it maintaining my interest.
Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm really enjoying it...years ago (decades, probably) I read a book by Frederick Pohl, The Coming Of The Quantum Cats, which was a multiverse-type
of story, different iterations of the same people interacting with each other.

Possible spoiler (but not really), so inviso on

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
One of the characters in the book is a concert violinist in one universe and a government operative in another
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail
Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm watching it. I hope the pace starts to pick up soon.
Simmons is really good.

It reminded me of Fringe also although the last season was
my least favorite of the series.
Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

the last season was my least favorite of the series.

Probably mine too, though there was some cracking episodes there and the finale was a proper send-off. 
Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sounds intriguing !
Back to Top profile | search | www
Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Been watching and like it quite a bit. It has a feel of being a cat-and-mouse intelligence game kind of movie with the additional element of... well, you gotta see it. There have been some surprises and not everyone is who they seem, apparently. Well worth it so far!
Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

J. K. Simmons is fantastic in this.  

I've seen 'full body' acting before but Simmons just nails everything different about the two Howards in his performance -- posture, face, vocal inflections, even the way his clothes hang off him -- to the point where "our" Howard reads as older than his spymaster counterpart without any additional makeup (though I wouldn't be surprised if they did do some subtle makeup to enhance this aspect).

Also some nice name symmetry going on.   The surname "Silk" applied to 'our' Howard makes you think 'soft'.  The same surname applied to other Howard makes you think 'smooth'.

There's a lot of profanity, but it seems natural... especially coming from spymaster Howard.   The nudity seems gratuitous, like the directors and producers have a fetish for Baldwin constantly ripping her shirt off at inopportune moments.   It's distracting in a "we can get away with this so we are going to do it to death" sort of way -- much like how the STARGATE SG-1 pilot film kind of looks funny with it's gratuitous "Showtime" nudity compared to the rest of the series.

I think the series would do well to not delve too much into the whys and hows the two universes became duplicated.   I've seen far too many series start to creep up it's own arse when they start to embrace their own internal logic and lore.  It's best to think of it as a spy show with a sci-fi twist rather than a sci-fi show with spies, IMO.

One thing they seem to emphasize is that there's the potential for the counterparts to be very similar people, even though their life circumstances might be different.   In "our" Howard's case his career seems to have been neutered behind the scenes by his wife and higher ups, so that he didn't turn out like spymaster Howard.   It almost seems like an experiment designed to see if someone would turn out completely different.   Food for thought.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |