Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 14
Topic: I Just Talked with William Shatner (Plus FanExpo ’18) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Did these two cons encourage you to, perhaps, do more in the future?

•••

Quite the opposite.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2018 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

After reading that John Byrne was doing two appearances, the chance to meet John Byrne was too good to pass up. I have a married couple that I have been friends with for years and we all packed up and headed for Toronto from Syracuse, NY. We arrived on a Friday night and went to Saturday's show. Mr. Byrne's line was long Saturday and I finally got into line in the late afternoon. The gentleman at the end of the line said, "I'm the end of the line." I thought that was obvious until someone said they cut the line off. I had a chuckle at my own expense and was determined to get in line on Sunday nice and early. 

Sunday comes, I get into line, and meet several very nice fans and had great conversations. The line went very quickly and I was able to tell Mr. Byrne how much his work meant to me and how sharing his work with my stepson helped our relationship. I didn't have anything to sign so Mr. Byrne asked if I wanted a poster, signed it and shook my hand. What a wonderful gesture/experience. Now I'll have to decide to display it at home or in my classroom once my wife frames it.

As the show was winding down my friend asked me how the day went. I showed her the JBF badge proudly. She said, "You know you signed that in the wrong place, right?" It turns out I had signed where Mr. Byrne's signature was supposed to go. We had a good laugh about that one. 

Finally, I've shared a few copies of New Visions with my David and he picked up a copy at one of the tables where they were selling the t-shirts for the convention (I love the larger hardcover). Thank you Mr. Byrne. 

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Morning JB . How was the forum turnout in Toronto .
And thanks again for the great experience .

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There were, by casual count, about a dozen Forum folk at the con.

Harold Walls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had a great time at Fan Expo Canada.  It is my local con and I was very excited when it was announced that John Byrne would be attending this year. Thank you again Mr. Byrne.  

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Gary Cody relates an amusing moment. He was sitting in the front row for one of my panels, when an audience member asked if any of the characters in ALPHA FLIGHT were based on real people. Gary heard an immediate chorus of whispers from people who did not know he was sitting right in front of them. ”Gary Cody! That was Gary Cody.”

I had Gary stand, to a huge round of applauses.

I also mentioned that sitting next to Gary was the Forum’s own Cory Vandernet, who got kicked in the head by Captain America in one of the Stern/Byrne issues!

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Could someone who bought the New Visions Omnibus please tell me what the page count is?

FanExpo is going to be selling copies of it at the Edmonton Expo in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to justify it in my budget (they are charging $100 CDN for it). If it's a nice fat hardcover, it'll be easier to work it out.

Harold Walls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Could someone who bought the New Visions Omnibus please tell me what the page count is?"

"an incredible offering that includes a 350+ page,  exclusive Star Trek Omnibus hardcover" This is from the Fan Expo Canada website.  I will have to check my copy when I get home tonight.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member

Henchman

Posted: 06 September 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

First of all, I'd like to thank John for letting me be a part of his entourage last weekend. I haven't had much time to gather my thoughts since landing back home early Tuesday and having to deal with personal business expected and very unexpected.

Friday I met up with John at his signing table and he introduced me to Chris Ryall, who is a super nice guy. John was able to sneak me into the Celebrity Green Room to wait for William Shatner's arrival for the New Visions Omnibus signing. When 'Bill' arrived John introduced me I tried valiantly not to turn into a screaming 6 yr old girl, I mostly succeeded.

During the signing Gary Cody showed up, a great guy. We were both surprised at the amount of people in line for the signing.

Later, at dinner, the table discussions were wide and varied, and I had the chance to compliment Mr. Shatner on his performance of Mark Antony in a 1960's CBC production of Julius Caesar (which, sadly, I've only been able to find snippets of on Youtube) he said that he didn't remember much but he recalled that McCathyism was the theme of the production. Swoon.

So, personally, it was a great weekend, one of the best I've ever had and I have John to thank for it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

NPR aired an interview with Shatner a couple of nights ago that was recorded at the con. I only got to listen to the first half of it. I was hoping for a JB shout-out, but there wasn't one in the half I got to hear.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 14
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |